Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IJ files suit against NH  (Read 4072 times)

Justin

• FSP Participant
  • So... these are going to be my neighbors?!
IJ files suit against NH
« on: August 25, 2004, 08:18:01 am »

By way of NHPR:

Citing Fourth Amendment violations, the Institute for Justice filed suit against the state of New Hampshire claiming that its property tax laws violate the Constitution.

NH property tax laws compel homeowners to permit a search of their home during the assessment process.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 08:25:05 am by Justin »
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. - Diderot

kuhllax24

Re:IJ files suit against NH
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 08:44:23 am »

Interesting stuff.  The question is: how will N.H. legislators and the governor react to this suit?

Perhaps this could be a way for liberty-minded people to start a media campaign showing the fallacy of a statewide property tax.  If the legislature has to rework its property tax code to make it constitutional in the IJ's eyes, then why can't they make other modifications?

Am I overreacting to this bit of news?  I guess I'm a bit excited at the prospect of abolishing the statewide property tax.  The sooner that localities can determine the property tax and not the state, the happier I'll be.

Regards,

Dan

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 08:50:09 am »

Quote from: Justin
NH property tax laws compel homeowners to permit a search of their home during the assessment process.

There is a fallacy here, as homeowners can refuse entry to the assessor.
Alan

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 08:54:20 am »

If they refuse, they can't appeal the assessment, no matter how inaccurate it is.  That is one of the violations of the 4th amendment that the IJ filed suit on.

I'm writing them an email to express my support.  I may even send them some money.

Oh, and this sounds like a cause for the NHLA.  At the very least a press release offering support might be in order.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 08:56:51 am by JonM »

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 09:19:13 am »

Interesting stuff.  The question is: how will N.H. legislators and the governor react to this suit?

Perhaps this could be a way for liberty-minded people to start a media campaign showing the fallacy of a statewide property tax.  If the legislature has to rework its property tax code to make it constitutional in the IJ's eyes, then why can't they make other modifications?

Am I overreacting to this bit of news?  I guess I'm a bit excited at the prospect of abolishing the statewide property tax.  The sooner that localities can determine the property tax and not the state, the happier I'll be.

Regards,

Dan

There is a danger here, IMHO, that the legislature will over react and end up passing an income tax, or a sales tax. Remember that an income tax passed the two houses in the past, under Jeanne Shaheen, immediately following the Claremont decision. If this suit succeeds, on top of the Claremont decisions, the Legislature may feel boxed in and resort to a broad based taxed (income or sales). I'm not saying that the suit shouldn't succeed, but we will have to be very wary of what happens after.

Karl

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 09:25:22 am »

There is a danger here, IMHO, that the legislature will over react and end up passing an income tax, or a sales tax. Remember that an income tax passed the two houses in the past, under Jeanne Shaheen, immediately following the Claremont decision. If this suit succeeds, on top of the Claremont decisions, the Legislature may feel boxed in and resort to a broad based taxed (income or sales). I'm not saying that the suit shouldn't succeed, but we will have to be very wary of what happens after.

We need to make it clear that there is a simple solution to this problem -- conduct assessments like 18 other states do -- without entering the home.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 09:27:01 am »

What does the inability of an assessor to look inside your house have to do with income taxes?  They'll still have the property tax.

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 09:36:38 am »

What does the inability of an assessor to look inside your house have to do with income taxes?  They'll still have the property tax.

The danger is, that if this ruling is expanded, similar to the Claremont case, to say that the state-wide property tax itself is unconstitutional, that the legislature will then over-react and vote for an income or sales tax. The courts in NH like to make their own laws in recent years. Beware, is all I am saying. There could be unintended consequences, which we should be ready for.

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 09:56:52 am »

My bad. I just realized the suit was filed in Federal Court, not State Court. Duh!!!

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 10:06:45 am »

And just who is the IJ that the sovereign state of NH has to give a fig about their agenda?
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 10:24:24 am »

And just who is the IJ that the sovereign state of NH has to give a fig about their agenda?

Hopefully an ally.

Justin

• FSP Participant
  • So... these are going to be my neighbors?!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 01:40:32 pm »

Definitely an ally.  Ignore the Republican troll.
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. - Diderot
Pages: [1]   Go Up