Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Just joined the forums...  (Read 14657 times)

gh05t

Just joined the forums...
« on: March 16, 2005, 09:58:32 pm »

Hey everybody - my name's Joe and I just joined the forums.  I did some looking around and saw some other introduction topics, so I decided to do the same.  Here goes:

I'm 25 years old, and I'm a Corporal in the Marine Corps.  I've been to Iraq and back, if anyone wants to talk to me about that conflict and the others we as a nation are involved in please feel free.  I believe you'll find that my views are not what you'd imagine them to be - I've kept an open mind, and I hope that others will as well.  After all, I am a libertarian as well as a Marine - so please don't write me off as a brainwashed jarhead.

My primary job is microcircuit, cable, and aviation instrumentation repair; and I'm also qualified in fiber optics.  My secondary job in the USMC is environmental compliance.  In other words, it's my job to make sure that the marines take care of the environment (how's that for dichotomy?), and I love both of my jobs.  Both me and my girlfriend are libertarians, although we're both pretty new to the fold.  We'd like to move to New Hampshire eventually, but of course...The Marine Corps doesn't allow a person to just pick up and move to another state.

I guess I have a few questions...basically, considering my qualifications, does anyone know about the jobs market in NH?  I went to both of the websites listed and got nothing, really.  I have friends in Kittery, Maine - and I just visited up there last October.  But to be honest, that was the first time I'd ever been that far north and I must confess I don't know much about the area.  From what I saw though, I really would love to live there.

Anyway - I'm glad I found the site.  I hope I can make some good friends here, and I hope we can all achieve this goal we're working for.

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
Re: Just joined the forums...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 10:48:46 pm »

Welcome!  Wish I had an immediate answer on the jobs question, but I have a feeling that some of my more informed colleagues will be able to lend some advice.  I don't know which two sites you saw, but you might want to try monster.com, dice.com, nhjobs.com, and some university sites (Dartmouth, UNH, etc.)
It's time for President Paul.
www.ronpaulhq.com

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 11:05:58 pm »

Welcome ghost,

Hope you make it back in one piece and they don't stop loss you!  Have you joined the FSP yet?

Regards,
Ian
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 11:10:58 pm »

Welcome Corporal gh05t.
The job market in the seacoast towards Nashua and up to Manchester is pretty good right now. You might ask your friend to send you copies of the Union Leader, Foster's Daily Democrat,  and Portsmouth Herald to get a picture of the job market.

Gabo

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 01:18:54 am »

Questions for gh05t:

Were you libertarian when you joined the Marine Corps?
If so, I find it strange that a libertarian would join the Marines.

Did anything you were told to do upset you?
Did you ever say "no" when asked to do something?

How bad is it really out there?
What is the average opinion of the troops?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but I guess I'm just a curious teen.   ;D

Thanks for responding if you can, and welcome to the FSP!
I love my country!

It's my government that sucks...

Printer

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 08:21:05 am »

Questions for gh05t:

Were you libertarian when you joined the Marine Corps?
If so, I find it strange that a libertarian would join the Marines.

Be cautious with stereotypes!  I was a libertarian when I joined the army.  At that time (many years ago!), I believed that I was furthering the principles of liberty around the world, and while I did not really care for the discipline, I felt it was a worthy sacrfifice to make for something I believed in.  (This was back in the days when the Soviet Union still existed.)  Unfortunately, time has shown that I should have been more concerned about the preservation of liberty in this country!  (As someone wrote a year or so ago when the Iragis were struggling to begin the process of writing a constitution: Let's just give them ours--we're not using it!)

In any event, welcome to the forum.  With your skills, I doubt that you will have any difficulty finding a job when you are ready.

Rocketman

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Statism Sucks
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 09:09:18 am »

gho5t,

I'd say we need all the non-brainwashed jarheads we can get ;D

Welcome to the forums, and I hope you'll join the FSP if you haven't already.  I'm sure many of us would love to hear your thoughts on the current war effort... I expect you'll find there's very little consensus among FSP members on foreign policy issues.

My bumper stickers say "I Support the Troops, not the Policy" and "Real Patriots Oppose Empire."  What do you think?
5/13/06: I'M HOME!!!!!!!!!  #401!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FTL_Ian

• Golden Porcupine
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 09:12:32 am »

I believed that I was furthering the principles of liberty around the world, and while I did not really care for the discipline, I felt it was a worthy sacrfifice to make for something I believed in.

They had you fooled, huh?  Recruits don't realize they only further the goals of old men in Washington...

What sort of brainwashing techniques do they use to get you to believe you're "defending freedom", or "furthering liberty"?
Ian

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 09:20:47 am »

What sort of brainwashing techniques do they use to get you to believe you're "defending freedom", or "furthering liberty"?

