Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't buy cold medicine in Illinois  (Read 27753 times)

Toowm

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
Can't buy cold medicine in Illinois
« on: February 13, 2005, 05:26:47 pm »

So my kids are sick and I go to Osco. They had two-for-one Robitussin, but the kids are used to Dimetapp, so I got three bottles.

Beep!... the third bottle can't be run up. The manager comes over and explains that I can only buy two bottles, so I could get a larger size, or have the third run up in a second order.

It turns out that our Governor is attacking the methamphetamine "epidemic" by signing worthless restrictions on freedom:

http://www.illinois.gov/PressReleases/ShowPressRelease.cfm?SubjectID=3&RecNum=3334%20

While I will certainly go back if I run out of medicine, do you think meth producers will go back as well?

toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat

Rocketman

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Statism Sucks
Re: Can't buy cold medicine in Illinois
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 05:41:24 pm »

Wow, I read the press release, and I can't believe it wasn't a joke.

:o "None of our children are safe, until all of our children are safe."  :o

Gotta be kidding.  Toowm, your governor is an idiot.  NH is already much less ridiculous than this, I think...
5/13/06: I'M HOME!!!!!!!!!  #401!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AaronH

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
    • Help fight tyranny in NH!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 05:39:18 pm »

I needed cold medicine a while back.  The purchase involved so much security, I thought they would hand me a 4473 type form and tell me to fill that out too!  Then
I told the clerk (who said it was to prevent manufacture of drugs)that the crooks would just go and bring it across the open border with Mexico.  It will be "federal" soon so it looks like those south of de border have a new item to pack on their human mule trains.  What insanity!

brontus

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 08:45:26 pm »

Here's one for you.  The local Fox affilate (I like to watch the Simpons) is running an "expose" on local businesses supplying "illegal" drug manufacturers with the tools of their trade.  Items that could NEVER be used for anything other than sinister purposes.  Items like scales, dust masks, and disposable gloves.  During the commercial breaks for the Simpons, they were showing clips of the news team harrassing local business owners for "helping give drugs to kids"
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 09:22:38 am by brontus »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
 -- Ben Franklin

Toowm

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 11:48:45 pm »

OK - here's an update. It's nine months later. My kids are sick for the first time since February. We've moved to NH in the interim. My wife buys cold medicine off the shelf, and even stocks up for next time. No questions asked.

You have all got to make the move!
toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat

AaronH

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
    • Help fight tyranny in NH!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 12:48:15 pm »

Now, heres where the real showdown begins.  The fed says put it behind the counter, show ID.  A state says NO!  Whats next?  This is where it gets sticky, but standing up for states rights and liberty has never been easy.   

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 01:09:43 pm »

NH doesn't say NO all the time. The Legislative Service Requests that lead to bills includes one for this issue this coming session. The NHLA may choose this one to work on but there are so many idiotic LSRs on the list.

christiec

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 07:12:03 pm »

I just tried to buy generic Sudafed at a San Francisco Walgreen's.  Requested the 96 tablet box, but they were all out, she offered me the 48 tablet instead.  I asked for two, but she COULD NOT SELL ME  two packages.  That makes sense.  In order to buy one, had to show my driver's license & have the number recorded in a log.  Thank heavens I have bought a house in NH and will be moving in 6 weeks -- don't think I could take much more of this.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 09:17:14 pm »

Thank heavens I have bought a house in NH and will be moving in 6 weeks -- don't think I could take much more of this.

Cool!
Where are you moving to?
Need help moving?

Look at all the NorCal Porcs moving.

Have you signed the pledge?
www.pledgebank.com/first1000

FreeBoB

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 10:04:20 pm »

Yes, christiec, inquiring Porcs want to know!  ;D

I know what you mean, when I read the local paper - the city is using eminent domain again against 3 business owners, empire tax credit zones, Click it or Ticket roadblocks and on and on.  Am I just especially intolerant with my house about to go on the market and my forthcoming move?  Everything seems to piss me off about this area - don't get me going about the chronic potholes...  ::)

Soon, I will look back at my time in New York!  8)

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 03:07:09 pm »

HB1713 would have created a similar problem in NH.  I testified against that bill (note: standard disclaimer http://freestateproject.org/disclaimer applies - this was as a NH resident, not on behalf of the FSP in any way).  The House passed it (ugh) but the Senate tabled it.

You can rest assured this will show up again, quite possibly in 2007. 

If any of you have any interest in defending *one* state against the onslaugt of Sudafed regulations, come to NH *quick*. :)  It seems they didn't really care that similar regulations in other states have actually resulted in me becoming ill at a cost of untold thousands of dollars to my employer.  Maybe more people complaining would help... :)

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 01:05:05 am »

Cold and allergy medicines, like sudafed, are getting harder to obtain over the counter, due to their use in producing crystal meth. Rather than bottles of free tablets, they are in bubblepacks that are hard to open in mass and distributed in small quantities. Larger quantities require a prescription and are still in the bubblepack. Doctors who prescribe are being scrutinized if they prescribe too much to individuals and in what may be deemed too large a dosage.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

djbridgeland

• moved October 2008, Second 1000
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 11:15:46 pm »

Wow, I read the press release, and I can't believe it wasn't a joke.

:o "None of our children are safe, until all of our children are safe."  :o

Gotta be kidding.  Toowm, your governor is an idiot.  NH is already much less ridiculous than this, I think...

An idot is understatement.  Blago doesn't even know where the state Capital is - he was flying daily from Chicago to Springfield, which is like a 250 mile trip, using a taxpayer funded plane.  The he decided to give free rides to Seniors on public transportation throughout the state.  Hmm what else well I think that is enough reason to want to move. 

denmorin

• the myspace
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 11:03:11 am »

In Connecticut they have been doing this for a few years. They actually went the next step and put everything with psuedoephedrine behind the counter. Now I don't know any meth addicts, but I'm pretty sure this hasn't stopped the production of crystal meth, in the same way gun laws don't stop criminals from getting guns.
Ideas are bulletproof!

doobie

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 10:00:21 pm »

Isn't the governor of IL on his way to jail with the last 4 governors?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up