Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low Tax Living - Selected States  (Read 36043 times)

BobW

• I'm a llama!
Re:Low Tax Living - Selected States
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2003, 02:32:22 pm »

Hi Mactruk,

Re # 75;

Super point, Mactruk.

It's the labor killing the American golden goose.  There are 2 components; the bloated size of payrolls and the workers being overpaid and with too generous benefits packages.

Two thoughts come to mind.  When we learn of an overseas emergency we sometimes here that the US Embassy was ordered to evacuate all nonessential personnel.  If the money to support the nonessential personnel came from the retirement package, changes just might occur.

I live in a large civil service state.  During weather emergencies, the radio announces that only essential personnel need to report to work. Words have meaning. If we could only institutionalize that in the Promised Land !

Did that 83% in Montana include contractor personnel?

BobW

arouse

• Freedom is the American way!
    • Free state of mind
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2003, 01:10:47 pm »

I wonder about other taxes in the prospective states, on personal property, for example. Where I live now, city and county ad valorem taxes make the tag for a new car cost several hundred dollars. I did a search for 'car tag prices' and 'auto licensing fees' but didn't find much. I'd appreciate any info anyone could provide.
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily lives, and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.
 - John F. Kennedy

Kelton

• FSP Participant
  • el resplandor de las llamas de la libertad
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2003, 10:58:51 pm »

I wonder about other taxes in the prospective states, on personal property, for example. Where I live now, city and county ad valorem taxes make the tag for a new car cost several hundred dollars. I did a search for 'car tag prices' and 'auto licensing fees' but didn't find much. I'd appreciate any info anyone could provide.

I've tackled that question several times and have never got enough data to build a solid comparison of the states because it is so complicated, you've got several different taxes and fees in each state, some taxes pose as fees, some fees are in lieu of taxes, some are paid annually, others bi-annually, different fee schedules for lease, for trucks, cars, ahh!  I'm going to pull-out my hair! --then you can't compare states on this issue enough to do justice without factoring-in inspection fees, smog checks, license plate fees, insurance database fees, the list is crazy.

I'll give you an idea,  just off the top of my head, though I'm feeling too lazy to go back and pull-out all my research and others' research on this so far  -- go look at the "More and Other Criteria" thread, and let me know what we have so far, if you please.  I recall that Montana is very cheap, if you own a junker, but very expensive if you lease or own a luxury car.  ID,MT,NH,AK require no safety inspection, ID is one of the lowest in registration fees, but not the lowest,  NH law allows no tax to be assessed on cars but there is still a significant fee of some sort, sorry can't be of much more help right now.

. . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue --The U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

arouse

• Freedom is the American way!
    • Free state of mind
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2003, 04:41:04 pm »

After doing more research I was able to find out more and put together a comparison spreadsheet. It's by no means complete but it's something.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2003, 04:42:10 pm by arouse »
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily lives, and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.
 - John F. Kennedy

telomerase

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free Or Die
« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2003, 08:28:48 pm »

Visibility of taxes is important as well. States like Texas are constantly imposing "fees" and excise taxes on businesses that get hidden from consumers. Even income taxes are somewhat "hidden" psychologically because they are collected out of each paycheck.

NH has one really big, bad tax, and its victims get one whopping bill every year. Much easier to campaign against  than states with a little income tax, a little sales tax, a little property tax, a little tea tax, etc. etc.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up