Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canadian Border Factors  (Read 3614 times)

Josey

• FSP Participant
Canadian Border Factors
« on: December 31, 2002, 03:25:05 pm »

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I believe it is a topic worth discussing for those who desire a state that borders Canada.  A border on Canada can be advantageous depending which province we border.

Idaho borders Alberta, a province with a strong independent streak and a mutual dislike for an intruding government within the general population.  With such a neighbour we'd have a sympathetic friend just on our north, and with a sepratist movement of thier own.

Montana also borders Alberta, as well as Saskatchwan and Manitoba.  The sepratist spirit is not as strong in them, but on the other hand, we'd have greater trade with the the Canadian population at large.

Alaska borders the Yukon and BC which I don't see much advantage in.  The Yukon is dependent on the central government via all sorts of subsidies and BC is basically a continuation of the left-coast.

New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine all border Quebec which everyone knows has the desire to set off on its own.  With a neighbor like us to the south, we might have ourselves a major trading partner.

North Dakota borders Manitoba, but also Ontario....which can have its advantage with being close to the trade center of Canada....but then it's also the home of the central government.

"The United States has got some of the dumbest people in the world.''
-Ted Turner

Hank

• "The Men That Don't Fit In"
Re:Canadian Border Factors
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 10:10:27 pm »

BC is basically a continuation of the left-coast
That depends on which side of the mountains you are on. There is the Vancouver side. Then there is the darn-near Calgary side.  They are worlds apart.
There's A race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
And they roam the world at will.
http://www.internal.org/view_poem.phtml?poemID=295
Pages: [1]   Go Up