Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Porcupine's Housing Guide to Manchester, NH  (Read 22612 times)

alecmuller

• FSP Participant
The Porcupine's Housing Guide to Manchester, NH
« on: January 30, 2005, 01:47:34 pm »

Hi All,

If you're looking for a place to stay in the Manchester area (NH's largest city!), there are plenty of options open to you.

For individual rooms . . .

Paul Guay, 605 Union St., 603-623-5936, $125 a week when I was there, cash only, first and last week's rent.? A nice guy and definitely liberty leaning, but he'll talk your ear off if you give him the chance.? He's probably got about 20 or 30 rooms in a couple of different buildings.? I left because my neighbors smoked and Karl had a better deal.

Me - Alec Muller, 412 Central St., 603-264-2873, $475 per month in a nice 6 bedroom house, top (4 BR) and bottom (2 BR) floor each have their own kitchen, living room, entryways, and bathroom(s).? I've been living at Karl's for the last 6 months but I've saved up a down payment and I'm in the process of buying my own house now.? I'll be able to start taking house mates between the last week of February and the begining of March.? I'll be looking for porcupines where ever I can find them, but probably posting on room mate web sites as well to fill up as quickly as possible.? Very flexible terms for porcs, pro-rated by day if you like.

For stand-alone apartments . . .

CPManagement 603-424-1700

River View at Washington Park on Country Club Drive -  Phone: 603-669-8400  Price: $775-$875  Bedroom: 1 - 2

Heritage On the Merrimack nearby in Bedford 603-644-1900 (allows dogs)

If anyone else knows of rental providers that they've had a good experience with, or if you're in the market for a place to stay, let us know!

Alec
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 09:28:21 am by alecmuller »

alecmuller

• FSP Participant
Re: The Porcupine's Housing Guide to Manchester, NH
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 08:44:18 pm »

I've gotten a closing date on the house - I'll be getting the keys in just one week! (February 17th, 2005).  I've been using Roommates.com and talking to co-workers but I still haven't officially filled any of the rooms yet, so inquiries are still very welcome.

As a random tidbit of additional info for the area:

Boston, MA -     57 minutes drive from my house, 590,000 people
Concord, NH -   23 minutes,  41,000
Derry, NH -       19 minutes,  34,000
Haverhill, MA -   42 minutes,  59,000
Laconia, NH -    54 minutes (Gunstock Ski Resort, Lake Winnepesaukee)
Lawrence, MA - 36 minutes,  72,000
Lowell, MA -     44 minutes, 105,000
Methuen, MA - 31 minutes,   44,000
Nashua, NH -    26 minutes,   87,000
Salem, NH -      30 minutes,   28,000

alecmuller

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 12:51:10 pm »

I'm still looking for roommates for my house in Manchester - $475 per month, no lease, no security deposit for porcupines.  I have three rooms open right now, and I'm living with three other people (31 year old guy, 25 year old guy, 23 year old girl).  If anyone is thinking of moving to Manchester and is interested in getting a room in a house rather than a whole apartment, please contact me.

Alec

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 10:43:35 pm »

I'm still looking for roommates for my house in Manchester - $475 per month, no lease, no security deposit for porcupines.  I have three rooms open right now, and I'm living with three other people (31 year old guy, 25 year old guy, 23 year old girl).  If anyone is thinking of moving to Manchester and is interested in getting a room in a house rather than a whole apartment, please contact me.

Alec

I'm not planning on moving to NH in the next couple of years, but that sounds expensive.  I know Manchester has competitive home prices and property tax rates better than most of NH.  Does your $475 include utilities, otherwise, how much would the total be?

alecmuller

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 06:52:03 pm »

I'm not planning on moving to NH in the next couple of years, but that sounds expensive.  I know Manchester has competitive home prices and property tax rates better than most of NH.  Does your $475 include utilities, otherwise, how much would the total be?

