Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Porcupine Festival announcement  (Read 11963 times)

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Porcupine Festival announcement
« on: December 19, 2004, 05:04:35 pm »

From Varrin S.:

Don't forget to mark your calendars for the 2005 Porcupine Freedom
Festival.

The dates are July 23-31, 2005.  Scheduled activities begin on July 27.  And
don't forget to make your reservations with Roger's Campground!  All the
information you need to know is here:
http://freestateproject.org/news/festival/

In this issue:

Art Contest
New Sign-up Page and We'll Be There list
Reminder:  Mark your calendars, make your reservations!

Art Contest:

The Porcupine Freedom Festival needs artwork!  We need logo-type artwork for
use on merchandise and in promotional material.  The art will be used on
posters, t-shirts, programs, mailings, and so on.  Send us your artwork and
you can win a free week of campsite space at PorcFest '05!  We'll select the
best piece we receive by January 10th and use it on all of our
materials.  In addition to the campsite, the winner will get free stuff
with your very own artwork on it!  For guidelines and submission
information, please visit:

http://freestateproject.org/news/festival/

Sign-up Page:

We have a new Sign-up Page and We'll Be There list.  Important: if your name
was already on the we'll be there list, please add it again using the sign-up
page.  In addition to knowing how many people are coming to the Festival, we
need to know how how many are interested in some of the specific events
we're planning.  Please register at:

http://freestateproject.org/news/festival/reg2005.php

To see who else is coming, visit the new we'll be there list at:

http://freestateproject.org/news/festival/bethere2005.php

See you in July!
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

radracer

• You miss 100 % of all the shots you never take. WG
Re: Porcupine Festival announcement
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 07:14:38 pm »

In the spirit of free market competition I think the FSP should consider another venue if Rogers won't give us a better deal for 2006. I know it's pretty out there but I am curious about the NH lodging situation.

Roger's pricing is Motel: $76/night, Tent site $23 (this is a slab of ground right? :o) (with electricity $24, with electricity and water $25), and an RV site is $35.

In East Texas at Daingerfield State Park the rates for camping are:  Campsites with electric and water.  $12
 - Campsites with electric, sewer, and water. $16
4 person cabins are $75 and Park admission is $2 if you don't want to stay there the night.

Aren't there $20/night Motel 6's in NH? $40 Ramadas, Best Westerns, Drury Inns? A soft bed sounds more reasonable for that price if I'm not inflating it myself. For a couple $76 in Downtown Dallas will get you a room at the Hilton!

"Dreams are but thoughts until their effects be tried. -  William Shakespeare"

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out
how far one can go. - T.S. Eliot

lloydbob1

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 08:57:58 pm »

There are no chain motels in this area of NH.  Rogers gave us a better deal last year, but, this year, we are going to be there at the height of their season and they don't desire our business as much as they would closer to 'off season'.

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 12:26:33 am »

In the spirit of free market competition I think the FSP should consider another venue if Rogers won't give us a better deal for 2006. I know it's pretty out there but I am curious about the NH lodging situation.

Roger's pricing is Motel: $76/night, Tent site $23 (this is a slab of ground right? :o) (with electricity $24, with electricity and water $25), and an RV site is $35.

In East Texas at Daingerfield State Park the rates for camping are:  Campsites with electric and water.  $12
 - Campsites with electric, sewer, and water. $16
4 person cabins are $75 and Park admission is $2 if you don't want to stay there the night.

Aren't there $20/night Motel 6's in NH? $40 Ramadas, Best Westerns, Drury Inns? A soft bed sounds more reasonable for that price if I'm not inflating it myself. For a couple $76 in Downtown Dallas will get you a room at the Hilton!

a few thoughts

Campsite and hotel prices vary by state, by area of state, by town, and by part of town.  Government sites are usually less expensive because the lack of taxes and tax dollars that help off-set the cost.  A few examples, hotels in Memphis range from $40 to $100+ per night.  A hotel in Cheyenne, WY changes $35 during the off season and $80 during peak season.  I've been in $20 per night mom and pop hotels and $40 per night mom and pop hotels in much poorer towns.  I've paid $40 per night in decent parts of San Antonio (right off the interstates) and $80 per night a couple miles away from the interstate.  I've seen state campgrounds for $8 per night in the AR mountains and $35 per night on the FL beach.  I stayed in a $28 per night private campground (right off the interstate- how could I sleep) in central NH during the peak season. 

What I am trying to say is that prices vary, prices vary.

From what I understand, property taxes are more in NH than in the South and the camping season is shorter.  Because of these factors, it makes sense that camping would cost more in NH.  Also, keep in mind, that Roger's offers more services than most campgrounds.  However, they are not very responsive (I called 4 times and even left a message and they never called back).  I doubt Roger’s is ripping off anyone.  Just imagine how short the camping season is in that part of the country.  Heck, I camped in central MS last week and it felt great.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 11:06:14 pm by NH Bound »

lloydbob1

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 08:56:04 am »

I have found that Rogers responds well by email.

