Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Second Amendment Activities  (Read 15148 times)

Bald Eagle

• Is it time yet?
Second Amendment Activities
« on: September 05, 2004, 08:28:32 pm »

Hello everyone,

I've been asked to help organize the Second Amendment related activities for the 2005 Porcupine Freedon Festival, as well as stand around, drink beer, and look good.

As a recent escapee of Maryland, and prior to that, the People's Republic of New Jersey, I am relatively new to the "Gun Culture" and to firearms themselves.  I have endeavored to remedy my ignorance about firearms and marksmanship, and gladly welcome the invitation to organize activities as a means of expanding my education in this area.

I am therefore inviting all Free-Staters and gun owners to chime in about the types of activities they would most like to see held at the '05 Festival.  Any and all questions and suggestions will be considered, and the only stupid questions are the ones that aren't asked.
I look forward to your suggestions, questions and comments.

My suggestions to those planning on attending:  

1)  Buy a gun.  Now.  A Right not excercised is a Right forfeited.  Buying a gun is the surest way to develop a vested interest in learning more about the right, the safe and responsible use of the firearms it protects, and the legislation that threatens you, your family and your friends.

Find a friend, borrow their gun, or rent one at a range to find out what you like and can handle.  I'll try to get some introductory information for new gun owners put together to summarize what I think is important.

2) Buy and read gun books.  "Boston's Gun Bible" is encyclopedic and well worth the $28.  Any book by Massad Ayoob or Gabriel Suarez on using firearms are a good way to learn about what to do with your new gun.  "In the Gravest Extreme" and "Combat Handgunnery" are highly recommended.

Reading gun forums like www.thehighroad.org, www.packing.org, and www.a-human-right.com are also recommended.

3) Get out there and USE your new gun.  This will give you the familiarity that you need to own and use your new gun sfaely and effectively.  You will also quickly learn that there are a lot of things to learn about owning a gun that you don't know and need to ask about.  Make a big long laundry list of all those little things, and we can have a great forum at the festival where everyone can learn a whole lot.

Things we can use for the hands-on instruction:

Safety glasses and ear protection for anyone who wants to shoot.

Targets and cardboard backing
     Staple gun
     1 x 2's or more substantial posts to staple the targets to, and a way to get set studily into the ground

Reactive targets
     clay pigeons
     cheap soda cans
     balloons

Something to use as a bench rest for shooting rifles

Ammo if you know already what you are going to shoot

Thanks,

Bill "Bald Eagle" Walker

lloydbob1

Re:Second Amendment Activities
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 08:46:14 pm »

Look Good?

rcicone

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 07:21:26 am »

Wow, pretty impresive for someone new to guns.

I'm a Firearms nstructor and would be more than happy to help anyone learn to shoot.  We can pick up ammo almost anywhere.

Rach

BTW There is the Manchester Firing Range where you can rent pretty darn near anything you might want to shoot. VERY friendly and helpful.
--When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. – Gary Lloyd

Tony Stelik

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a rabid individualist
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 01:48:39 pm »

Relatively easy is to organize shooting plates with the hand guns or bowling pins with the rifle. I can run competition.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forgive you

Amos

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 10:02:09 pm »

Thanks, Bill!

Manchester Firing Line (www.gunsnh.com) is a great place to shoot indoors.  You can buy or rent just about anything.  I also had great fun w/ an H&K MP5 this summer.

Not sure what Lancaster has to offer as far as ranges, but it sounds like a lot of fun...count me in!  This year's porcfest was a total blast.

Other great info @ thefiringline.com, glocktalk.com
Local gun shops like rileysguns.com, ktpguns.com
Or buy online @ gunbroker.com, gunsamerica.com

Act responsibly, be prepared, and stay safe.

Orvanic

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: Second Amendment Activities
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 11:44:51 am »

If you need some help with the firearms-related activities, I'm willing to put in some time.  I'm 90% certain that I will be attending, at this point, and I should know for certain within a week or two.

I'm an NRA-certified pistol instructor, so like rcicone, I'd be happy to help teach a bit.

Actually, come to think of it, maybe the whole Basic Pistol course could be offerred, for those wanting to get their certificate (which can be useful in states that require training to obtain various types of firearms permits, including CCW permits), if enough qualified instructors and helpers are available, along with something resembling a classroom.