Oh, come now. ;)  I think that's a pretty common perception among those who even consider joining the military--and it some cases it may even be true.  (Well, at least defending freedom...)  I don't think it takes much if anything to paint that picture of the military for most folks; what takes effort is convincing them of the opposite.
It's time for President Paul.
www.ronpaulhq.com

lloydbob1

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 05:46:34 pm »

Even though our government has misused the military for more than 100 years, people join with the intent and willingness to, actually, defend U.S. citizens.
While few die, actually, defending us, some die while training to defend us.

gh05t

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 08:24:19 pm »

To Ian:

I don't mean to mislead anyone - I've already been to Iraq, and I returned from that deployment on June 8th, 2003.  I was there for the beginning and actually did not experience any combat, thankfully.  I may be sent back, but that's not a certain thing.  I appreciate your good wishes though, thank you.  I have not joined yet, but I do have plans to do so very soon.

5th concerto:

My friend is actually an active duty Marine like myself, so he doesn't have full access to those circulars.  But his family does - and that's a great idea.  I'll see if I can get my hands on some of them.

Gabo:

Great questions, thanks for asking them.  Before I joined the Marine Corps, I had never heard of Libertarianism.  I was raised as a southern democrat in a mostly rural setting, until I was a teenager when I moved out of my parent's house and moved around a bit.  None of my friends were politcal at all, and politics just simply never meant much to me until I was right in the middle of the business end of it all.  I voted for Gore in 2000, but I did so out of reflex - like most Americans I had no idea who he was or what he stood for (if only I'd known) but I just kind of..."did it."  Which is, of course, one of the big problems with our political process.  I wouldn't have called myself a Democrat then, or ever.  I've always registered as an independent, and I will continue to do so.
Nothing that I have been told to do has upset me.  But as I said above, I did not experience what would be called "true combat."  I'm an avionics technician, and I was onboard a ship during the war.  I went through some sandstorms, saw missiles go overhead, and the ship (although I didn't actually see the missile) was the target of a missile attack.  I don't claim to be some salty, battle hardened grunt...I'm glad that I'm not, although I wouldn't hesitate to become one if it were asked of me.
That's because I honestly believe that not all things that are done with bad or greedy intentions have negative outcomes.  I personally believe and I have it on good sources that a lot of Iraqis are quite happy that we came to Iraq.  They feel like they're better off, they appreciate it a great deal.  They would like us to hurry up and go home, but most of them understand that we cannot do so just yet.  Ask me if I would go to Iran or something like that, and I'm not so sure.  If you would like to know if I could pull the trigger, then the answer is yes.  I am very thankful that I have not had to as yet, but I would not hesitate if the necessity presented itself.  We can talk more about it later, I don't want to ramble excessively in only my second post here...
But to address your final question, it's really not bad at all.  The troops are motivated, and really believe in the cause they're fighting for.  At least all the ones that I know of.  I know more people who have volunteered to re-enlist than I do people who have gotten out.  The pay and benefits, while not excellent; are still pretty good.  The food is not exactly the best, etc, etc...
Of course, all of this does nothing to address the ethical nature of the war, but as I said, we can talk more about that later.

I hope I haven't overlooked anyone's questions - I really appreciate the warm reception as well.  I'm going to visit my parents this weekend, so I may be a little slow with my next response.  I'm also going to check out Sage Francis at the Cat's Cradle on Saturday - I don't know if anyone's in the area, but if anyone's interested in hanging out that would be the time and place.  I'll be the tall redhead, and the only Marine in the place, I'm pretty sure.

Thanks again, everybody.

Gabo

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 09:43:51 pm »

Thanks much for the detailed response!   :D

It's good to know it isn't total hell and chaos out there.
It's also nice to know we have at least one soldier who isn't brainwashed working on our side!  ;)
I love my country!

FTL_Ian

• Golden Porcupine
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 11:05:58 pm »

Ghost, I know you're just recounting what you've heard from people on the ground, but for the record:

While there may be some Iraqis who appreciate what we've done, there are plenty who do not.  None of this death and destruction was worth it.  Thousands of our boys and girls are dead and wounded, as well as hundreds of thousands of Iraqis.

George Bush thinks it's worth it, but I know I don't, and I'm sure the parents of our dead and wounded troops don't either.

Ghost, being in the military, how would you feel about its complete abolition?  Or abolishing the Army / Marines?

Just curious,
Ian

Gabo

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 12:37:25 am »

I say complete military abolition just won't work.

When I say it won't work, though, I don't really mean it can't work.

The problem is that too many people think we need military muscle so people won't pick on us.
If we maintain some military, it'll be a deterrent agaisnt attacking us.

I propose the only part of the military we keep is the National Guard....

as long as it's revised to use no tax dollars, and anyone with any combat skills can join.
That way we have a volunteer army that only activates when needed.
But other countries will also know we do have military to use if we need it.
This will also prevent all the militarists from going on killing rampages. ;)
I love my country!

lloydbob1

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 08:53:41 am »

We should start by disolving our historical, inneficient, often, redundant Armed Forces: Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, and all of their equipment that is designed, not to protect our shores, but, to invade other countries.  Their traditions and Generals, often, help, lead us into war.
We need to replace them with a highly electronic monitoring system to avoid attack.
We need some kind of effective anti-missle system, as attack by missile will become more and more likely as more countries get missile technology.
A national Guard, alone, will not protect us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up