Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm back!  (Read 2719 times)

caroline

• I'm a llama!
I'm back!
« on: August 03, 2004, 07:08:01 am »

Hello, all, I first joined last October, so I'd like to re-introduce myself. At that time, I was visiting my native Massachusetts and I'd just lost my 58-year old mom, so I was very much "out of it", and when I left to return to Finland where I live, my password and the url for this site got lost in the shuffle, so I am now rediscovering this forum  ;)

My husband is Finnish and we're considering moving to southern NH within 2 years or so. We've got loads of questions to ask during that time frame, so I hope you'll bear with us. I know that many similar questions have already been asked, so I'm going to find a lot of answers in existing threads.

We didn't put any thought into where should live when we settled in our current residence, and as a result ended up somewhat dissatisfied....so we've learned that proper research is necessary as we choose our next place to live. We're both 29, I'm in the creative/visual arts field and my husband is an RF test engineer. Neither of us has ever been to NH (I've only driven through the border during trips to Maine), so we plan to take a side visit every time we visit Massachusetts until we decide to make the move. I've always been curious about NH because of its high ranking in the national averages, plus its proximity to MA without actually being MA, and the climate similar to what we're both used to. So that's why we're interested in NH as opposed to other NE states.

To start off with-

Does anyone know about NH clubs or support groups for young motherless daughters? Or, are there any young motherless women on this forum? I know there's one convention in Boston, but I was wondering about one right in NH. It's been almost a year now, but the need for support never really goes away completely. Here in Finland there isn't really much available for long-term support.

(and forgive me if my grammar and terminology sound a little funny sometimes- that's what happens when speaking a foreign language every day ;D)

Thanks!

Caroline

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
Re:I'm back!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 07:57:18 am »

Hello Caroline,
 I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Losing a loved one is never easy.
 In regards questions about NH, I am a native, and would be glad to answer any that I can. I live in SE NH, in Exeter, but am planning on moving North in the next couple of years.
 Feel free to send me personnal messages, if you wish, or ask them here.
Alan

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 08:33:27 am »

Does anyone know about NH clubs or support groups for young motherless daughters?

Here are a few links you might want to check out. Good luck!

http://motherlessdaug.meetup.com/members/274

http://motherlessdaughtersofnewengland.intranets.com/

http://www.st-catherine.com/e-bulletin.htm, http://www.seacoasthospice.org/calendar.html
http://www.seacoastonline.com/2003news/exeter/12302003/news/67974.htm ("Seacoast Hospice offers a number of special Grief Support Groups to address special grieving needs, including . . . Motherless Daughters")

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 09:05:17 am »

Welcome back, Caroline

I'm sorry to hear you lost your mother and looks like your post count's going to start from 1 again but I'm sure you'll have some fun catching up.

...RF test engineer

Good stuff :)

And ATR, you're a miracle of information.  Let me guess, you're indispensible where you work? ;)
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

caroline

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 12:10:55 am »

Welcome back, Caroline

I'm sorry to hear you lost your mother and looks like your post count's going to start from 1 again but I'm sure you'll have some fun catching up.

...RF test engineer

And ATR, you're a miracle of information.  Let me guess, you're indispensible where you work? ;)

My husband's the RF test engineer, not me. His work is a sore subject with me. We're lucky that he has a dignified job that corresponds with his education in an area with some 20%+ unemployment rate, but everyone depends on him too much (you guessed correctly) and the salary is barely enough to keep a rat alive  :P

caroline

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 12:26:52 am »

Welcome back, Caroline

...RF test engineer

Is it likely that NH can offer the same career choice for him? We're most definitely looking at southern NH. He's worried about finding work; MA would be his first choice as a place to live because it's the only state he's visited and it's the "tech central" of NE. But I argue that, from what I can tell, southern NH offers a variety of options. He's currently working for Filtronic, which apparently has a branch in Merrimack?

While we're on the topic, can anyone advise what is the corporate working culture like there; how does it blend with family and social life? Here in Finland, the two are completely separate. No visitors are allowed at company premises without a very good reason (just wanting to see where your spouse works is not a good enough reason), family members are not invited to company parties, and employees rarely socialize with their colleagues in their free time(apparently the work is the socialization). I hope the atmosphere is more close-knit and friendly in the States.

SteveA

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 12:29:55 am »

My husband's the RF test engineer, not me. His work is a sore subject with me. We're lucky that he has a dignified job that corresponds with his education in an area with some 20%+ unemployment rate, but everyone depends on him too much (you guessed correctly) and the salary is barely enough to keep a rat alive  

I think we've got the same freeloader stuff going on in the U.S.  Silicon Valley has had troubles too.  People seem to enjoy milking the cow that laid the golden goose, errrmm, I mean the golden cow that, no ... was there a chicken in that expression?   Ah, got it! ;)  The cow that gave the chocolate milk!  Yes, that it.

(I forget what we were talking about ;D)

I still that's a nice skill set though.  It'll be a while before run out of need for people who can work with RF and I'd hazard a guess that's only part of his skills.

And Finland ... I had a friend in Finland I used to hang out online with quite a bit.  There are definitely some interesting cultural differences there.  I can't imagine what 6 mos of night, effectively, must be like.
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

SteveA

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 12:41:54 am »

Is it likely that NH can offer the same career choice for him? We're most definitely looking at southern NH. He's worried about finding work; MA would be his first choice as a place to live because it's the only state he's visited and it's the "tech central" of NE. But I argue that, from what I can tell, southern NH offers a variety of options. He's currently working for Filtronic, which apparently has a branch in Merrimack?

There's an area in N.H. I've heard called the "e-coast".  Supposedly there's a relatively strong high tech industry there and I did some google searches before and it seemed that at least getting some work shouldn't be an issue.  Of course, you can always get something ... but I can't say how the market is there really.

Some stats show a higher annual income (~1$K/year more) and lower property values (~40% lower) than California.  So to me it looks like at least getting by shouldn't be too hard.

While we're on the topic, can anyone advise what is the corporate working culture like there; how does it blend with family and social life? Here in Finland, the two are completely separate. No visitors are allowed at company premises without a very good reason (just wanting to see where your spouse works is not a good enough reason), family members are not invited to company parties, and employees rarely socialize with their colleagues in their free time(apparently the work is the socialization). I hope the atmosphere is more close-knit and friendly in the States.

From what I've seen it depends.  Smaller companies tend to be more leanient on visits.  Especially if it's not a government job.  I think company picnics generally allow families.  A coworker here would meet his wife quite often for lunch but it likely depends on the job.  Many workplaces tend to discourage personal visits.
Pages: [1]   Go Up