Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A "big name speaker" has yet to be announced. Who is it?  (Read 30519 times)

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
Re: A "big name speaker" has yet to be announced. Who is it?
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2005, 09:53:21 am »

Jason said:
He's written several books, and has skewered, sliced, and diced with his research both the Clinton and Bush Administrations. The kind of research that he does is something that virtually no one else I know of does - at least, no one else does it nearly as well as he does it.

If this ain't Jim Bovard, I give up.

Bingo.  You and Pat K got it.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2005, 09:56:23 am »

Bingo.  You and Pat K got it.

Ding, ding, ding! We have two winners. What do we have for them, Seth?  ;D

The book of his that I really enjoyed was Lost Rights, which I read in '95 or '96, and then gave to several friends and family members. A must-read for libertarians, although it will increase your blood pressure.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2005, 10:00:23 am »

Hmm... not that big of a name.  I've heard of Ron Paul and Michael Badnarik.  I'm sure he's a good author, but I don't know if he's a "big name". 
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2005, 10:27:31 am »

Hmm... not that big of a name.  I've heard of Ron Paul and Michael Badnarik.  I'm sure he's a good author, but I don't know if he's a "big name". 

Well, I suppose he's well known to some "sectors" of the libertarian movement and not others... He writes for the Wall Street Journal, so if he likes what he sees,...
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

FTL_Ian

• Golden Porcupine
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2005, 10:36:11 am »

Ohh.. now that would be valuable.  Is he a member?

freedomroad

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2005, 10:43:04 am »

If he was a member, he would likely appear somewhere on this page, http://freestateproject.org/about/endorsements/

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2005, 01:10:45 pm »

Nope... AFAIK, he hadn't even heard of the FSP before the invitation. So this is something of an outreach effort as well. WEW and Ron Paul of course both know a lot about the FSP; it'll be good to reach out to parts of the movement that haven't heard about us yet.

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2005, 01:55:54 pm »

Just to clear up some misconceptions...   ;D

At least a couple people were reported as coming in this thread that I'm not even aware of:  Vin and Sunni.  If they're coming, that's more than cool, but they're not on the Saturday lineup.  Sunni may well be there and may even be involved in some of the 2A stuff (I'll check with the 'chief gun nut' on that one).  Pretty sure (just a stab in the dark here) Vin's not going to show. 

Jim Bovard *is* on the Saturday lineup.  I would have had the schedule revised by now, but I have had a touch of a family issue that has slowed me down...

And, just to keep the 'excitement' rolling...  There were a couple of other mentions here that are notable.  It now appears very likely that Poker Face will be playing Friday night, two one-hour sets ;)  I expect to have the details of that confirmed shortly but the 8-ball says outlook good.

And...  the details aren't set yet, but one other of the names mentioned in this thread may be there presenting on Friday.  Hints:  not a huge name (and not a huge person... Pat), but becoming quite well known in libertarian circles, mentioned (as far as I can see) only once so far.   And you all might have to keep guessing for a while because I won't spill the beans until this person is confirmed.  ;D

Oh, and yes, Badnarik is coming and speaking on Saturday also ;)

V- (live from Los Angeles)

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2005, 03:40:23 pm »

OK, this is getting out of control. Last night I dreamt it was Arnold Schwarzenegger, with Maria in tow distributing pastries to the cheering throngs.   ::) Stop messing with my subconscious, Jason!!

Holy crap what a nightmare, sometimes you really have to suffer for liberty.

Though I just chuckled to myself thinking about Arnold saying the word Porcupine. ;D
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

Herself

• Western Science *is* *so* wonderful!
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2005, 04:42:42 pm »

Sunni Maravillosa says [...] she's speaking...  [...]
But Jason used the pronoun "he".  Hmmmm.....
Oh, yes, Sunni will be there. I like her, think she's great, but I wasn't sure whether most people here would consider her a "big name." [...]
     Pete's sake, Jason, just how many syllables does a name need to be big?  "Mavarillosa," f'gosh sakes, a lovely name but not at all small!

;)
     --H
Civilization in the United States ended by 1913.

lloydbob1

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2005, 08:41:13 am »

Nope... AFAIK, he hadn't even heard of the FSP before the invitation.

Now, there is  a Frigg'in Travesty!

lloydbob1

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2005, 08:44:04 am »

I would love to see Richard Boddes come to one of these things.  I could hang out with him all week!

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2005, 08:41:31 pm »

I would love to see Richard Boddes come to one of these things.  I could hang out with him all week!

I've been communicating regularly with Boddie lately, some about the FSP and some about jazz music.  I think he'd come if we paid him (or at least paid his way).  We'd need to raise some more money to do that, though, and the speaker lineup for saturday is full already.  But maybe next year ;)

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

citizen_142002

• Friend of the FSP
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2005, 03:23:43 pm »

I know it won't happen, but there is one name on my mind. Clint Eastwood. Think of what he could do for publicity, not to mention the Second Amendment activities!

On a more realistic note, maybe we should keep Penn and Teller in mind for 2006.

FTL_Ian

• Golden Porcupine
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2005, 03:35:12 pm »

Clint is a "libertarian" but not a very principled one.  The interview that the LP posted on their site is kind of embarrassing to watch... he's losing it... old age is setting in.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up