Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the timeframe of commitment?  (Read 6984 times)

O-Ren Ishii

• Silly rabbit. Tricks are for kids.
What is the timeframe of commitment?
« on: October 08, 2004, 03:26:15 pm »

I'm considering signing up, but am confused about the timeframe of membership. The FAQ is open to various interpretations on this point. What exactly does signing the Statement of Intent mean? That if, at any time in the future, no matter how many years, 20,000 people have signed up, then I'm promising to move to New Hampshire within 5 years? Forever is an awful long time!  

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re:What is the timeframe of commitment?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 07:56:00 pm »

I'm considering signing up, but am confused about the timeframe of membership. The FAQ is open to various interpretations on this point. What exactly does signing the Statement of Intent mean? That if, at any time in the future, no matter how many years, 20,000 people have signed up, then I'm promising to move to New Hampshire within 5 years? Forever is an awful long time!  

The commitment isn't totally open-ended, but there isn't a hard deadline either.  Essentially, if we aren't "close" to 20K by the end of 2006, we'll close up shop & probably morph the FSP into something else.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 07:59:12 pm »

Yes, forever *is* a long time.  That's why many of us have no intention of waiting until 20,000 is reached.  300 FSP'ers are already in NH.  I intend to move there when I reach a particular level of financial stability, and that will almost certainly be before there are 20,000 members.

20,000 isn't really a magic number, although some thought obviously went into it.  Surely even 5,000 activists can make an appreciable difference, don't you think?  Finally, even if you were the only FSP'er to move to NH, at least you'd likely be gaining a measure of freedom for yourself, since NH probably offers more freedoms than where you live now.

lloydbob1

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 08:09:27 pm »

I was under the impression that the "deadline" was 5 years from when the state was chosen.
                              or October 2008
Lloyd

jblo

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 08:31:24 pm »

how does the NH Constitution regard such a phenom as FSP?

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 09:36:12 pm »

I was under the impression that the "deadline" was 5 years from when the state was chosen.
                              or October 2008
Lloyd

No, the "deadline" to move is five years from when we reach 20,000, but there's no deadline for reaching 20,000.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 09:40:17 pm »

how does the NH Constitution regard such a phenom as FSP?

I am not sure what you mean by this. Why would the NH Constitution have anything to do with the FSP? The FSP is merely a group of people agreeing to move to NH to promote the cause of Liberty and Freedom.
Pages: [1]   Go Up