Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New and homeschooling  (Read 2923 times)

farmgirlshelley

New and homeschooling
« on: April 26, 2005, 02:57:47 pm »

Hi All!!
I am at the beginning of my journey for freedom and self sufficiency, and I would like to consider New Hampshire. I am looking for a five plus acre farm with a house, hopefully with lots of bedrooms. I am hoping to live the life that John Seymour talks about in his book The Self Sufficient Life and How to Live it.
The only concern I have is that I am homeschooling, and I like my freedom to school as I see fit. I have heard that there is mandatory testing and a whole lot of prying into your life and to me that is NOT good, and is enough to make me stay away. Does anyone here homeschool or have any knowledge into this?? Please email me or IM me!
Shelley
AIM FarmGirlShelley
email FarmGirlShelley@msn.com

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: New and homeschooling
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 03:33:13 pm »

Hi All!!
I am at the beginning of my journey for freedom and self sufficiency, and I would like to consider New Hampshire. I am looking for a five plus acre farm with a house, hopefully with lots of bedrooms. I am hoping to live the life that John Seymour talks about in his book The Self Sufficient Life and How to Live it.
The only concern I have is that I am homeschooling, and I like my freedom to school as I see fit. I have heard that there is mandatory testing and a whole lot of prying into your life and to me that is NOT good, and is enough to make me stay away. Does anyone here homeschool or have any knowledge into this?? Please email me or IM me!
Shelley
AIM FarmGirlShelley
email FarmGirlShelley@msn.com

Just sent you an email. :) I don't have kids, so I'm not quite as well versed in homeschooling regs as those who've already moved there and are doing homeschooling, but hopefully the info I sent you will be helpful.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

jeanius

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 05:38:11 pm »

Hi Shelley and welcome!

I am just now moving to NH and am concerned about the regulations as well.  I do hear that they are quick and easy to comply with, though I don't have personal experience with them yet.  But of more interest is that people are *already* working to reduce the regulations.  Dawn Lincoln, Seth Cohn and others have made some progress and with more of us arriving in state I am *certain* more progress will be made.  If you are so inclined join the FSP homeschooling list at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FSPHomeschooling/ and ask questions.  Feel free to email me anytime for support! 

Once again, welcome!

Jean
jalexander@freestateproject.org

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 01:52:14 pm »

Partial homeschooling deregulation passed the NH House last month but it still has three major hurdles before becoming law.

http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 04:07:29 pm »

Also emailed

Hi All!!

Welcome!  You'll find plenty to recommend NH...

Plenty of homeschoolers both native and FSPers to talk to....  And in my private email, I'll point you a few people who are... and can give you more concrete 'we do this' answers.

As for testing/etc.... a bill currently going thru the Senate will reduce Homeschooling regs but since it's not a done deal, I'll just describe the current (and note what will be removed if it passes, which we hope will happen (we've had good news so far, it passed the House))

1) Notify the State that you are homeschooling.  This is just a simple "I'm homeschooling my kids" letter.   No fuss.

2) *If HB406 passes this is gone*
     Submit a curriculum for approval to the "school of record". (Which could be a homeschool friendly private school for instance) (There are lots of ways to do this... from Internet lesson plans downloaded and summitted, to purchased plans, homebrewed plans, to true individualist plans).  Following this curriculum is NOT a requirement, either... this is pure paperwork in action.  While we have some rare stories of disapproval, they are few enough that it's not disapproval that is the main problem, but the sheer fact that homeschooling doesn't really need or fit this model, and it's not flexible...  And so we're working to remove it.
     *If HB406 passes this is gone*

3) During the year, keep some sort of portfolio of work, and at the end of the year,  some form of 'review', which can be individual evaluation by someone, a standardized test of your choice, or some other agreed to method to track a student's progress from year to year.   This is very flexible, and is not 'take this test' or 'meet this standard' but only meant to monitor that students are getting a education and making progress in some form.  So long as that happens, everything is fine.  Failure to demostrate some form of progress puts you into the 'probation' class, and that is the only real place where 'prying into your life' might be an issue.  I dare to say that almost all homeschooled kids can show progress (especially compared to public schooled kids), so if you're already homeschooling, I doubt this will be an issue for you.

So in summary, it's 1) Tell the State you homeschool, *2)Curriculum?*, and 3) Some form of Yearly evaluation of your choice

Not perfect, but we're working on improving it... and even current law is pretty easy if a bit intimating to start with...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 04:14:16 pm by SethCohn »

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 04:18:09 pm »

Partial homeschooling deregulation passed the NH House last month but it still has three major hurdles before becoming law.

Those hurdles being:

1) Senate Education Committee - they will either recommend it Pass (Ought to Pass) or Die (Inexpedient to Legislate - ITL)
Not really a true hurdle, since the bill continues either way... but an ITL would hurt it in the next step...

2) Senate Floor vote - There's 24 Senators - it needs the approval of 13 of them basically...

[If the Senate passes a version different from the House, it gets complex, let's assume it remains the same]

3) Governor's Desk  - Governor Lynch will sign this bill (Think Positive!)

FreeBoB

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 08:00:52 pm »

05/10/05 Bill lifting homeschool restrictions, HB 406 passed the Senate Education Committee 6-0!!

This is yet another terrific change moving forward in NH!   ;D  Here's the NHUnderground Forum thread to learn more:

http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=793.0

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 03:33:48 pm »

05/10/05 Bill lifting homeschool restrictions, HB 406 passed the Senate Education Committee 6-0!!

They approved it with an amendment... We'd still like to see the original pass the Senate, without the amendment, which could still happen.  If they add an amendment, it gets a little more complex, and will go to a joint committee of conference and then back for more votes...

mikefam

• Live free or Die:death is not the worst of evils
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 06:22:12 pm »

i have a friend that home schooled without state interference
 it was easy  but not without incident
Pages: [1]   Go Up