Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: working out of state?  (Read 11546 times)

nonluddite

• Caveat Emptor!
Re:working out of state?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2003, 01:20:25 am »

"Driving for the Free State"

Much has been said of the fact that FSPers would not be willing to drive an hour to be able to live in the Free State and get a job out of state.

Where I live, I know of many people who regularly drive/carpool upwards of 1 1/2! hours each way to work every day, and I can assure you that they aren't making $100k!  Fully half the workforce of 10,000+ drives at least 1/2 hour to work and the vast majority do "support" work (e.g. janitorial, secretarial, etc.).  The 1 1/2 hourers want to live in the big city and the 1/2 hourers want to live where the cost of living is lower.

So if a FSPer must have/wants a job with a longer commute to have a better job than what could be had currently in the state is a choice that every individual must make for themselves.
"I'm trying to free your mind, but I can only show you the door.  You're the one that has to walk through it."- Morpheous, The Matrix

Hank

• "The Men That Don't Fit In"
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2003, 04:07:14 pm »

What's wrong with driving less than an hour to work out of state?
Leave the traffic jams, pollution, crowds, and other city things out of state.
Go there, make your bucks, and come home to peace and quiet.
If you're really ambitious, you can recruit for more porcupines while out of state.
There's A race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
And they roam the world at will.
http://www.internal.org/view_poem.phtml?poemID=295

freedomroad

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2003, 05:24:45 pm »

Oh, an update.

I was recently in Cheyenne.  I drove from Ft. Collins, CO (a powerhouse when it comes to job creations) to Cheyenne, WY.  This drive took me 25 min., but I think it would take the average person 31 min.  At the most, this would be around a 45min. (during heavy traffic or bad weather and from different parts of the cities).  Heck, 31 min. is not long and that is NOT stop and go traffic.  In fact, for most of the route I saw hills and mountains.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up