Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ballot Access in NH  (Read 6140 times)

rain4venus

• I'm a llama!
Ballot Access in NH
« on: November 01, 2004, 07:18:37 pm »

this has probably been asked before, but this being my first post, I wouldn't know about that.  So I apologize if it annoys anyone.
I heard that Michael Badnarik was on the ballot in 48 states and DC.  When I went to look up which states he wasn't on, Oklahoma didn't surprise me, because they have notoriously awful ballot access laws (I have a friend from Tulsa).  However, I was shocked to learn that New Hampshire was the other state, since I'd heard of the free state project so long before (through the Atlasphere...haha) and there had even been a link to the FSP on Badnarik's site at one point.  
Does anyone know why he isn't on the ballot in NH?  Are any third party candidates on the ballot? Is there any way for that to make sense?
Thanks for any helpful replies

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
Re:Ballot Access in NH
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 08:23:24 pm »

Badnarik isn't on the NH ballot due to the Democratic controlled town offices that invalidated enough petition signatures, far more than anyone expected they would.  Expect a lawsuit over it, and changes in the future.

There are other threads on this... perhaps someone can link to them.

Besides which, think of this as another think 20K activists in NH would have fixed. (It was only 3000 signatures needed)

Greenbacks

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 09:23:56 pm »

only allegations - no proof.

Nader is on the ballot.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 09:24:49 pm by Greenbacks »

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 09:36:59 pm »

Actually, Greeny, there is proof.... dated signed sealed envelopes.

You're wrong.  Expect a change in the way Signature Validation is done, thanks to the LP's discovery that towns aren't doing it in a timely manner.

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 10:31:05 pm »

I heard paid petitioners collected for both Nader and Badnarik, and in NH you can only sign for one candidate, and Nader's all got certified first.

You heard wrong, I think.  The details I heard are entirely different.

This court stuff?
This one isn't about that.

No, not that one.  That is one that was filed, no actions will be taken until January (I think) by the courts.  I'm talking about another potential one that will likely get looked at by the ballot commisson as an issue first, and if changes aren't made, filed then.

I think they are saying 3000 petitions is too hard to get.

ANd what if you get 5000, and and send them to the towns, and some of the towns don't get them back to the party before the deadline they are required to, to the point of missing entire towns that were collected
and returned only after the deadline (according to sealed and dated envelopes).

Getting 1500 and 1500 is another issue likely to change... when it's a statewide election, why is there a 1500+1500 requirement?

It makes sense when the LPNH is busy helping Gov. Benson to get re-elected, and Benson is trying to get Bush re-elected.

Except that the signature gatherers got enough sigs.... more than enough, despite having too few volunteers.

Badnarik was not the only person disqualified... Petrouka had plenty of sigs... and they failed to get them certified in a timely manner too.  If they'd submitted the sigs months earlier (they had them all done), they'd have been on the ballot... but they never figured on this same lack of timely sig validation.

Old Nick

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 12:38:42 am »

Why would the Democrats sabotage a Party which prevents more votes going to Bush than to Kerry?? Are these people just fucking stupid?
God told me to strike at al Qaeda and I struck them, and then He instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East."
-- George W. Bush to Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas, July 2003

Greenbacks

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 07:33:28 am »

Why would the Democrats sabotage a Party which prevents more votes going to Bush than to Kerry?? Are these people just fucking stupid?

no they think we are stupid!

Greenbacks

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 08:07:54 am »

Do you mean to tell me the town clerks are all democrats, and they all agreed not to certify signatures on time?

in a state that is overwhelmingly dominated by registered Republicans?

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 08:08:44 am »

fisher, you are still trolling...  If you wish the details, contact the NHLP, identify yourself and ask for more details.  I'm not doing to debate you, nor continue this 'argument' when I stated the facts as I know them (from LP staff)

The word "Democratic" was mine, not the LPs, but the pattern of towns does sound to me like it wasn't every town, and given the behavior I've seen from Democrats here, it wouldn't surprise me.

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 08:09:48 am »

Do you mean to tell me the town clerks are all democrats, and they all agreed not to certify signatures on time?

Actually, not true... it's about 1/3, 1/3 and 1/3 Independent...

and I never said ALL towns, I said some towns.

Greenbacks

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 08:13:07 am »

Actually, not true... it's about 1/3, 1/3 and 1/3 Independent...

and I never said ALL towns, I said some towns.

35% Republican
28% Democrat
37% Independent

Governor, Senate, House - all Republican majorities

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 08:26:48 am »

The news last night reported that statewide fully 40% are undeclared.

Cathleen

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2004, 09:36:51 am »

Badnarik signs:  Yes.  On the back of my car.
Since he's not on the ballot, the number of signs has been small.

Democrat activity: I've witnessed it first hand on multiple occasions in just the last few weeks.  Why are the Democrats busing people from Massachusetts to rally and hold signs?  Aren't there enough Democrat people in NH?  So far, the Republicans have been polite, the Democrats anything but.  Real world experience counts.

Concord is a big government town, and based on responses from cars while holding signs, Benson is popular even here.  I expect him to win.

As for the rest, as I said: go talk to LPNH people yourself.  I'm done talking to trolls.

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2004, 11:44:22 am »

There are plenty of non NH democrats running aroung Manchester today with signs and such. Doesn't really bother me if they don't vote. I am a little afraid they might.

Here is what I witnessed this morning at the polls. We were met at the door with a greeter who said "Registered voters to the left, to the right to register. If you don't have proper id, your friend can vouch for you." Those were his words. I didn't witness how it actually worked.

Our polling place is in the health services building. It was very busy and many of the voters near me were mental health patients discussing picking up their checks and their counseling. After receiving his ballot. One man asked for assistance. The helper asked who he wanted to vote for and he said "I am a Democrat" She said to just mark the straight ticket and helped him find it and do it.

Just my experience. And a new one at that as I have never lived in an urban area before.

Oh, and I saw a Badnarik yard sign yesterday while driving to the store.

Cathleen

Old Nick

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2004, 03:09:15 pm »

What utter incompetence. Perhaps Babiarz should be replaced??
God told me to strike at al Qaeda and I struck them, and then He instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East."
-- George W. Bush to Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas, July 2003
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up