Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: White Mountain Land Club  (Read 40621 times)

DC

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
Re: White Mountain Land Club
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2005, 01:15:02 am »

NO ZONING (please let me know of any changes)
GRAFTON
Alexandria
Canaan
Ellsworth
Grafton
Groton
Haverhill
Orford
Rumney
Warren
Wentworth
Woodstock

CARROLL
Chatham
Tamworth

COÖS
Clarksville
Dalton
Errol
Pittsburg
Stark
Stewartstown

There is a petition here(haverhill/woodsville) to abolish the planing board. The last vote was 500 to 200 against zoning and the planing board keeps trying to put it through. So they started a petition to abolish it.

There is also a lot of cheap houses here.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 03:15:03 pm by DC »
Governments view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves ,tax it.If it keeps moving,regulate it.And if it stops moving,subsidise it.--Ronald Reagan-- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys P.J. O'Rourke

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2005, 02:45:23 am »

The following quote comes from:

FOREST ZONING AND RETAINING PRIVATELY OWNED FORESTS
http://www.lewiscreek.org/planninzoning_ref_matls.htm

Hmmmmm. So there's no zoning in much of Coös County, but there's a helluva lot of restriction. A distinction without a difference, perhaps. The article also gave me a better idea of "current use", although I'm sure there's much room for opinion about what is, and what isn't, current use. And where there's room for opinion, there's room for abuse by a county planning board.

At least now I know what happened to the IP lands. It was all very vague before, but now there's a group name attached to the purchase, and the article tells what happened to much of the land. To sum up, a bunch of well-funded leftists from California bought the land and turned much of it over to the state. At least they don't have to worry about a bunch of Porcupines pitching tents and building cabins, eh?

Kevin

DC

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2005, 03:02:23 pm »

DC wrote
There is a petition here(haverhill/woodsville) to abolish the planing board. The last vote was 500 to 200 against zoning and the planing board keeps trying to put it through. So they started a petition to abolish it.
GREAT NEWS! But how does the P&Z continue if they are outvoted? The petition may settle that though and one more towns joins the unzoned list.  Still, 700 votes are very few for a population of 4,416. Special votes often don't get much of a turnout. Is that the case?

I don't know if I wrote that correctly but we don't have zoning. They keep voting it down and the planning board keeps bringing it to a vote trying to get it passed. They ran ads and said the the planning board endorses this add. This caused people to start a petition to abolish the planning board alltogether. Does P&Z mean planning board and zoning?

The last vote was five hundred and something against zoning to two hundred and something for zoning. I'm not really in the know yet here because I am new here. I am planning to join up with the Republicans here because they are behind this.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 03:11:33 pm by DC »
Governments view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves ,tax it.If it keeps moving,regulate it.And if it stops moving,subsidise it.--Ronald Reagan-- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys P.J. O'Rourke

jnoyes

• Ad Orthopraxia
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2005, 05:28:23 pm »

uhm not 100% sure but I believe the town manager Glenn English form Haverhill said there were some zoning ordinances going into effect March 8th 2005...was this the vote that got shot down DC?

Ive got a little piece there so I guess Ill let you know at this summers porc fest when I ask about builiding permits.

NO ZONING (please let me know of any changes)
GRAFTON
Haverhill
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 06:10:18 pm by jnoyes »
The authority and responsibility between families, villages and states should be democratic only in the realms that must by necessity be commonly shared.  There is little need for state authority over the village, and precious few things should be the concern of the nation.

DC

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2005, 06:53:24 pm »

uhm not 100% sure but I believe the town manager Glenn English form Haverhill said there were some zoning ordinances going into effect March 8th 2005...was this the vote that got shot down DC?

Ive got a little piece there so I guess Ill let you know at this summers porc fest when I ask about builiding permits

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:hsMKRkJaOEcJ:www.town.haverhill.nh.us/Resources/%2520PROPOSED%2520BUILDING%2520C%2523149715.pdf+2005+zoning+ordinances+march+8+haverhill+new+hampshire&hl=en

I found this called building permit and building code ordinance. It takes effect on July 1,2005 and the date of enactment March 8, 2005.

jnoyes

• Ad Orthopraxia
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2005, 11:55:41 am »

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:hsMKRkJaOEcJ:www.town.haverhill.nh.us/Resources/%2520PROPOSED%2520BUILDING%2520C%2523149715.pdf+2005+zoning+ordinances+march+8+haverhill+new+hampshire&hl=en

I found this called building permit and building code ordinance. It takes effect on July 1,2005 and the date of enactment March 8, 2005.

so in laymens terms...Im screwed if I plan on unconventional construction methods eh?  cause the fire chief/inspector will shoot it down...I wonder if local officails still take bribes lol j/k
The authority and responsibility between families, villages and states should be democratic only in the realms that must by necessity be commonly shared.  There is little need for state authority over the village, and precious few things should be the concern of the nation.

DC

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2005, 04:56:23 pm »

DC Quote

so in laymens terms...Im screwed if I plan on unconventional construction methods eh?  cause the fire chief/inspector will shoot it down...I wonder if local officails still take bribes lol j/k

It looks like that the building code ordinance was defeated 323 to 213. Unless that was a different one. I have a link to the North country news where it talks about that and it says they have 150 signitures to abolish the planning board allready. It is a good read for Joe Aka Slitar or Jnoyes or anyone else looking at moving to the North Country.        http://www.northcountrynewsnh.com/web_pages_000002.htm
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 05:06:16 pm by DC »

BlueLu

• MMMMMMM! Monadnock
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2005, 03:57:16 pm »

How is this effort going?  Is there any substantial accumulation of pledges to subscribe to a portion of one of these parcels, or one to be chosen later?  (You may IM me, if that would be a more appropriate forum for a response.)

