Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: White Mountain Land Club  (Read 40586 times)

Rearden

• FSP Participant
  • We're supposed to be activists, remember?
    • Free State Project
Re: White Mountain Land Club
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2005, 07:45:40 pm »

Not to reinforce an ongoing tangent, but I don't think it's a sure thing that this train will be built.  Federal funding is contingent upon the affected states (MA, NH, VT) each paying a big chunk of change, and while VT and MA fell over themselves ponying up NH hasn't.  The reason is that the funding was proposed out of the roadway fund but someone sued since the law says that these funds can only be spent on roadways, and a train isn't a road (duh!).  So, if you check out the site Joe links to above, you'll see there isn't a whole lot that's been done since 2002. 

Never say never, but my impression is that while it's inevitable that commuter rail will come to Nashua and possibly even Manchester, this Amtrak extension is looking less and less likely all the time. 
Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2005, 02:27:15 am »

Relative to land prices north of the notches:

http://www.unionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=59132
Housing boom reaches NH's upper tip
By PAULA TRACY
Union Leader Staff
PITTSBURG — Ten years ago, Harold Lassonde said he would "never dare" do what he is doing today.

Lassonde is constructing a 2,300-square-foot house on 2.4 acres high above Back Lake on speculation.

He is hoping to sell it quick for $415,000 and go on to the next project.

"I already have three houses lined up for next year," said Lassonde, who said the second-home market in Pittsburg is booming. Land prices are skyrocketing from the dirt cheap levels of a decade ago and buyers are flocking to snap up what is left of "God's country" at the upper tip of New Hampshire, he said.

The chalet has seven rooms, a riverstone fireplace, cathedral ceilings and massive windows taking in a view to the north of an unpopulated wilderness.

Vince Judd of Moon Real Estate in Pittsburg said prices have doubled in less than 10 years for many properties and because much of the land in the region is forever protected from development, what is left is making for a heated market.

Last week he eased his pick-up truck over narrow, gravel roads, pointing out newly constructed second homes. One after another, breaks in the dense forest gave way to new log homes, some with views of Lake Francis, First Connecticut and Back Lake. Prices for some second homes in Pittsburg have hit $500,000 or more.

On the lakes themselves, few properties are available and the prices are sky high. Only one house is now for sale on First Connecticut and it is a small camp listing for just under $340,000, with less than an acre of land.

"Up until 1995, you could get five acres for about $15,000," Judd said. "If you can find five acres now, it is going for up to $90,000 or more," he said.

Judd recalled a 1995 conversation he had with First Colebrook Bank President Tim Frizzell.

"I told him the market up here is going to explode. The Winnipesaukee area was getting overcrowded. Squam and Newfound Lake were getting developed and the next group of lakes to be developed in the state was the Connecticut Lakes," he said.

"People are seeing what we have for a value up here . . .," he said. "We have pristine lakes, stunning views and from where they are coming from, it's a steal."

While the primary market is buyers from southern New Hampshire and Massachusetts, a growing number are coming from Long Island, N.Y., Pennsylvania and Connecticut, real estate agents said last week.
Year-round tourism

From the 1930s to the 1970s, Pittsburg and its surrounding small towns were populated mostly by wildlife and a dense forest.

There were small hunting camps, many without power or running water, and a handful of year-round residents who mostly worked as loggers, guides and at the various lodges. The busiest season was fall.

In the 1970s, Catherine Dickson of Wander Inn, together with a group of other locals involved in tourism, developed a system of trails now known nationally as a Mecca for snowmobilers. It led to a new tourist season for the region that since the 1990s has surpassed hunting season.

Now, Judd said, those who have bought up land for hunting and snowmobiling are experiencing the beauty and solitude of summer as well. And that too is adding price to the market.

The year-round population has not changed in Pittsburg for at least a decade. U.S. Census data tracks Pittsburg at 960 residents in 1990, and 850 in 2000. But the number of second homes has exploded.

A recent study by the North Country Council indicates nearly one-third of all the units in the North Country are second homes compared to the rest of the state, where second homes make up 10 percent of the stock.

The report also notes that purchase prices for all housing in the North Country has increased by 57 percent from 1999 to 2003. The net number of building permits in the North Country was 531 in 2002, compared to roughly 50 in 1995.

Lisa Savard is co-owner of Lopstick Lodge and Cabins on a hillside above First Connecticut Lake. She notes that in 1991, she purchased Lopstick Lodge, eight cabins and 6.5 acres of land for $235,000. In May, she purchased one house with four acres to add to the properties for $217,000.

"It was painful to buy that. It was still a good value," she said, noting the difference in the two purchases. Savard recently earned her real estate license and plans to go into the business.
Land leases

Large tracts of land once held by multi-national forest products companies have now been protected from development and dedicated to recreation, most notably the 2003 public acquisition of the 171,000-acre Connecticut Lakes Headwaters Working Forest from International Paper Co.

The tract is now held by New Hampshire-based Lyme Timber Co., which has close to 100 camp leases on the property. Another 10 leases are about to be approved. There are also camp leases on Second Connecticut Lake controlled by TransCanada, which purchased the former U.S. Gen land. Leases on Lake Francis are held by the state Water Resources Board.

Those leases don't change hands often, but Judd notes five years ago, a camp lease was sold for $69,000; it recently sold for $95,000, with the buyer tearing the building down to build a new camp. Lease terms can range from five years to 99 years.

