Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanting to bring family...  (Read 1934 times)

jbeeby

• Free and alive.
    • Portfolio of John Beeby
Wanting to bring family...
« on: May 17, 2005, 02:10:08 pm »

Hello all,

This is an exciting idea that I wish to be a part of. When I say wish, I mean wish to move to NH. I am interested to learn more about the FSP but the site can give me more information. What I do not see is a job listing for those who wish to move and be a part of this.

I am interested to find out what kind of opportunities/jobs there are for the graphics and arts fields. I am a graphic designer/artist who does freelance graphics, webdesigns, logos, etc.. for small business and organizations. I have a pretty extensive working knowledge of the industry and at the moment I live in a big city that has little opportunity for my services. I am not just interested in starting freelance work in NH but also wondering if there are any business out there that are looking for someone with my skills. Perhaps a web-development company or graphics company. I am looking, obviously, for adequate pay and growth opportunities in this field.

I have 5+ years experience, I know and own pretty much any graphics program you can think of and I have my education from the Art Institute.

I have a few websites currently on the internet now that were done by me as reference to some of my skills. I will post those web addresses here if anyone wishes. Please reply and note that you wish to see them. As well, any other criteria, such as a resume, portfolio, etc. please let me know, I can provide those too.

Thank you all for your time and I hope something can be worked out here.

John Beeby
Houston, Texas

What has never been in dispute is that the fall of the south tower, just 56 minutes after it had been hit, marked the first time in history that a steel-framed highrise structure had suffered a total collapse due to fire.

citizen_142002

• Friend of the FSP
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Wanting to bring family...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 02:17:27 pm »

Have you tried going to Monster.com or running a google search to find graphic design companies in New Hampshire?

jbeeby

• Free and alive.
    • Portfolio of John Beeby
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 02:31:09 pm »

Yes I have done that with very little yield. The idea of a graphics artist needed in a business isn't usually something that is ran in a paper or online. The jobs fill fast usually by recruitment from staffing agencies. Which I am personally against. Staffing agencies have lost me more good jobs than if I would have shown up to work naked spouting curses. And personally I do not need someone representing me when my art does that work.

No, my idea by posting is to just ask the community. I believe that in order to get people to move to NH in cause of the FSP, that there should be some help in relocation. The biggest part of relocation 100s of miles away is to offer jobs of some sort. If the community has no jobs then people simply will not come and live there. No matter how lax the tax is. No matter how liberated. I am not critisizing FSP in anyway by saying that, I just think that there should be more of a source besides the same source that has never offered any jobs in the past in and around my own location. Like monster.com. And mind you I live in Houston, Texas, 4th largest city in the US. Even here, jobs of the artistic nature are generally word of mouth and who you know. If perhaps someone who is in that field just happens to see this post and knows of some guide, business hiring, or opportunity into this field in NH, then they may be able to pass on the word to me.

Ie; website development, screen printing, graphics design, logo design, media packaging design, sign printing, printing, animation studios, film and audio studios.

These are some of the fields I relate to and have experience in.

I appreciate the offer of direction to monster.com. I will still continue to look on that site in order to find something.
Thanks again, and to those who know something about this field, thanks in advance.
jbeeby
What has never been in dispute is that the fall of the south tower, just 56 minutes after it had been hit, marked the first time in history that a steel-framed highrise structure had suffered a total collapse due to fire.

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 03:46:35 pm »

The biggest part of relocation 100s of miles away is to offer jobs of some sort. If the community has no jobs then people simply will not come and live there. No matter how lax the tax is. No matter how liberated. I am not critisizing FSP in anyway by saying that, I just think that there should be more of a source besides the same source that has never offered any jobs in the past in and around my own location.

New Hampshire has plenty of jobs.  That's why I pushed so hard for New Hampshire to win over Wyoming in the FSP vote.

Unfortunately for those moving, 15% of jobs are filled through resumes and 85% of jobs are filled from inside a company or through other means.  If you want to get into a company, you must find the back door and go through it.  That means you have to be here.

Save up a few months of income, just move, and start volunteering in the local business association.  You'll personally know almost every local businessperson within a few months.  That's a lot of back doors into companies in your community.
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi
Pages: [1]   Go Up