Also, what is the feeling about whether, once purchased, the parcel will be legally subdivided and distributed to each investor.  If not, I think you would have to be very careful about limiting the liability of each participant.

This is a very interesting proposal, though.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2005, 01:27:36 am »

Thus back to the list of town populations which I posted and comparing that with the available large parcels of land.

301  Clarksville (no zoning)
314  Errol (no zoning)
530  Stark (no zoning)
872  Pittsburg (no zoning)
950  Dalton (no zoning)
1,012  Stewartstown (no zoning)

You forgot:

0 Success (no zoning)

I think we could make quite a difference in Success Township!  ;D

Kevin

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2005, 10:54:07 am »

Incorporation seems to be pretty difficult in NH. Only one town was incorporated in the 20th century, Sugar Hill, which apparently seceded from the town of Lisbon in 1962 after "considerable litigation."
http://www.nhes.state.nh.us/elmi/htmlprofiles/pdfs/sugarhill.pdf
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

jnoyes

• Ad Orthopraxia
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2005, 04:43:35 pm »

How is this effort going?  Is there any substantial accumulation of pledges to subscribe to a portion of one of these parcels, or one to be chosen later?  (You may IM me, if that would be a more appropriate forum for a response.)

Hello BlueLu
Unfortunately there isnt a flood of interest for this effort---its more like they trickle in one or two a month I was hoping that the scouting trips and a little info booth at the porc fest would gather more interested people

at present Id say we have about 10 people who are serious and interest from about 5 others who have not yet joined the yahoo group.  Finding the perfect piece of land for everyone is also not likely to be happening as Joe mentions with some good points he's not interested in anything that has restrictive zoning or building ordinances, and Hardy isnt intrested in something that is so far from civilization that he has an insane commute.

I can see advantages to both actually and while I hope we can find a happy medium between distance to a population center and ease of the building restrictions I think its ok if the group desides to bifurcate along those lines in the future

Right now we're simply trying to get together a group of people who are serious about finding and buying raw land at the bulk discount and building new on it.  I and others are serious to the tune of $5000 cash some of us more than that.

The location at the moment is undecided and may remain so for awhile yet---we may discover that the cheapest/best land isn't advertised on the web for instantance...or can be had directly from the timber companies if we spend the time looking around and asking. 

The point is we need to look at whats available out there, and if we happen to come across the sweetheart deal on the perfect piece of land it would be great to be able to post an annoucement to the other serious buyers and act on it quickly. 

Also, what is the feeling about whether, once purchased, the parcel will be legally subdivided and distributed to each investor.  If not, I think you would have to be very careful about limiting the liability of each participant.

This is a very interesting proposal, though.

As for subdivision, my intention is for each person to have legal title to their land in direct proporation to their monetary contribution,

there may be a need to satisfy state, county, or town amounts of road frontage and/or minimum parcel sizes... this will have to be dealt with when the time comes...we may subdivide ourselves and draw from a hat to see who gets what piece, or any other system that is acceptable to all participants. 

thanks for your interest
sincerely
Jeremy
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 05:10:44 pm by jnoyes »

jnoyes

• Ad Orthopraxia
White Mountain Land Club: Update
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2005, 12:29:45 pm »

Howdy folks

Just to give an update looks like we've got 20 people so far interested in the WMLC by conservative estimates Id say that represents in excess of 200K.  So with that In mind Ive been calling real estate agents left and right and we should have a good selection of properties to visit, Ive also been getting quite an education in township zoning rules and building regs ;)

I think the next step after the realators is to actually visit some of the township record vaults and find out who owns what in various towns in New Hampshires...if Im right we'll probably discover that much of it is owned by timber companies and we may be able to make a direct offer on newly cleared land for rock bottom prices.

we also might just run across an old "Na 'ampsha fama" and see if can't convince him to sell us his mountain ;

Either way it looks like it's time to go shopping :)

Sincerely
Jeremy Noyes

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2005, 03:53:11 pm »

Joe, I have to disagree with you about limiting our selection to north of the mountains.  I think the "risk of growth" is a "GOOD Thing" (TM Martha Stuart)

We will be in place to man the barricades against those who would impose zoning, and when it gets too crowded   after the trains arrive, we will be able to mortgage or sell out for enough to buy a forest or mountain near Pittsburg.

This potential profit makes the property in Canaan MORE attractive to me not less.  If, in a few years some Boston banker (preferrably a porcupine) wants to give me half a mil for my 10K land and sweat I'll be smiling all the way to the North Country.

Besides, Canaan is one of the few towns left, south of the notches, that lacks zoning and we should attempt to preserve it.
jerry

pcwallis

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2005, 07:40:56 pm »

Is there interest yet in forming land buying clubs. 
Talk to me.  I am interested Mountain land is ok and land with timber is prefered.
Phil Wallis
Wisconsin

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2005, 08:35:07 pm »

Phil,
Check the first message in this thread for the link to the Yahoo group.  It's a private group, so you'll need to be approved by Jeremy to join.  We don't want to discuss the details of the properties we are considering iin a public forum.
While you're waiting, read alll of the messatges in this thread, some useful information, some outdated.
jerry
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up