Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Political Activism for the Novice  (Read 4337 times)

Forastero

• It's like butter
Political Activism for the Novice
« on: November 01, 2006, 03:00:50 pm »

I just wanted to post and see if anyone here has any tips on being a political activist. I am pretty new to not only the FSP but to politics as well, and I've never been one to fight for causes before, however, I wish to do so now, but I dont how to get started. And, since I hope to move to NH eventually, I want to contribute to the freedom and liberty fight, but I just seem lost as to what to do first, any suggestions?
Yeah, freedom baby, I love it!

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Political Activism for the Novice
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 03:15:42 pm »

I think we should put out some sort of guide for members who don't know where to start. A sort of workbook that has suggested activities to run through before you move. It could also have a move plan and NH research section.

Think of the benefit of having new movers already up to speed.

Attend council/zoning board meetings
Help a campaign
Hold a protest
Design fliers
Collect signatures
Write LTEs
Call in talk radio
Track bills

Deal with family
research NH towns
get acquainted with NH residents/laws/processes
career adjustments
save funds

It really is overwhelming to a lot of people.

Cathleen

Rocketman

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Statism Sucks
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 04:00:24 pm »

Hadn't thought about it much, but you're right, Cathleen.

I strongly recommend attending localgov and stategov  meetings, wherever you are, to get an understanding of how government actually operates -- libertarians tend to be well-versed in political theory, but less aware of how decisions are actually made by people sitting together in a room.  When you get to NH and start getting involved here, you will probably find that things are better here, but not so much better that your experiences in statist hell won't be relevant!

For a total novice activist, the best thing I know to do is call one of your legislators and tell them what you think about a hot issue.  In NH, the legislator is much more likely to answer his or her phone and talk to you!
5/13/06: I'M HOME!!!!!!!!!  #401!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FreeBoB

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 04:13:16 pm »

Forastero,

I appreciate your thoughts.  I'm about 1000% more active now that I have joined the FSP, both locally with my libertarian friends, and with the FSP.  I joined 3 years ago and I am now making plans to move - my house is on the market.  I decided about 1 1/2 years ago to re-focus most of my volunteer (free) time from locally trying to build the LP to volunteering for the FSP.  Well, there's a lot one can do to promote and help operate the FSP!   ;D

In no particular order:

- Maybe there's a local politically-alligned group for you to make contact with - practice activism for NH!

- Check to see if there's an FSP local group that you can get involved with
http://freestateproject.org/community/localgroups/

- Volunteer to help the FSP on an organizational level
http://freestateproject.org/volunteer

There is much to do and it's great fun!

Brian

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 04:55:53 pm »

I just wanted to post and see if anyone here has any tips on being a political activist
To be frank, I sorta tried political activism in my prior states (Wisconsin, Indiana, and California) and gave up quickly when I saw that I couldl spend my whole life on it and get about ZERO return.

That is totally different from what I see happening in New Hampshire, where (as Rocketman noted) when I call my State Representative, he or she actually talks to me -- and I'm calling their home, not some politicians' office. These are liteerally the neighbors that live a few doors down from me, not professional poll-watchers.

There's a lot you can do to help out even before you move, but in my opinion, being active in politics where you are isn't one of them.
Instead, I know from experience you can make a HUGE difference by:
1) doing as many of the things as possible listed on the A-Z page to let like minded people know about the FSP
2) starting a Local Group
3) joining the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance and helping us with the Bill Triage once the legislature is in session (more info on that will be emailed to NHLA members once the legislature is in session)

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 05:00:25 pm »

- Volunteer to help the FSP on an organizational level
http://freestateproject.org/volunteer
Agreed 100%, Brian. Anything on that page is very useful to do.

Many of the most active in FSP leadership have moved to NH... and, very understandably, re-focused their time and energy into changing the landscape of NH politics. The upshot is, a small number of people in the FSP leadership are trying very hard to do the work that was formerly done by a larger number of people.

For example, the First1000 phone drive desparately needs volunteers. PM 'Friday' for that and/or join the "First1000" Yahoo group.

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 06:26:08 pm »

Promoting the FSP is a form of activism and a much needed one, but it isn't practicing the sort of activism most people expect to do in NH. Not that we don't need that here. I think we do. Those people that lead well, promote well, and train well should consider continuing that here in NH.

The rest of us sometimes need pointers in where to jump in and what te score is in our new home. It sure is dfiferent from any place I have ever lived.

Practicing activism is just that, practice. Somewhere you have to break the ice and plow ahead (is it winter yet?). you don't have to be in NH for that.

Cathleen

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 07:17:54 pm »

You know when I was coming back from a meeting for the Liberty Forum today.. as I drove through the hills of NH I said...I did NOTHING before I came to NH.. Now I am active.  I think that when someone moves to NH (and changes their info so that the counter rolls) that they should get an email that says here are groups, here are things you can do, etc etc etc... Not telling them what to do just giving them options.

I will start work on this project AFTER the elections.

Forastero

• It's like butter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 08:29:25 pm »

I think we should put out some sort of guide for members who don't know where to start. A sort of workbook that has suggested activities to run through before you move. It could also have a move plan and NH research section.

Think of the benefit of having new movers already up to speed.

Attend council/zoning board meetings
Help a campaign
Hold a protest
Design fliers
Collect signatures
Write LTEs
Call in talk radio
Track bills

Deal with family
research NH towns
get acquainted with NH residents/laws/processes
career adjustments
save funds

It really is overwhelming to a lot of people.

Cathleen

Wondeful idea Cathleen, it would def help someone like me. I mean, ever since I joined the FSP I've had this "fire in my belly" to want to help the cause of liberty, and I just dont have any general idea of where to start.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 08:32:53 pm by Forastero »
Yeah, freedom baby, I love it!

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 10:13:27 pm »

ever since I joined the FSP I've had this "fire in my belly" to want to help the cause of liberty, and I just dont have any general idea of where to start.
For helping the FSP.. right now:

one recruit more members thru the internet, in person, or with a local group..
If you have computer talents the FSP needs your help in lots of areas.

We really really really need people to make some phone calls for the First1000 campaign. Join the yahoo group if you are interested.

Welcome to the fun!

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 07:53:27 am »

The NHLA does hold seminars on how to be an activist.

Some of us earlier movers are "graduates" (well, advanced students now) of the Don Gorman school of politics.
We need the next 'generation' to step up and learn the skills, so we can continue to grow our numbers.
If you show up the statehouse for all of the NHLA training, and get involved, by the end of 2 years, you will be an effective activist.

I've also been talking to Don about him starting up his "campaign school" again.  It was quite popular in the past, and will attract some nationwide students.
Pages: [1]   Go Up