Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question!?  (Read 4090 times)

jenn_dorsett

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
A question!?
« on: January 12, 2005, 05:34:59 pm »

Everybody!

Question:
  Which town/city will you move too when you get to NH?

I was thinking on a town in the Lakes Region, but can't decide on the town.
Where are YOU gonna be? :D

-Jenn : :

thoreaupoe

• FSP Participant
  • Draft Dodgers & Tax Evaders Are My Heroes
    • Whiskey Rebellion
Re: A question!?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 09:32:07 pm »

Most likely the Lebanon-Hanover corridor. :)
"It's not an endlessly expanding list of 'rights', the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery ”hay and a barn for human cattle." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 10:38:23 pm »

If I move with my employer, almost definitely the Berlin area. If I hit the lottery, then it will still probably be Coos county, but we'll spend lots of time picking out the right place.  :)

Kevin

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 11:31:57 pm »

I found out a few days ago that Coos is pronounced "Coh Oss".  Weird!

Just thought I'd share that.  ;)
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 11:43:01 pm »

And you all should know that Haverhill is pronounced "hay-vrill" 2 syllables. Portsmouth is "Ports-muth" not mouth.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 01:11:22 am »

And of course, Berlin is BURR-lin, not ber-LIN.

And I'll have to learn a whole new set of English pronunciations of Native American words. I come from the Ouachita mountains, and I know the difference between Ouachita, Washita, Wishita, and Wichita. When I arrived in Germany, I was fluent in "knoddensipper" Deutsch: nod my head and sip my beer, until I could translate the local idiom into the proper "school" German that I'd learned. For this southern boy, I don't imagine it will be a lot different in New England. ;)

We had a bricklayer build our chimney in Arkansas when I was a kid; he was from Maine, and after 40 years in the South, he still referred to something being "ohva yandah". :)

Kevin

BlueLu

• MMMMMMM! Monadnock
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 05:28:07 pm »

Can you say, Con-to-wok-o-wok (Contoocook)?  No, I have not heard it said that way by the people who live on its shores, but has to be the way the Indians said it.

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 09:42:32 am »

And of course, Berlin is BURR-lin, not ber-LIN.

And I'll have to learn a whole new set of English pronunciations of Native American words. I come from the Ouachita mountains, and I know the difference between Ouachita, Washita, Wishita, and Wichita. When I arrived in Germany, I was fluent in "knoddensipper" Deutsch: nod my head and sip my beer, until I could translate the local idiom into the proper "school" German that I'd learned. For this southern boy, I don't imagine it will be a lot different in New England. ;)

We had a bricklayer build our chimney in Arkansas when I was a kid; he was from Maine, and after 40 years in the South, he still referred to something being "ohva yandah". :)

Kevin

I have heard that the folks in Berlin have decided to go back to ber-LIN. They changed the pronunciation during one of the World Wars, (I don't know which one) to distance themselves from Berlin, Germany. Any one else know about this?

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 12:15:56 pm »

Yeah, 5th. It was changed in WW2.... I BELIEVE it was 1942 the change was made......

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

Posterity

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 06:16:26 pm »

Question:
  Which town/city will you move too when you get to NH?

I won't decide that until it gets closer to moving time, but I'm considering the southwestern part of the state.  All those Porcs in Keene make that a potential destination. ;)  The Lakes and Seacoast Regions are two other areas I'll consider.
"...secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity..."

jnoyes

• Ad Orthopraxia
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 03:03:19 pm »

Hi jenn
I got a half acre in haverhill---but am eyeing those 300+ acre parcels in landaff and trying to put together a buyers group called the white mountain land cooperative so we can get the bulk discount and bring the land price down to about 500 bucks an acre---at which point Ill by 10-20 acres and sell the house (newly built) in haverhill.
cheers
jer
The authority and responsibility between families, villages and states should be democratic only in the realms that must by necessity be commonly shared.  There is little need for state authority over the village, and precious few things should be the concern of the nation.

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2005, 09:07:25 am »

I won't decide that until it gets closer to moving time, but I'm considering the southwestern part of the state.  All those Porcs in Keene make that a potential destination. ;)

The welcome is so warm you'll forget the weather ;)

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

Posterity

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2005, 06:29:27 pm »

I won't decide that until it gets closer to moving time, but I'm considering the southwestern part of the state.  All those Porcs in Keene make that a potential destination. ;)

The welcome is so warm you'll forget the weather ;)

V-

LOL
"...secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up