Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gov. Lynch's budget proposal  (Read 8882 times)

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
Re: Gov. Lynch's budget proposal
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 11:09:56 pm »

I'll be buying my cigs out of state also if it passes. It's only a few miles drive for me anyway.
It's still not worth it - NH still has the lowest tax on cigs in the region.

The point is not to save money. It is a protest. They think they can up the cig. tax for anything, with impunity. They think it is a win-win situation, but I will try to make it a lose-lose situation.

freedomroad

Re: How the cig. tax increase may help the freedom movement
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2005, 12:35:15 am »

I'll be buying my cigs out of state also if it passes. It's only a few miles drive for me anyway.

The point is not to save money. It is a protest. They think they can up the cig. tax for anything, with impunity. They think it is a win-win situation, but I will try to make it a lose-lose situation.

Please note that this is a joke, but :)

If you do not want to pay the tax of $1.20 or whatever per pack, just quit smoking.  That means NH does not get the taxes, MA (or VT or ME) do not get the taxes, you don't have to pay huge shipping fees, and you don't have to roll them yourself.  You could give the $1,000 or whatever you save a year to the FSP or pro-freedom groups in NH.

Now for serious stuff...

Remember that crap about lemons
When life hands you lemons, make lemon-aid.

BTW, CO and MT increased cig. taxes this year.

You could turn this cig. tax increase as a way to promote freedom.  Remember the poem by Martin Niemoller, First they came for the...
http://www.hoboes.com/html/FireBlade/Politics/niemoller.shtml
Change the poem to make it relate to NH and get people to post it at public boards and in colleges.  Other good places are in the parking lots of bars and smoke stores.  Make sure to put a few words about NH Underground and a link to http://www.nhfree.com somewhere on the flyer. 

If you want to roll your own cig.,  you could still make it into a chance for activism.  You could get groups of people to roll at your house and play copies of pro-freedom radio shows (like Freetalklive.com or the local NH tax radio show) or TV shows (like John Stossel specials or the TV show BullS*** by Penn and Teller).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 12:38:41 am by NH Bound »

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2005, 06:22:01 am »

Were can you buy cig wrappers with the $ sign on them. ;D
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2005, 08:57:19 am »

Keep in mind that for this protest to have any effect you have to recruit quite a few smokers to help you, otherwise you're just spending more money than you should.  Plus you're supporting a state that has even WORSE cigarette taxes than NH.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

anything