Also, I tend to order ammunition by the case, so if people think it would be a good idea, I could start a "wish list" thread, find out what calibers people will be wanting, and probably get it for a better price than is typically available when buying it by the box.  It could be re-sold at cost or, assuming that there are no legal impediments (I'm not an expert on NH's sales laws), it could be re-sold at a modest profit, with the profit going to the FSP.

Any thoughts?

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Gerry LaVallee

• FSP Participant
  • Hunting, camping, or both.......too many choices
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 07:58:07 pm »

I am in the process of putting together a couple of KD frames with poster board onto which I was going to tape paper targets.
The targets are just the plain 10 pt center ring type and the frames are put together with wingnuts and bolts to facilitate set-up and take down. and should fit in my little Tracker. I am also bringing at least one SKS, which is an excellent weapon for first time shooters, low recoil and the ammo is cheap.

of course, I don't leave home without my 357.
         gerry
I work, because millions on welfare depend on me.

citizen_142002

• Friend of the FSP
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 12:05:22 am »

I think that firearms activities are a great idea. If we can get some NRA instructors lined up that would be even better. Is there any public range in the Lancaster area that we could use? Maybe a Fish and Game facility?
The Manchester range sounds like a hoot, but it's quite a drive. Of course it is hard to pass up an opportunity to rent the latest in Class III weapons. Are there any Class III licensed individuals coming to Porcfest, who would be open to "renting out there firearm?" Or maybe someone with an explosive ordinance license and an RPG-8 ;)

I think that we should put an emphasis on safety. Some of us know how to treat GSWs, but it can be a real mood killer. By the way, I'm 17, but I own gun and I am familiar with firearms and firearm safety, would I be able to attend firearms activities? I am a licensed hunter and have taken the requisite firearms safety course. I may also have a Concealed Carry Permit by the time Porcfest rolls around.
A note to any NRA instructors out there, I am a cadet in the Civil Air Patrol, and I can qualify to wear a marksmanship badge on my uniform if I can earn an NRA marksman qualification, under the supervision of a certified NRA instructor, or an NSSA instructor.
If we are going to put in order for someone to buy in bulk, I suggest we load up on common calibers, (9MM,.45ACP, .38Spl, .223, 7.62x39MM) you get the picture.

P.S. Does anyone out there have a .50BMG that they can get to the Porcfest. That is one piece that I have yet to see in action, I hear that it's impressive.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 02:41:20 pm »

I think that we should put an emphasis on safety. Some of us know how to treat GSWs, but it can be a real mood killer. By the way, I'm 17, but I own gun and I am familiar with firearms and firearm safety, would I be able to attend firearms activities? I am a licensed hunter and have taken the requisite firearms safety course. I may also have a Concealed Carry Permit by the time Porcfest rolls around.

Safety is always key.  As far as age goes, I guess that would depend upon whether or not the range/site has any particular rules.  But that rarely goes beyond "people under 18 must be accompanies by an adult," so I doubt it will be a problem.

I'm going to presume that you're a NH resident, if you're talking about getting a CCW at 17, right?

A note to any NRA instructors out there, I am a cadet in the Civil Air Patrol, and I can qualify to wear a marksmanship badge on my uniform if I can earn an NRA marksman qualification, under the supervision of a certified NRA instructor, or an NSSA instructor.

I think that can be arranged, providing that there are appropriate facilities.

If we are going to put in order for someone to buy in bulk, I suggest we load up on common calibers, (9MM,.45ACP, .38Spl, .223, 7.62x39MM) you get the picture.

I shoot 9mm, .45ACP, and 5.56NATO (aka .223), so I'll have at very least two or three thousand rounds of each available, since I can just bring any extra home, if I don't sell it all.  Any other calibers, I would need to have some idea of what people wanted, so I don't end up with a lot of surplus in calibers that I don't use (or, don't use a lot of - I don't tend to burn through much .270Win or .30-30, since I don't burn a couple hundred rounds through my hunting rifles every trip to the range, like I do with other firearms).

I'll also bring a few cases of clay targets, if we're going to be using a facility that allows them (they're fun to shoot at, because of the instant response to a hit).

P.S. Does anyone out there have a .50BMG that they can get to the Porcfest. That is one piece that I have yet to see in action, I hear that it's impressive.

A buddy of mine has one.  I don't know if I can sweet-talk him into letting me borrow it, but maybe I can (or maybe he'll want to come up there, himself).  That is something where I'd definitely need an indication of how much ammo is desired, because .50BMG is very expensive stuff (I think it would sell for between $2 and $4 per round, depending on the brand).

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

citizen_142002

• Friend of the FSP
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 04:56:07 pm »

Thanks for the response, Joe.

