Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on NH towns  (Read 2857 times)

neededausername

• I'm a llama!
Advice on NH towns
« on: November 12, 2004, 11:23:10 am »

I'm in a transitional stage of my life right now, and it would be a perfect time to move to NH.  I've just got to convince my wife, and I need help picking a town as I'm not familiar with NH.  Her main objection will be the cold, but I can overcome that.  

Here's what I'm looking for:  a smaller town that has everything you need on a day to day basis, that's within 40 miles of a large town or city that has a lot to do, i.e. good restaurants, shopping, concerts.  I'm in sales so I can get a job just about anywhere, she's looking to go back to school to get her master's so close to a good college or university would be nice.  

Which NH towns would everyone recomend?  

Thanks

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
Re:Advice on NH towns
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 11:56:33 am »

Merrimack Valley area sounds perfect (Nashua/Manchester/Concord), but pretty much any of the larger town/cities... and the Seacoast might work for you too.  Boston is close by, worse to worse.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 11:58:03 am by SethCohn »

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 12:35:37 pm »

Here's what I'm looking for:  a smaller town that has everything you need on a day to day basis, that's within 40 miles of a large town or city that has a lot to do, i.e. good restaurants, shopping, concerts.  I'm in sales so I can get a job just about anywhere, she's looking to go back to school to get her master's so close to a good college or university would be nice.  

Which NH towns would everyone recomend?  

Thanks

What master's degree program is your wife looking for? There are a limited number of grad schools in NH, so I suggest using her academic interest as a starting point--one benefit is that it will help build her enthusiasm for the move.

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 08:32:54 am »

The Dartmouth College area was my second choice of places to live in NH.  Just a thought....

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 10:53:34 am »

Keene is about 1/2 hour away from Brattleboro, VT and Northampton, Mass, both of which draw bigger name acts.
Keene itself gets some fairly big names doing shows here (Bob Weir, LIttle Feat, Bill Cosby, Indigo Girls and Lily Tomlin have all played in Keene the last couple years).

We also have about 45 restaurants, several farm stands, Four colleges in or within 20 mins of town, easy access to major highways going in every direction for travel.

Small enough where you don't need to lock your doors in most parts of town, large enough to have some great stuff right in town.

Love to have you come by, and check it out.

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

jenn_dorsett

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 04:07:35 pm »

I hope this post isn't too late for usable advice.  I lived in NH for some of my childhood and into my early adult life...it is still my home (and will be again soon!).  The lakes region sounds like a great place for you!  A suggestion: Tilton, NH.  There are plenty of jobs, outlet shopping (a really good selection of stores), restaurants, etc.  You would be close to all these things, plus in the area there are stage and movie theatres, several colleges (technical and um, not...?).  Plus, given the area, there is a lot more space for everyone as opposed to more populated areas like Manchester, Nashua, Keene and Concord.  Oh, yes, and here is something that some people aren't prepared for in NH, but everyone should be made aware of- Nh is pretty spread out.  Yes, they have a few cities, and they have they backwoods, but most of NH is composed of several smaller towns in the general area of a larger town/city.  What I'm trying to say it, you might have to drive 20 -40 min to get to where your going for fun, but 1) you get used to it and 2) It's WELL worth it.  Did that answer your question?

Oh, yes...another thing about Tilton- J. Jill.  (If you've never heard of them, they are a womens clothing company that have a huge warehouse in Tilton...AWESOME company to work for!!!!!)  ;D

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 11:10:21 am »

A suggestion: Tilton, NH.  

Yeah, Tilton is definitely worth a look, too.  It was our third choice (behind Keene and Lebanon).  The town is smaller but the shopping and access to the lakes gives it more commercial activity than it should have for its size.

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up