Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Civil Disobedience Event on 5/9 in Concord  (Read 61267 times)

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
Re: Civil Disobedience Event on 5/9 in Concord
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2005, 02:00:37 am »

Mike,
 You could plead "nolo contendre" which does not admit guilt but says "I do not contest this".

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2005, 08:43:40 am »

Mike,
 You could plead "nolo contendre" which does not admit guilt but says "I do not contest this".

Yep, but the only difference is when pleading "no contest", you cannot have civil suits brought against you for your actions because you did not admit guilt.  I do not see how anyone could sue me for giving a manicure, or why they would want to.
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

BrianMcCandliss

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2005, 10:23:43 am »

I believe licensing is a good thing---maybe not in all areas---but certainly in some such as in the
financial sectors---it helps to prevent scamming and rip-off artists. Also, it is good for weeding
out those who are not qualified to practice in their professions for various reasons(I can just
hear the "statist" accusations coming from every which way! . . .) :)

Licensing is fine-- licensing LAWS aren't. If a person isn't licensed, then it's my own business if I want to do business with him or not anyway; and I don't need paternalistic state laws telling me I can't, like I'm a child who's too stupid to know what's good for him.

Maybe I have different ideas from the government, about what makes a good professional-- or maybe I just think that it's worth the risk;  I have the right to make that choice if it doesn't directly involve any non-consenting party. I want to pay for services performed, not a license! I'm very impressed that he jumped through the all right government-hoops to get his license, but I don't care to pay extra for it-- not when I can go to someone just as qualified and cut out the middle-man (i.e. the state).

One lawyer told me "if you want to go to someone who's not a licensed attorney for legal help, you're crazy."
I responded "Thanks for deciding that for me--  but that's my right too."

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2005, 11:07:47 am »

Licensing is fine-- licensing LAWS aren't. If a person isn't licensed, then it's my own business if I want to do business with him or not anyway; and I don't need paternalistic state laws telling me I can't, like I'm a child who's too stupid to know what's good for him.

Precisely.

These are paternalistic laws.  We are being protected from our own rights and responsibilities.

There is no need to say anything else.   :)
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

Gabriel

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2005, 11:25:16 am »

One lawyer told me "if you want to go to someone who's not a licensed attorney for legal help, you're crazy."

I think the correct response to this would have been "May I see your license to practice psychiatry?"

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2005, 11:31:12 am »

Please don't confuse Certified with Licensed.

Licensed: might or might not qualified, but has paid for a license to do something to a central board (usually the State in some form)
Doing business without a license in a licensed profession - almost always illegal.

Certified: is considered qualified by a body which is trusted to know these things and perform some form of testing of the individual.
Might private, might state-run, and there might even be competing 'certification' groups to increase the free market.
You trust the issuing body to hand out certificates only to people they have vetted, as a sign of proven knowledge/skills.
Hiring some uncertified - nothing against it, if licensing isn't an issue.

(Voluntary) Certification - GOOD
(Mandatory) Licensing - BAD

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2005, 12:10:21 pm »

Yeah, a LOT of people I talk to are confused about the difference.  They'll understand the difference when they find out I'm in jail for selling manicures.

MichaelY

• Friend of the FSP
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2005, 03:11:48 pm »

Yeah, a LOT of people I talk to are confused about the difference.  They'll understand the difference when they find out I'm in jail for selling manicures.
You, sir, are a hero!

Pledging $50 to Mike F's legal defense fund or for some cookies and cigarettes (whatever is needed).
Where do I send it?

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2005, 03:24:25 pm »

Mike Fisher
7 Lamprey River Park
Newmarket, NH  03857

Thanks!   :)

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2005, 06:16:57 pm »

I believe licensing is a good thing---maybe not in all areas---but certainly in some such as in the
financial sectors---it helps to prevent scamming and rip-off artists. Also, it is good for weeding
out those who are not qualified to practice in their professions for various reasons(I can just
Are you insane?
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2005, 06:18:48 pm »

Licensing and Certification are 2 entirely different things.  You are (along with many of us) in favor of Certification... not Licensing.

You can work without a Certificate.  You cannot work without a License.  You could start small or cheap, learn on the job, and get a certificate... It's a piece of paper someone trusted issues to you when you prove you have talent/skills.
Are both of you insane?
It is good to know those accountants are certified....otherwise they might not give out good advice about that Enron stock I own. ::)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2005, 06:28:48 pm »

You are going about it just right Mike. I would plead "guilty" also...you are not trying to find a way around this law....you want the law to disappear. :)

Greenbacks

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2005, 07:44:23 pm »

How does this promote the "welfare of citizens of the State of New Hampshire"?

insure that people have been properly trained in how to clean their equipment...

excerpt:
"if someone is doing a manicure on you and blood gets on the instrument and if the instrument is not sterilized, the next client could be exposed to whatever bloodborne pathogen you may have, which could include anything from hepatitis C to HIV"

http://wcvb-tvhealth.ip2m.com/index.cfm?pt=itemDetail&item_id=8059&site_cat_id=37

caveat emptor

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2005, 07:56:44 pm »

How does this promote the "welfare of citizens of the State of New Hampshire"?

insure that people have been properly trained in how to clean their equipment...

excerpt:
"if someone is doing a manicure on you and blood gets on the instrument and if the instrument is not sterilized, the next client could be exposed to whatever bloodborne pathogen you may have, which could include anything from hepatitis C to HIV"

http://wcvb-tvhealth.ip2m.com/index.cfm?pt=itemDetail&item_id=8059&site_cat_id=37

caveat emptor

Caveat Emptor, "buyer beware", translates to a warning that customers are responsible for verifying the reputation of a business before purchasing a product or service from it.  This is the opposite of licensing.

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2005, 08:00:26 pm »

"There is no evidence to support [HIV] transmission occurring through receiving a manicure, pedicure, haircut, massage, etc. HIV is only known to be transmitted through sexual, blood (primarily needle-sharing), and mother-to-infant contact.

Manicurists and hair salons are required to sterilize their equipment between uses. If for some reason you suspect that this is not the case, you can ask about their sterilization techniques (if they do not sterilize their equipment, the department of health deserves a call).

Even without sterilization, it is unlikely that HIV would be transmitted via manicures. The odds of coming into contact with HIV infected blood are small, and HIV does not survive long when exposed to the environment."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Up