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 10:02:11 am »

We spent all last summer in motel rooms all around NH. I found them very high compared to other states. We probably averaged $90 a night and nothing special for that rate. Sometimes it included a continental breakfast. The range was something like $52 - $140 and not once did we stay in a Hilton or Radisson type hotel.

Cathleen

Delaware2

• FSP Participant
  • Freedomfighter, Libertarian, Engineer, Early Mover
    • Rainbow Farm
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 08:08:09 am »

For a cheaper room, Have you tried the Appalachian Mountain Club?

Bunkhouse at Crawford Notch, near Twin Mtn:
http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/highland/highland-rates.cfm

In Pinkham Notch, across from Wildcat Mtn, which is a drive across the White Mountains to get to.  Don't look too long or you'll drive off the edge!.

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodging-rates.cfm#pinkham

For a local map at the Rogers site, .

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&address=10+Rogers+Campground+Rd&city=Lancaster&state=NH&zipcode=
OR
....http://www.rogerscampground.com/images/directions.GIF
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 08:44:05 am by Delaware2 »

Brien

• I'm a Leo
    • standard transportation
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 10:26:26 am »

racer:  I am very familiar with NH and for that matter all of New England.  Have lived her for 30 years.  Roger's prices are reasonable for a business probably struggling to pay his already too high property taxes.  Since NH has no income or sales broad based taxes, the burden falls upon the property owner.  Property taxes fund the schools, the teachers unions, their retirement and medical benefits.  Not to mention road repairs and maintenance, snow removal, recycling, and a host of other services each town must provide.

Lancaster is a "gateway" to the White Mountains.  Skiing and snowmobiling in the winter, camping, boating and fishing in the summer, "leaf peepers" in the fall and hikers year round.  I think the only season that isn't busy is what we call the "5th" season, known as the "mud season."  Since most town roads are dirt, it makes travel along small town roads difficult at best.  This is why most farmers busy themselves collecting the sap from the maple trees in their "sugarbushes" and boil it down into  a wonderful thing called maple syrup.  They can't go anywhere comfortably, so he may as well produce a fine quality product for the tourist and native alike.

In summary, the free market and supply and demand is alive and well in NH.  You may want to try the Beaver Trails Campground on the beautiful Connecticut River.  Rates last year were 20-25 per night w/77 sites, 45 with full hookups.    There is also Mountain Lake Campground. 104 sites most with W & E and some with full hookups.  There are 14 tent sites w/ no hookups at all.  Last year rates were $30 per family per night.   So I don't think Roger's is "ripping anyone off."  It appears to be a campground right in line with others in the area.

As for Motels, you are on your own here.  Once again, NH has almost year around tourists in some parts of the state, so the typical businessman works very hard to accommodate the influx of "out-a-statahs."  They realize which side of the bread their butter is on and act accordingly.  I am aware of some old fashioned type cabins along US Route 2.  Very quaint small cabins with fieldstone fireplaces.  I can't give you any names but as I recall they are around Jefferson, NH  There should be some "chain motels over in Berlin(28 miles) and down in Littleton,(45 miles) a bit of a drive, but mostly you will find fine B&B's or the typical small New England Inn.   I highly recommend the B&B or small New England Inn experience, rather than sterile cookie cutter chain motels.  Even "Motel Six" type places are comparable to the INNS and B&B experience but you get so much more from these usually finely run establishments with their wrap around porches, fine wicker rockers, and tremendous views of the White Mountains.

If you require more information, you can call :  NH campground owners associateion:  603-846-5511
or the NH Parks and Recreation:  603-271-3556  or the NH Travel Council:  603-665-9559

Hope this helps. 

Regards:  Brien

« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 10:40:09 am by Brien »
No country can be well governed unless its citizens as a body keep religiously before their minds that they are the guardians of the law, and that the law officers are only the machinery for its execution, nothing more......M. T.

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 12:27:06 pm »

In the past we have researched the entire state of NH for a suitable place for the Porc Fest.  Truth is nothing comes
close to the varied accommadations and size that Rogers offers.  All other options would have us spread out over a number
of different places, which in my opinion defeats the purpose of coming together and meeting the folks.

The major down side to Rogers is that it is so far north that it is more difficult for folks who want to visit other parts of the
state while staying at Rogers, but it sure is a beautiful area.

Discounts are available, but the event must be scheduled off season.  Before July 4th or after Labor Day.

If someone out there wants to pick up the ball and try and find a better place, say, hey go for it!
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 03:25:12 pm »

.....lets go off-season next year :D
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude
Pages: [1]   Go Up