Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet?  (Read 11604 times)

bookish_lass

Re: Internet?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2005, 09:57:29 am »

Are we a bunch of dorks?  Can't we "camp" without being wired?  :P

Now now, use the proper term.  We're Geeks, not Dorks! :)

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2005, 09:59:17 am »

I've been called lots of other names too.  ;D

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2005, 11:20:18 am »

I am sure there will be plenty of people just camping.
I was thinking it would be cool to keep the world informed about what was happening at porcfest.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

mvpel

• FSP Participant
    • Aidoann
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2005, 12:15:03 pm »

It'd be fun to upload pictures to the website, let folks see what fun they're missing, without having to jump in a car and drive to the nearest phone line.

I might be in Russia that week, so I'd love to be able to keep up with the fest from the foothills of the Ural mountains.
New Hampshire Notary Public - Merrimack Valley Area - Silver Accepted

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 11:33:49 pm »

My co-host Manwich has a wireless laptop.  Twould be nice to be all netted up if we're broadcasting live from the campground...  The keyword being "if", as nothing is close to official yet.
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

PassionatePantherrr

• FSP Participant
  • Passionate
    • The Passionate Pantherrr
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2005, 11:37:04 am »

Heheh, yes, indeed, and some of us are card-carrying Geeks (Mmmm-Mensans ;-) )

CNHT

• Lower Taxes, Less Government, More Freedom!
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2005, 10:31:32 pm »

I asked today and there is either a modem to connect to your ISP using a local dialup number or, you can use the wireless they are planning to finish by then. I am not sure if wireless woulld be in the hotel rooms or in a common area like a rec hall where one would go with their laptops.

I asked because I need to stay connected for my org and job alike, and will be taking photos, writing reports, and uploading the information this way.

I susbsribe to a few ISPs so I should have some choice but of course hope it's cable wi-fi for speed.

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2005, 04:44:41 am »

or, you can use the wireless they are planning to finish by then.

Ohhhh don't tease me like that... are they really???  That's *great* news! ;)

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

stimmy

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2006, 11:53:39 pm »

We should assume that they won't have it finished and bring the hardware appropriate to set up a wireless network connected to that sattelite connection. If you let me know what you have, rhull, I'll bring the rest.

mvpel

• FSP Participant
    • Aidoann
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2006, 12:29:05 am »

In 2005 they had a single WAP attached to the main building, if anyone has wireless-bridging-capable WAPs that would probably be a good contribution to the coverage.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2006, 12:31:50 am »

I don't speak geek. We'll bringing a 802.11(g) laptop, and we'll be within sight of the main building. Should we bring our g/b router, or would it serve no purpose?

Kevin

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2006, 03:51:07 pm »

FYI, as I recall the connections aren't free but are reasonably priced.  Access is available lots of places.  I think it'd make more sense for each person to connect individually.  Plus, paying a few bucks for a connection helps ensure it'll be there again next year ;)

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

mvpel

• FSP Participant
    • Aidoann
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2006, 12:08:05 am »

I probably wasn't quite clear.

Some wireless routers have "bridging" capability, where they can talk to nearby laptops, then pass the data on to another wireless router over the air, rather than via a cable:

LAP )))  -WAP- )  )  )  )  )  ) -WAP-====>INTERNET

This means that the laptop doesn't have to make the jump all the way back to the internet-connected WAP, but can just talk to the nearest WAP.

I think it may require config on the internet-connected WAP, though, so probably not something that could be done ad-hoc without involvement of the management of the campsite.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2006, 04:59:42 pm »

I did some googling and found this
It seems one can use a trusty ole Linksys WRT54G as a wireless briging router, without mucking about at the internet-connected WAP.
From the article:
So in summary, you don't need two wrt54g routers, nor do you need WDS capable routers. A single wrt54g (with the right firmware) can operate as a "client" of any other wireless router, and create a bridge so any device connected to it will be able to access your network and the internet.

I have a WRT54G; I'll bring it along just in case it turns out to be useful.
I probably won't have time to test out the procedure, but I'm willing to try it out at PorcFest, especially if I've had a few beers first  8)

And sorry for you non-geeks out there... some of us have to be connected to the internet, in order to do our jobs. We can have fun and camp out for a week, but only if we check email daily, and are able to connect to the Internet to fix any emergency computer problems back at the company data center.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2006, 10:54:18 am »

Anyone bringing a cantenna?

I had to laugh last weekend, when we were staying at a KOA (free wireless access included). One of the trailers had a cantenna aimed at the main office... maybe 75 yards clear line of sight. We were 40 yards further away, and got "very good" signal strength on the laptop's built-in antenna, even inside our aluminum-skinned trailer.

A few weeks ago, Mary spent the night at a hotel, and thought she having trouble with the hotel's wireless connection. She was showing a "weak" signal. Turned out that she hadn't selected the hotel's connection, and instead was picking up the signal from a neighboring KOA... probably 300 yards away, through hotel walls. Our experience with KOA's "Hotspotzz" connection has been very good. I hope Roger's connection is as good.

Kevin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

anything