Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Sign-up statistics  (Read 159793 times)

bookish_lass

Sign-up statistics
« on: October 04, 2004, 07:29:48 pm »

We had 10 new members last week, who heard about the FSP from:

(2)  Ad placed on email list "This is True"
(1)  Searched for 'freest state' in google
(1)  Finnish libertarian Yahoo-group
(1)  Slashdot, a couple of years ago.
(1)  From family
(1)  on the web
(1)  Neal Boortz' show
(2)  Did not say

Thanks to everyone who is getting out there and telling people about the FSP!  As you can see, sometimes the results take years to show up, sometimes they're immediate.

I'll be posting this info weekly, to let you all know how you're doing.  Thanks, guys!  You rock!

bookish_lass

Re:Sign-up statistics
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 09:01:45 am »

Here's a list of where people heard about the FSP...back to the start of the project.  It includes people who signed up as friends.  I've removed most names of individuals to protect privacy, leaving only those who are already "public" members of the project.  If you'd like to know if you'd been mentioned in "Where did you hear about the FSP", just email me I'll try and look you up:  kdillon@freestateproject.org.

http://www.soulawakenings.com/allreferrersnonames.txt

Kat

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 06:41:27 pm »

Right on, my radio show is in there 3 times!   ;D ;D

Say, does that qualify me for the Golden Porcupine?  Or are Golden Porcs only awarded for recruitment done after the existance of the Golden Porc?

This is a cool thread.  Please continue to post these weekly!

Regards,
Ian
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

FTL_Ian

• Golden Porcupine
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 06:51:27 pm »

Hey,  I don't know if anyone has the time to do this, but categorizing these would be interesting.

XX "Playboy"
XX "Boortz"
XX "Walter Williams"
XX "Relatives / Friends"
XX "LP"

...etc

Regards,
Ian

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 07:42:33 pm »

...second the thanks for this thread ... I can't think of a more useful thing to track. :)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

bookish_lass

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 08:01:51 pm »

Hey,  I don't know if anyone has the time to do this, but categorizing these would be interesting.

Jean Alexander's been doing this.  Here are two excel files with all the info (again, with names removed):

http://www.soulawakenings.com/MediaAnalysis.ZIP

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 08:19:05 pm »

Thanks Kat!

Think it's a great idea letting the folks know were our new members are comming from, perhaps it may jog a few brains into comming up with some new ways to help too! ;)
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 10:31:46 pm »

Shoot, I went off and wrote a Perl script to do some data-mining for this, not realizing that someone else already had a nifty spreadsheet with a lot more detail.  Oh well.  Just for kicks I'll post my results here anyways.

Methodology: regular expression matching.  Each response only ended up in one category.  e.g., if someone said "saw a news story on lp.org", it would get categorized as "Libertarian Party", not "News, general."  There are still about 500 responses that weren't categorized, some due to misspellings, too much detail "a drunk guy in a blue suit at a bar in cleveland told me", and so on.  Also, I'm only pasting those sources with 10 or more matches.  Enjoy.

497 -- Internet/Website/E-mail
304 -- Friend
172 -- Libertarian Party
157 -- News, general
144 -- Playboy magazine
142 -- Neil Boortz
121 -- Libertarian, misc.
118 -- Newspaper
114 -- Family
107 -- Walter Williams
90 -- Radio
87 -- Significant other
80 -- NPR
49 -- Yahoo
36 -- Magazine, other
30 -- Google
28 -- Word of mouth
26 -- World Net Daily
26 -- Reason magazine
26 -- Fox News
25 -- MSNBC
25 -- Don't know/remember
24 -- Liberty magazine
21 -- Sierra Times
21 -- Co-worker
19 -- Television
17 -- New York Times
17 -- Lew Rockwell
16 -- Newsweek
15 -- CNN
13 -- Washington Times
13 -- Paul Harvey
13 -- CSPAN
11 -- The Power Hour
11 -- Orange County Register
10 -- Amanda Phillips

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 10:48:59 pm »

thanks again :) I can only dream of doing things that fast :)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

FTL_Ian

• Golden Porcupine
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 01:10:32 am »

Alright, if that's not a great way to figure out how to spend advertising dollars, I don't know what is.  I suggest we need to do the following:

1.  Viral email campaign.  Someone should write up an excellent GENERALLY targeted recruiting message that people would want to foward all over the internet.  Here's my suggested slant:
-Send it after the election.
-If Badnarik wins, approach it from a "our new president is a FSP member" perspective.
-If Badnarik loses, approach it from a "with this election behind us, do you feel less free?" perspective.  I think we can capitalize on post-election fatigue.  (Something that definately affects active LP members.)

2.  Focus on getting positive coverage in LP news.  Story idea would be Badnarik announcing his upcoming move to NH, thanks to the FSP!  (Maybe we can recruit the editor of the LP News?)

3.  Continue to do things that are news-worthy. (A whole topic on it's own, discussed extensively elsewhere.)

4.  Someone has to have an in with Playboy.  Didn't we just get a blurb before?  We need to get MORE.

5.  The Boortz show is obviously valuable (regardless of his opinion on the "war").  He's got a head start on me, but I'm only 139 more recruits away...

6.  Remind FSP participants (perhaps via direct mail?), after election, that it's time to work on friends and family again, and focus on FSP recruiting as there is no more presidential race going on.

7.  What's it going to take to get an endorsement from Walter Williams?

8.  Perhaps there should be an FSP Talk Show Call Squad that calls local/national talk shows.

9.  I noticed "Doug Stanhope" and "dougstanhope.com" had more than enough entries to qualify for margo's list, but didn't make it.  FSP leadership/webmasters should attempt to arrange a FRONT PAGE BANNER link exchange with him... (or other high-recruiting celebrity-based sites).

What say ye?
Ian

FTL_Ian

• Golden Porcupine
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 01:12:14 am »

Oh, and I didn't see any answers to my Golden Porc questions... anyone know?

Also, has anyone become a Golden Porc?

Regards,
Ian

bookish_lass

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 07:02:31 am »

I'm trying to find out what's holding up the golden porcupines.  Apparently it was some problem getting them pins themselves.  Sure looks like you'd be in line for one, Ian!  Great job!

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 08:40:39 am »

9.  I noticed "Doug Stanhope" and "dougstanhope.com" had more than enough entries to qualify for margo's list, but didn't make it.  FSP leadership/webmasters should attempt to arrange a FRONT PAGE BANNER link exchange with him... (or other high-recruiting celebrity-based sites).

Ian -

You're right, my mistake.  There are probably other categories with > 10 that I missed as well.  It was relatively easy to categorize the top 20 or so things, but after that it started to become a bit of an easter-egg hunt.  I posted my current progress last night, but I'll sieve the remaining 500 tonight to improve the results.  I'll also put up a web page that allows one to click on any of the top-level categories to see every result under it -- this will be very easy.

Undoubtedly the keeper of the Excel spreadsheet will take this as a challenge and offer something even better; ain't competition great?  :D

- Josh

Sebastian

• FSP Participant
  • Elderado
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 09:30:20 am »

Should we create special honors for individuals that are responsible for 100 FSP members ?

Neal Boortz and Walter Williams would qualify for such an honor at this point in time.
Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for yourself.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2004, 10:59:24 am »

Whooey, I've got 4 signups: one from my french lib article, three from my Valley News appearance. Don't know if we got anything from the NHPR bit.

I think that if we can attribute member signups to any members that influenced them to sign up, then we can make it a competetive market to recruit members. We see stars on our profile in the forum here based on our posts here. How about some recognition for recruitment? Isn't that a higher priority than yakking?
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 25   Go Up