Yes, I am thankfully a New Hampshire resident, so I can get my CCW permit. I believe that I could get a nonresident permit even if I were under 18, or are there restrictions on non-resident CCWs?
It's good to hear that there will be 9MM and .223 for sale. My friend has a glock 9MM that he will probably bring, and he may be purchasing a Ruger mini-14 this spring/summer.

I'm not trying to be killjoy, when I talk about safety, I assume that most of the people who are going to want to go to the range will have some basic knowledge of firearms safety, but that might not be true for everyone. When I talk about safety, I mean, don't point it at anyone, put the safety on when you aren't firing, and unload it before you leave it on the ground or leaning against something.

I hope some people who are new to shooting come out and give it a try. Especially you ladies out there, there's no reason for there to be fewer female shooter than male.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 11:50:15 pm »

Yes, I am thankfully a New Hampshire resident, so I can get my CCW permit. I believe that I could get a nonresident permit even if I were under 18, or are there restrictions on non-resident CCWs?

In order to get a non-resident CCW from NH, you need to send a copy of your home-state CCW.  There is an exception for Vermont (since they don't issue or require permits), in which case the applicant needs to get a letter of good conduct from his local police chief.  So, since NH is the only state I'm aware of which issues permits under 18, the only people who could get non-resident permits without being 18 would be Vermonters, presuming that the police chief was willing to give a letter.

It's good to hear that there will be 9MM and .223 for sale. My friend has a glock 9MM that he will probably bring, and he may be purchasing a Ruger mini-14 this spring/summer.

Those calibers won't be an issue.  I'm going to sit down and do some math, and then I can work up some pricing.  Once I do that, I'll start a thread and see if I can get any idea of how much we'll need, so I can estimate how much to order.  Off the top of my head, I expect that 50% of the proceeds will go to the FSP.  I'll probably split the rest up between a few different pro-gun organizations.

I'm not trying to be killjoy, when I talk about safety, I assume that most of the people who are going to want to go to the range will have some basic knowledge of firearms safety, but that might not be true for everyone. When I talk about safety, I mean, don't point it at anyone, put the safety on when you aren't firing, and unload it before you leave it on the ground or leaning against something.

Safety is always number one.  I'm going to make up (or purchase, if I get lazy) some big posters with the four laws on them.  For those who are unfamiliar:

1. All firearms are always loaded.
2. Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
4. Always know your target, and what's behind it.

If you follow those rules, it's impossible to have any sort of "accident."  Actually, there is no such thing as an accident, when it comes to firearms.  Firearms are discharged willfully, or negligently.  Hopefully, we can limit our discharges to the first, and have none of the second.

I hope some people who are new to shooting come out and give it a try. Especially you ladies out there, there's no reason for there to be fewer female shooter than male.

I hope so, too.  I'll feel silly with all that ammunition, if no one wants to shoot it :)

And yes, women should feel free to attend.  I'll have a few loaners for anyone who wants to learn.  If others are willing to loan some different firearms, I think we can make sure to have a variety, so everyone will be able to find something that fits his or her hand and skill level (hopefully, anyway).

Joe

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 02:38:51 am »

Man, y'all are really making me wish I could be there (as if I didn't already wish that!)

I have a variety of firearms that I'd love to share with those who are interested. Nothing exotic -- just yer ordinary variety of calibers and actions, both long gun and handgun. All my rifles are bolt-action or pump, so every shot has to be deliberate. My handguns are all semi-auto; yes, I lack that most basic of training firearms, the .38 Special revolver. Sorry! :-\

On a closely related subject, let me recommend the following article for anyone contemplating their first gun purchase, or anyone who's asked to advise a first-time purchaser:

http://badexample.mu.nu/archives/072816.php

Kevin

Green

• Smash the state!!
    • www.infoshop.org
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 02:42:20 am »

Guns don't kill people!!   :D

Gaping holes in vital organs kill people.  :o
"The liberty of man consists solely in this: that he obeys natural laws because he has himself recognized them as such, and not because they have been externally imposed upon him by any extrinsic will whatever, divine or human, collective or individual." -Mikhail Bakunin

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 05:43:28 pm »

Guns don't kill people!!   :D

Gaping holes in vital organs kill people.  :o

I'm guessing you believe this is witty?
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

EclecticBuddha

• FSP Participant
  • Carlos Baerga Is the Greatest Man Since Iron Man
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 05:47:30 pm »

i dont know if he does, but I do
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything