Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Citizen Legislators  (Read 1949 times)

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
Citizen Legislators
« on: January 27, 2005, 08:41:05 am »

Here in NH we have true Citizen legislators (not professional legislators), who are accessible to the citizenry. Yesterday I sent an email to one of my Representatives in support of Legislation, and received a personal reply, not a canned, generic reply. This is the way things are done in NH.
Alan

Posterity

• FSP Participant
Re: Citizen Legislators
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 11:02:37 am »

That's certainly an important benefit, and from what I understand, one of the reasons why NH was chosen as the destination state.

What kind of folks are in the state legislature?  Here in AZ we have a "part-time" legislature that consists of a variety of different types of folks, including lawyers of course, but also small business owners, stay-at-home parents, retirees, etc. -- basically anyone who can make the time to be in session when necessary.  Just wondering if it's similar in NH or different.
"...secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity..."

mvpel

• FSP Participant
    • Aidoann
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 11:23:40 am »

Since the annual pay of legislators is set in the Constitution at $200, they're all essentially volunteers, most of whom are dedicated to making the state a better place rather than fattening their own wallets.
New Hampshire Notary Public - Merrimack Valley Area - Silver Accepted

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 11:44:39 am »

Here is some information on some of my Reps. 8 Representatives represent my district which covers Exeter, Stratham, and North Hampton.
Lee Quandt and Matthew Quandt - Father and son. Lee is a Viet Nam vet. Was very active in the American Legion. Commanded the local post for many years. Both rate very high on the NHLA Liberty Index.
Douglas and Stella Scamman - husband and wife. Their family owns an Agway Store. He does consulting work, I believe she does real estate sales.
More information as I dig it up.

Posterity

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 12:22:56 pm »

Since the annual pay of legislators is set in the Constitution at $200, they're all essentially volunteers, most of whom are dedicated to making the state a better place rather than fattening their own wallets.

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention the pay.  Here in AZ, our "part-time" legislators receive $24,000 per year plus expenses.  Very different from NH, huh?  Fortunately in November, voters rejected the ballot initiative that would have raised the salary to $36,000 per year!

Another plus for NH....with such a low pay, like you said, the legislators must really be dedicated volunteers.
"...secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything