Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gov. Lynch's budget proposal  (Read 8383 times)

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
Gov. Lynch's budget proposal
« on: February 16, 2005, 11:21:32 am »

I posted this on the NH Undergound site, as well:

Well, Gov. Lynch has proposed his first budget, and it didn't take long for him to prove to be a liar. When he campaigned, he said he would propose an increase in the cigarette tax of "about 15 cents". Well, 28 cents is not 15 cents, Governor, and I hereby proclaim you a liar. You also made a lot of promises concerning integrity and honesty in government. Being a liar, Governor, shows a lack of integrity. Also, choosing to lay the additional tax burden on a minority of citizens takes a lot of courage. Well Governor, your plan will backfire. Here is how:
I will work to the best of my ability to defeat your budget, (and you, when you seek re-election), with its "courageous cigarette tax". I plan on notifying all my representatives, telling them if they support this budget, with this tax increase in it they can forget about my support for re-election. By the way, I voted for most of my current representatives.
Another step I will take: I am a smoker, meaning I currently am taxed approx. 50 cents per pack of cigarettes. I hereby state that if this tax passes, I will stop buying my cigarettes in NH. This means that you will not only lose the "New tax" income, but also the income from the current tax. I will encourage others to do the same. It will cost me a little more to do this, but I am willing to pay the price in order to make you and your supporters pay the price.
Governor Lynch, you are a liar, and a disgrace to this state.
Alan Milner

Greenbacks

Re: Gov. Lynch's budget proposal
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 01:23:41 pm »

Well, 28 cents is not 15 cents

and "about" 15 cents is not 15 cents either...

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 11:02:58 pm »

Your point?

Greenbacks

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 11:14:43 pm »

Your point?

there are certain professions where everyone knows that lying is part of the game...

hint: Gov. Lynch is one

what is more surprising then a politician who lies is that you don't know this...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 11:43:03 pm by Greenbacks »

DC

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 11:27:40 pm »

I'll be buying my cigs out of state also if it passes. It's only a few miles drive for me anyway. Does anyoneone know how much of the current tax goes for state and how much goes for national? Someone told me you can order ciggerets over the internet somewhere cheap. I know the Indian reservations sell them tax free but the ones I have seen just raise the price and keep the extra money for themselves. Hell I think I'll buy my liquor out of state also until they repeal the tax because they close at 5:30 and the selection is poor.

Whats more surprising is that you voted for him Greenbacks.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 11:29:48 pm by DC »
Governments view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves ,tax it.If it keeps moving,regulate it.And if it stops moving,subsidise it.--Ronald Reagan-- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys P.J. O'Rourke

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 11:33:51 pm »

I'll be buying my cigs out of state also if it passes. It's only a few miles drive for me anyway. Does anyoneone know how much of the current tax goes for state and how much goes for national? Someone told me you can order ciggerets over the internet somewhere cheap. I know the Indian reservations sell them tax free but the ones I have seen just raise the price and keep the extra money for themselves. Hell I think I'll buy my liquor out of state also until they repeal the tax because they close at 5:30 and the selection is poor.

Whats more surprising is that you voted for him Greenbacks.

Check out the NH Underground site. Lori knows how to buy them from the Seneca Reservation.

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 11:36:42 pm »

there are certain professions where everyone knows that lying is part of the game...

hint: Gov. Lynch is one

what is more surprising then a politician is that you don't know this...

I know they lie. My point is that goody-two-shoes, (or should i say Phony-two-shoes) Lynch CLAIMS to be Mr. Honesty and Integrity. I just pointed out he is a liar. So much for Mr. Phony Lynch.
And I didn't vote for him.  ;)

Greenbacks

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 11:47:56 pm »

My point is that...Lynch CLAIMS to be Mr. Honesty and Integrity. I just pointed out he is a liar.

yeah, but the election is already over...

you have to point it out before the election and then hope your candidate hasn't told bigger lies...

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 11:50:36 pm »

My point is that...Lynch CLAIMS to be Mr. Honesty and Integrity. I just pointed out he is a liar.

yeah, but the election is already over...

you have to point it out before the election and then hope your candidate hasn't told bigger lies...

I am pointing it out so he won't get re-elected.  ;)

DC

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 12:24:35 am »

It appears New Hampshire pays 52 cents state tax and 39 cents federal tax for a total of 91 cents tax. I was thinking that when you roll you own cigs you don't pay the tax . Does anyone know if that is correct. They have rolling machines and filters you can buy.

[update] I found this and it said when this was done in Kansas people ordered off the internet, bought across state lines, from Indian reservations and rolled their own. It says you can roll your own for 7 or 8 dollars but I saw it as high as 12 other places. I liked it where it said I hear people all the time say,'screw the state, I'm rolling my own. I'm taxed enough."    http://www.ljworld.com/section/citynews/story/128446

« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 01:11:13 am by DC »
Governments view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves ,tax it.If it keeps moving,regulate it.And if it stops moving,subsidise it.--Ronald Reagan-- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys P.J. O'Rourke

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 08:32:27 am »

It appears New Hampshire pays 52 cents state tax and 39 cents federal tax for a total of 91 cents tax. I was thinking that when you roll you own cigs you don't pay the tax . Does anyone know if that is correct. They have rolling machines and filters you can buy.

I don't know for certain but it's very likely the taxes are much lower because the expense is a lot less.  If the tax was the same per ounce of tabacco, I doubt the price for the roll-your-own cigarette supplies would be so low.  My father in law makes his own cigarettes using a kit like that and it's under half the cost from what I remember.  That would be a good way to protest the tax if it were the case.
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

DC

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 03:20:30 pm »

Great idea Fisher! I found out you get 1 ounce or one carton from each plant. it takes 60 days of frost free growing days. You need 10 feet by 10 feet to grow 50 plants or 50 cartons. I found this tabacco growing forum.   http://www.coffinails.com/forums/

SWilliams

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 03:29:28 pm »

now THAT's hard-core...

mvpel

• FSP Participant
    • Aidoann
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 04:11:05 pm »

now THAT's hard-core...

Well, I suppose if you grow your own, you'll have a head start when they finally ban it.
New Hampshire Notary Public - Merrimack Valley Area - Silver Accepted

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 03:51:55 pm »

I'll be buying my cigs out of state also if it passes. It's only a few miles drive for me anyway.
It's still not worth it - NH still has the lowest tax on cigs in the region.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything