Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CNNmoney article: "The Most Tax Friendly States"  (Read 2626 times)

mvpel

• FSP Participant
    • Aidoann
CNNmoney article: "The Most Tax Friendly States"
« on: August 16, 2004, 07:40:39 am »

http://money.cnn.com/2004/04/05/pf/taxes/taxfriendly_2004/index.htm

Alaska, New Hampshire, Delaware get top honors, while New York, D.C and Maine dubbed least friendly.
June 30, 2004: 2:06 PM EDT
By Jeanne Sahadi, CNN/Money senior writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) – Whether you're talking income tax, property tax, sales tax or any other tax, your home state (not to mention your hometown) can have a decided effect on your bottom line.

-----

New Hampshire ranked second behind Alaska, and New York, DC, Maine, Ohio & Hawaii, and Rhode Island rounded out the five worst list.

New Hampshire came in fifth in the five worst property-tax states, a category led by NJ, CT, NY, and RI.

There was no mention in the article about the Free State Project.  We should get in touch with Jeanne Sahadi and give her a heads-up.
New Hampshire Notary Public - Merrimack Valley Area - Silver Accepted

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
Re:CNNmoney article: "The Most Tax Friendly States"
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 07:54:11 am »

NOTE: NH is 5th worst state for property tax though so if it's second best overall then the majority of taxes are placed on property.
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

mvpel

• FSP Participant
    • Aidoann
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 07:59:39 am »

I can attest to that - our total property tax bill is about the same as it was in California even though our house is valued about 2/3 as much.

It's fine, though, since I had a 5,000 square foot lot in San Jose versus my wooded acre lot here.

There's also the property tax collected on vehicle registration, which I think is about 2% of the value of the vehicle per year.
New Hampshire Notary Public - Merrimack Valley Area - Silver Accepted

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 12:47:34 am »

I noticed that appreciation in property value has been high (356% in the New England area since 1980) in the Northeast, more than anywhere wlse in the country.

It may be that the % taxes is not that high but property values increased enough to make it more of an issue.

(I hope it's not a bubble about to burst ... can't see property values dropping in N.H. though if property taxes are lowered)
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."
Pages: [1]   Go Up