Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NH stingiest state  (Read 3293 times)

Toowm

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
NH stingiest state
« on: November 10, 2004, 06:52:08 pm »

http://www4.fosters.com/november_2004/11.09.04/news/ap_nh1109m.asp

Now, when you consider that New Hampshire gets the 2nd worst deal from the feds, maybe it's not so low on a total "charity" basis.

On the other hand, score one for the Objectivists!
toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat

Gabriel

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
Re:NH stingiest state
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 08:42:04 am »

The study measures only the amount of income tax itemized deductions claimed for charitable donations. Without more information, it's impossible to conclude whether Yankees are stingier, or whether they're too proud to take tax credit for their generosity.

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 05:41:37 pm »

Maybe it's because we realize that maybe 15% our income is already being stolen by the Gov for "charity..."
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 06:07:25 pm »

These reports are false, they have always been false, and they will always be false.

They consider anything "deductible" on your taxes to be a "charitable donation", even donations to churches.

New Hampshire is the least religious of all states.  That's why it appears to be the least charitable state when in fact I believe it is the MOST charitable state.

Utah is the most religious of all states  Mormons give 10-15% of their paychecks to the church and deduct it all from their taxes.  That's why it appears to be the most charitable state when it is not by far.  

I lived in Utah for 15 years and private charity was almost nowhere to be seen.

I've seen more charitable donation and volunteerism in New Hampshire in the past 6 months than I've ever seen in my life.

This report is false.
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 07:34:11 pm »

NH is the most honest state on their tax returns! ;D

I know a lot of "charitable" contributions on tax forms aren't actually charitable contributions but bogus writeoffs.  It's not impossible to imagine N.H. pride keeps people there from filing false tax claims.  Anyway, it's a possibility.  Seriously, I'd guess a large percent of charitable writeoffs on taxes aren't really legitimate so you could read the information different ways.

N.H. also has a very low rate of homelessness so either there's less need for charity or there's truly a lot of charity and hence why homelessness is so low there.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 07:34:42 pm by SteveA »
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 07:59:11 pm »

NH people donate a LOT of time to charitable causes. Also, many people just give money to charity and don't bother to write it off.
 For instance, my brother has always given to various causes, particularly to children's causes. He files the short form on his taxes, and never writes it off.
 I, myself donate, MANY hours each year to non-profit theatre organizations. I don't bother to write it off, either.
 NH people don't think of charitable giving as something you do to get a tax write-off. It is part of our culture.

penguinsscareme

• FSP Participant
  • Ain't nobody's business but mine
    • Free State Project/self-sufficiency living liaison
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 08:20:15 pm »

People also tend to help each other individually.  The tax return definition of charity is a very narrow one.  It cannot account for helping a neighbor fix his car, or giving a job to someone in need.  It also only accounts for gifts of liquid assets, it doesn't account for the couple who buys a new refrigerator and gives their old one to a couple in need.  Charitable acts in New England tend to be much more direct and practical than writing a check to a faceless organization.  It's a yankee way of life that stretches back much further than any of us do.
Stamp freestateproject.org on your cash!  Stamp & inkpad run less than $10 & it's the single most effective and easy thing you can do for the fsp.  And it's legal, just don't obscure the serial #.  www.currentlabels.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up