Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pro-freedom Ballot messures fail across the borad  (Read 3747 times)

Eddie_Bradford

• FSP Participant
pro-freedom Ballot messures fail across the borad
« on: November 06, 2002, 01:06:51 am »

The ballot initiatives that would have seriously scaled back the drug war in some states have been uniformly shot down.  This along with a Nevada vote to ignore same sex marriges and a Florida vote to seriously curb smoking in public places makes a complete route of Libertarian left ideals.  Maybe with a republican Senate we will get some right libertarian action like more tax cuts to mitigate things like the Patriot Act.

-Eddie

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2002/pages/ballot/index.html

maestro

Re:pro-freedom Ballot messures fail across the borad
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2002, 12:51:47 pm »

On the other hand they garnered 33%, 39% and 43% of the vote.  If I remember, the marijuana ballot initiatives of 2000 got 30% or less of the vote.  It seems to me that the people are slowly coming around and realizing the ridiculousness of the drug war.  I suspect that based on this data we'll have marijuana legal or unpunishable in half the states by 2010.

Eddie_Bradford

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2002, 02:34:48 pm »

That's a good point and hopefully you are right.  Even just the issue of actually legalizing pot (as opposed to decriminalization, medical use, legalizing growing hemp or reducing prison terms) having made it to the ballot in Nevada should be considered a victory.  39% approval is really not bad for legalizing pot.  So I think you are right then but still it's sad that none of them passed.
-E

maestro

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2002, 02:43:34 pm »

yeah, but you can't expect the US to break through 70 years of propaganda in a couple of elections.

mdlowry

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2002, 05:34:38 pm »

In MA, the initiative to end the income tax also failed.  I haven't heard what the percentage was yet though.  I guess I'll be paying taxes there for a while.
 :'(
PGP key ID:  0x1022C6DB
The Paternalistic State does give its people a sense of security.  But a snug, secure populace tends to resist movement-especially forward movement.
from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO

freedomroad

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2002, 10:55:34 pm »

On the other hand they garnered 33%, 39% and 43% of the vote.  If I remember, the marijuana ballot initiatives of 2000 got 30% or less of the vote.  It seems to me that the people are slowly coming around and realizing the ridiculousness of the drug war.  I suspect that based on this data we'll have marijuana legal or unpunishable in half the states by 2010.

I do not see this coming to the religious Southern states in the next 30 years.

maestro

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2002, 02:20:11 am »

I do not see this coming to the religious Southern states in the next 30 years.

That's why I said _half_ of the states :).  I lived in the south.  I don't think they'll figure out the failure of the war on drugs that quickly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up