Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Being wanted (a lonely ND plug)  (Read 8498 times)

Karl

Re:Being wanted (a lonely ND plug)
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2003, 01:22:33 pm »

faraway,

That begs the question:  If we were to end the subsidies, would the economy improve?  Or has the damage already been done?

The United States already produces far more grain and other crops than it can consume or export at a profit.  Prices are artificially low.  If North Dakota were to lose its subsidies, many farm operators are likely to shut down.  I just don't see family farms coming back to replace them.

It seems ND is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

faraway

• I'm a llama!
Re:Being wanted (a lonely ND plug)
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2003, 12:35:37 am »

Good question.  If the subsidies were ended, maybe the result would be an additional consolidation/expansion of holdings
by the largest operators.  The ag. banks would be very uneasy about foreclosing the largest operators, simply because the banks loss to benefit ratio,
would be appalling.  And so the few remaining small/medium operations would end up in the financial crosshairs, by either the ag banks or their neighbors.
Simply by not being big enough to be a concern about shutting them down.  Which is a condition which you've already alluded.
It seems the damage has been done, after all these programs (however limited or laudable the initial intent) have been in effect for generations.
If government money is to be used, I'd rather it be placed in a broader arena.  Economic enterprise zones, alternative industries (even tourism/resorts, ie the Mandan/Hidatsa seem to be very interested in that niche),
and etc.  It seems the mistake the guv'ment made in this case, was directing to one industry.  And in this case, a rising tide hasn't lifted all boats.
But likely, without being propped up, parts of the Northern plains will either lose population, or become the a type of fief.
Which is hardly within the agenda espoused by FSP, but from what I've seen in ND, and Montana, I'm not sure if this part of the country can be left entirely without some outside support.
And no, the "Buffalo Common's" thing, won't work.  Much of the potential tourism/exploration potential here (ND/East Mt) would be in specific areas which are either pretty (TR badlands), historical (Little Bighorn),
or Native Nations (the rez's).
atana potinaja
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up