Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A "big name speaker" has yet to be announced. Who is it?  (Read 30522 times)

Rocketman

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Statism Sucks
Clint Eastwood "libertarian" interview
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2005, 05:44:41 pm »

I know it won't happen, but there is one name on my mind. Clint Eastwood. Think of what he could do for publicity, not to mention the Second Amendment activities!

On a more realistic note, maybe we should keep Penn and Teller in mind for 2006.

Clint is a "libertarian" but not a very principled one. The interview that the LP posted on their site is kind of embarrassing to watch... he's losing it... old age is setting in.

Here's the email I sent to Hardball:

Hey Chris, I love your show.

I just saw your interview with Clint Eastwood, and I noticed that you seemed interested in his explanations of libertarianism.  Good for you, but you should know that most self-styled (small l) libertarians don't think Clint's a very principled libertarian.  I'm glad you asked those questions, but I'd really love to see you have a real libertarian on the show if you want to discuss the status of liberty in this country.  Hell, can you talk to Stossel?  He doesn't use the word "libertarian" much, but he exudes libertarianism.  MSNBC should offer him a jillion dollars and give him his own show! 

Or, for a real story, invite Jason Sorens or Amanda Phillips from the Free State Project.

By the way, I liked the way you said the U.S. is "still pretty libertarian" on some issues.  You implicitly ackowledge that liberty is our legacy in this country, and that liberty is being traded off and/or abandoned for other values.  Sad but true.

______________________________________________________________________________________

And yeah (*sigh*), I really do love Hardball.  :P
5/13/06: I'M HOME!!!!!!!!!  #401!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
Re: Clint Eastwood "libertarian" interview
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2005, 02:59:21 am »

I loved Chris Matthews when he was the rebellious "conservative" at CNN. Ever since his migration to the channel formerly known as MSNBC, he's made it clear that he's just a bomb-thrower. He has no principles; he is against whoever is in power, but especially if it's a Republican.

Kevin

Rocketman

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Statism Sucks
Re: Clint Eastwood "libertarian" interview
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2005, 05:57:56 am »

I loved Chris Matthews when he was the rebellious "conservative" at CNN. Ever since his migration to the channel formerly known as MSNBC, he's made it clear that he's just a bomb-thrower. He has no principles; he is against whoever is in power, but especially if it's a Republican.

Kevin

Love (*sigh*) is irrational, Kevin.  Anyway, I've been cheating on him, since The Dukes of Hazzard has been coming on at the same time.  ;D
I only saw the Eastwood interview because it was posted on lp.org
5/13/06: I'M HOME!!!!!!!!!  #401!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EclecticBuddha

• FSP Participant
  • Carlos Baerga Is the Greatest Man Since Iron Man
Re: A "big name speaker" has yet to be announced. Who is it?
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2005, 09:39:29 pm »

so I may have an opportunity to drive from here in OH up to NH for possiblt 3 days... Wed. Thurs. and Fri.... possibly Sat. if I can get someone to cover me... so I was wondering, is everything going to pretty much be seminar/class type deals??? and is there going to be any more info on the events listed on the itinerary before porc-fest?

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2005, 07:19:27 am »

so I may have an opportunity to drive from here in OH up to NH for possiblt 3 days... Wed. Thurs. and Fri.... possibly Sat. if I can get someone to cover me... so I was wondering, is everything going to pretty much be seminar/class type deals??? and is there going to be any more info on the events listed on the itinerary before porc-fest?

Look forward to seeing you there!  Not everything is seminar/class oriented.  Saturday, and Friday (to a lesser extent) is more 'seminarish'.  There's also a hike scheduled for Friday, a variety of 2nd Amendment activities on various days, and a concert on Friday night.  Thursday, there is a mock Town Hall meeting.  There's lots of variety, definitely not all seminar/class like.

A significant update to the schedule was recently posted here:

http://freestateproject.org/news/festival/schedule/

More updates will be coming between now and the fest.

Look forward to meeting you!

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

EclecticBuddha

• FSP Participant
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2005, 11:40:42 am »

k, so heres my next question, are there any hot spots i need to avoid on the highways leading up there???  If I make it up I'll be leaving work tues. at 11p so the only thing i would really have to worry about is closed sections of roadway...

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2005, 01:22:54 pm »

k, so heres my next question, are there any hot spots i need to avoid on the highways leading up there???  If I make it up I'll be leaving work tues. at 11p so the only thing i would really have to worry about is closed sections of roadway...

Don't drive through NYC. Coming from Ohio, the NY State Thruway should be a good option for you actually. MA and NY will charge you a fair amount for tolls along the way.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

lloydbob1

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2005, 03:09:38 pm »

The tolls on the Mass pike from NY to Rt. 91 are, either, not much, or , non-existant.  Go East onn the MA pike and Turn north on 91 (free) and go thru Mass. into VT and keep heading north to(VT) Exit 17, Wells River, VT, cross into NH at Woodsville on Rt. 302 and go to Littleton, where you can take a secondary road to Lancaster, or, stay on 302 to Rt. 3 north to Lancaster.
 Or, you can stay on 91 to exit 19 and take 93 to Littleton. You'll spend a lot of time in the Peoples State of Vermont with this route, but, it is direct.  The visitor centers on 91, will give you maps, but, as I would suggest to anyone coming to NH, get a copy of The New Hampshire Atlas and Gazeteer, published by DeLorme.  It has all of NH and the parts of VT that you will be concerned with on your trip.
I hope this helps.
Lloyd

citizen_142002

• Friend of the FSP
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2005, 09:25:06 pm »

There is a "temporary" border patrol checkpoint on I-91, just south of the Lebanon, New Hampshire exit. It is usually only up and running on the weekends. It is known as "white person checkpoint" because if you are white, you pretty much get waved through. That may not be true on a weekend night though, and especially if you have plates from a state outside of the area. Just a heads up. You could take an exit to the NH side of the river, before the checkpoint, and the cut back across to 91 when you hit Lebanon. It could cost you some time, but if you had some less than legal goodies in the car, it would be a good idea not to push it.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2005, 10:33:10 pm »

Are you suggesting that someone might not obey the law, in all its respects?  Perish the thought! :)

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

EclecticBuddha

• FSP Participant
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2005, 11:30:48 am »

Unless i pick something illegal up while im there I wont have any problems... thanks for the concern though.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2005, 05:17:44 pm »

Mmmm... fireworks :)

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

freedomroad

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2005, 11:32:20 pm »

Too bad I will not be able to see the big name speaker's speech.  As soon as Michael Badnarik speaks I have to get ready and then head to the 2005 Liberty Dinner.  I am sure I am not the only one in this boat...

FreeBoB

« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2005, 12:01:43 am »

How long does it take to drive from Rogers to Plymouth State?  We've got 1:15 from the end of Jim Bovard's speech to the start of the Liberty Dinner at 6:00.

Brian

freedomroad

« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2005, 01:14:24 am »

How long does it take to drive from Rogers to Plymouth State?  We've got 1:15 from the end of Jim Bovard's speech to the start of the Liberty Dinner at 6:00.

Brian

That's how long it takes.  however, I have to leave the speech area, go back to my tent, get my thrift store sports coat and other clothes, take them to the changing area, change, and then leave (at the same time many others are leaving the campground)...and I'm meeting my date at the college (she lives in Derry), so I'll need to be a few min. early

Yeah, I will not have time for one min. of Jim's speech.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up