While the large land ownership and limited lease opportunities control the second home market to a certain extent, Judd said, the many acres of conservation land have made what is available for private sale more attractive. Land for sale adjacent to the protected tract is even more valuable, Judd said.

"The Great North Woods is the outdoor recreation playground for New England. It's a pipeline for recreation and now, it's guaranteed," he said.

There are downsides to the building boom. One is that lodging and restaurants lose when people who have been coming to those businesses get their own homes. But hoteliers said that can be taken care of by better marketing efforts to attract visitors to the Great North Woods.

Another is the fact that as prices rise and assessments go up, people are hit by higher taxes; some may eventually be unable to afford Pittsburg. Other surrounding towns are not as expensive, but they too could see a ripple effect in prices.

"I am hoping that we can keep everything in balance," Judd said. "I am optimistic it will work out."

mark1

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2005, 08:17:15 pm »

Jeez, that article does not fill me with hope. All I want is 10-20 acres out in nowhere. Looks like the NooYawkers are moving in with their big money...

freedomroad

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2005, 09:47:39 pm »

Jeez, that article does not fill me with hope. All I want is 10-20 acres out in nowhere. Looks like the NooYawkers are moving in with their big money...

When I was in Lancaster at the Porcfest, I saw land tracts for $1000 per acre.

jnoyes

• Ad Orthopraxia
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2005, 09:58:03 pm »

Howdy folks

Its been an interesting summer and fall for the WMLC and Id like to say that we're officially  opened for business. 

By legal necessity we could not state that this was an investment opportunity.  Instead everyone is officially a "customer" for a service involving a coordinated purchase.  This allows us to do two things one we can now advertise what we are doing on the public mediums like the freestateproject.org forum boards and two we aren't as limited to the wealth level and number of people we can include in this venture.

At the end of last summer we were very excited about a wonderful piece of property near Dartmouth college in the town of Canann that was priced and located just right for many of us.  Unfortunately we didn't move fast enough on the property and we missed out on a great opportunity. 

Our primary problem was we didnt have the funds in place to put a bid down right away.

We're now correcting that mistake and Id like to personally thank Dr. Barbara Lockwood and Jerry Lynch for getting the ball rolling with $ 10,000 and being the companies first "customers" ;)

Ill keep you posted
Jeremy Noyes

The authority and responsibility between families, villages and states should be democratic only in the realms that must by necessity be commonly shared.  There is little need for state authority over the village, and precious few things should be the concern of the nation.

pcwallis

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2005, 08:19:03 pm »

Jeremy Noyes       Do you have anything in  written form that someone like myself could look at to make an investment decision to putting money into  the WMLC.

Phil Wallis

jnoyes

• Ad Orthopraxia
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2005, 10:46:45 pm »

Phil If you go to the indicated yahoo group and printout the file SalesContractB you should be able to get a look at how the coordinated purchase of land is to work...I will be putting up a company website shortly.

cheers
Jeremy
The authority and responsibility between families, villages and states should be democratic only in the realms that must by necessity be commonly shared.  There is little need for state authority over the village, and precious few things should be the concern of the nation.

anticorp

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2006, 10:59:50 pm »

reply #20 says it all!!  How great to have such a place, among friendly/freedom-loving people ... AND be able to participate in this noble experiment!  Count me in!
A rich soul is not one who has much ... but one who needs little!

ZeusLGN

• freetalklive.com
    • Free Talk Live
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2006, 01:26:08 am »

Being skeptical by nature, I notice his last post on these forums  appears to have occurred in November of 2005.

What's the status of the WMLC since then?

-Z

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2006, 11:03:41 am »

Zeus there is a yahoo group that gets more attention.
He is very actively involved in getting this off the ground.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2006, 09:15:32 pm »

For legal reasons (similarity to a corporate name), it's not longer called "White Mountain Land Club". All the news and information on the movement can be found here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WhiteMountainLandClub/

Kevin

jnoyes

• Ad Orthopraxia
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2006, 04:14:21 pm »

Hello again everyone

We are approaching a point where it's time for people to do more than just talk about how they plan on moving...

its time to actually put your money where your mouth is...

In the past few months, we've gained insight and made contacts about and with NH municpal authorities...we've registered a company and we've opened a NH bank account, we've sat down with planning boards and with GIS experts, we've made layouts of sustainable homes and communities and written the newspapers, we've gone and looked at countless pieces of property weve scoured the real estate listings and gotten the realators to assist us in finding.  We're written letters to the planning commision and and talked to the country records office.  We've secured financing and made a bid on property, we even have back up pieces of property in case the one we're bidding upon gets bought out from under our collective nose.

The ONLY thing we have NOT done is found enough people who have the will and ability to make their dreams of living in a libertarian community a reality.

Is there anyone who is serious about doing this? and has cash they can put towards their dream?

if so please now is the time to tell me.

If youd like to know more about the opportunity please contact me.

Sincerely
Jeremy Noyes

andrewpgardner

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2006, 08:49:52 pm »

I'd be interested in possibly going in with a group of folks in southern NH for a large enough parcel of land for an ecovillage.  The ecovillages in Ithaca financed their enterprises by getting individual mortgages on 99 year leases.  The leases were for their individual units, but I'm sure an arrangement can be made to finance the entire land purchase that way.

Freedom40Fighter

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2008, 02:21:38 am »

I am interested in knowing how this land co-op idea is working out. I am seeing 2004 dates in these messages.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2008, 02:50:02 am »

I am interested in knowing how this land co-op idea is working out. I am seeing 2004 dates in these messages.

Try joining the Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WhiteMountainLandClub/
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up