That includes heat, electricity, laundry, gas, snow removal, air conditioning, high speed wireless internet, and cable television (which would probably work out to $100 per month per person if we split all the bills instead of my paying them).  You could probably get a super-efficiency apartment for the same amount of money, but it wouldn't include utilities and you'd need to sign lease (this is month-to-month).  Buying a house definitely makes the most sense as long as appreciation rates stay high, but it's much less risky to live in an area for a while before committing to buying a house there.  I lived in Karl Beisel's house for 7 months before buying mine.

Alec

Rich Goldman

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 05:54:18 pm »

Hi.  My name is Rich Goldman and I'm planning on living in NH from June-August (before I come back to Baltimore for graduate school in the fall).  While I'm leaning towards Nashua (for work reasons), I can't say I'd be opposed to Manchester.  Do you still have a room available? 
  -Rich
--
Rich Goldman
Head Organizer, PorcFest 2007 & 2008

alecmuller

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 07:01:02 pm »

Hi Rich - thank you for contacting me by email last month, and I'm sorry I didn't have any spaces open.  I'm still full, and I usually only come to this thread when I'm looking for a housemate or have new information to post, but I'll keep my ears open for other housing options in Manchester.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 07:53:49 pm »

Good to hear your house is full.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Zerstorer

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 08:07:07 pm »

I currently rent a room from Alec and I can attest that this place is perfect for those relocating to NH. Ive only been here a few days and I have gotten alot done. Plan to buy a car within the next week or two then consider what to do after that.

Either Alec or I will let everyone know when I plan to move on...Concord, Nashua, Keene, whatever. I highly recommend making this a first stop. Just bring a wireless network card  ;D

alecmuller

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 02:10:30 pm »

I have at least one room available in Manchester.  Max (another free stater) is a merchant mariner and will be leaving for another tour on September 20th.  Another housemate is thinking about leaving so I may have another room available around the same time.  Rooms are $475 per month and include all utilities, toilet paper, trash bags, and cleaning supplies.  There's also no lease and I pro-rate by the day, so if you want someplace to stay temporarily (while you look for an apartment or if you're just coming to check out the area) that's fine too.  If anyone needs to get here before 9/20, I have a small office available that can serve as a bedroom (just $300 a month) in a pinch.

alecmuller

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 12:57:08 pm »

I've still got a room available starting 9/20 for anyone interested in moving to Manchester.

Simon Jester

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Peas: Don't hate them because they're round
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 05:27:58 pm »

Alec--
I'm planning on moving to NH sometime August 2006, and would like to start out just by renting a room while I'm looking for a job. But as I plan on coming with only what I can cram into my car (Honda Civic), I'd like to know if your rooms come furnished?
It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

alecmuller

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 09:08:14 pm »

Hi Geist,

I can typically furnish a couple of rooms, because mostly people bring their own stuff.  At the moment I have one spare mattress (two if you're willing to use the extra-firm California King that takes up most of a room and has been stored in the garage), a couple of small end tables, and all the bureaus you could possibly want.  I'm short on desks and office chairs, but I know of a store where I can pick used ones up for reasonable prices.

At the moment I'm all full (except for a small guest room that I use as a buffer when I know a roommate will be moving out soon), but the odds are I might have an openning by August if you want to keep me in mind.

Alec
(p.s. hey, one of my other roommates and I currently drive Honda Civics too)

CelesteJ

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2006, 07:30:15 am »

Hello Alec,

I just sent Joel Winters an email last night explaing that I'm looking for a room to rent in the Nashua or Manchester area. He was going to forward it to you. This morning I found this message board and registered in order to reply to a couple postings. I'm looking for a Tax Day move-in date and don't have much stuff. My biggest concerns are parking, utilities included, preferable with a w/d situation. I have allergies, so smoke- and pet-free is important, too.

Please call 508-451-2475 ASAP.

Thanks!

Celeste

CelesteJ

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2006, 07:34:48 am »

... or I'll call you later this Saturday morning!   :)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up