Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Execution on Suspicion.  (Read 19925 times)

MouseBorg

Execution on Suspicion.
« on: November 04, 2002, 09:16:29 pm »

_
« Last Edit: December 12, 2002, 10:25:28 pm by MouseBorg »
The penetrating brilliance of swords
Wielded by followers of the Way
Strikes at the evil enemy
Lurking deep within
Their own souls and bodies.

-- O' Sensei (Morihei Ueshiba)

heyerstandards

• Who's guarding the guards?
Re:Execution on Suspicion.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2002, 05:08:52 pm »

Endless war for endless peace.
Is government sometimes useful? Answered Mencken:

So is a doctor. But suppose the dear fellow claimed the right, every time he was called in to prescribe for a bellyache..., to raid the family silver, use the family tooth-brushes, and execute the droit de seigneur upon the housemaid.

maestro

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2002, 05:51:43 pm »

The media describes them as suspected, but these are the same people that the US has been watching for 2 years.  They are, as members of al-qaeda, hostile forces in a foreign land, and thus entirely within the jurisdiction of military assault.

Barbara

• FSP Participant
  • I'm now a porcupine cat-lover
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2002, 05:59:50 pm »

Go! US military.  Hello, we are at war with these (ahem)people...

For the rebuttal to all those who will jump on me for being the war-monger that I am, just click on and read someone with whom I disagree vehemently on many issues, but not this one:

http://www.anncoulter.org - that's my answer.

5pectre

• FSP Participant
  • terrorism is the symptom not the disease -1.5/-7.7
    • home
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2002, 06:38:33 pm »

Wasn't she the one that said:

"We need to execute people like John Walker in order to physically intimidate liberals, by making them realize that they can be killed too,"

Wouldn't that be terrorism in itself?

And as such wouldn't the War on Some Terror be applicable to her?

But then I forget, the government doesn't mind being friends with terrorists when it suits them.

Barbara

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2002, 06:45:22 pm »

Wasn't she the one that said:

"We need to execute people like John Walker in order to physically intimidate liberals, by making them realize that they can be killed too,"

Wouldn't that be terrorism in itself?

And as such wouldn't the War on Some Terror be applicable to her?

But then I forget, the government doesn't mind being friends with terrorists when it suits them.

I think you're comparing apples and oranges.  John Walker was fighting in Afghanistan with the forces that were enemies of this country.  And I think whether one agrees that the death penalty is a good thing is a topic for another thread.

5pectre

• FSP Participant
    • home
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2002, 06:54:20 pm »

"... in order to physically intimidate liberals, by making them realize that they can be killed too,"

(my bold)

ter·ror·ize   Pronunciation Key  (tr-rz)
tr.v. ter·ror·ized, ter·ror·iz·ing, ter·ror·iz·es

1. To fill or overpower with terror; terrify.
   2. To coerce by intimidation or fear.

ter·ror·ism   Pronunciation Key  (tr-rzm)
n.

The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

ter·ror·ist   Pronunciation Key  (trr-st)
n.

One that engages in acts or an act of terrorism.

I put to you that Ann Coulter is a terrorist. Maybe not in the American governments use of the word to mean "those bad men who aren't on our side". Everyone seems to be getting carried away with the word terrorist nowadays. Although you hardly ever hear it apply to a government despite the amount of them that engage in terrorism.

A conspiracy? :)

Barbara

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2002, 06:56:35 pm »

from what I'm seen, shes often just this side of foaming at the mouth. Perhaps if she presented herself a bit more rationally?
Well then no one would listen to her, would they?  She'd be just another female voice on the breeze.  And what's wrong with "foaming at the mouth" when you feel strongly about something that you see being distorted, misrepresented, etc. all around you?  I'm not sure we don't need a little more "foaming at the mouth" when for example, the tax and spend demos start taxing and spending, or when the religious right wing try to foist on us and legislate their morality!  Sorry - to call strong opinions "foaming at the mouth" does not adequately respond to the argument. :(   :P

Barbara

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2002, 07:05:16 pm »

You guys are too fast - by the time I prepare a response to one of the you, the other has posted something else! :o   Or I type too fast and make all kinds of typos! ::)

Apples and Oranges - The difference between speech and action is huge!  

If I say you should be executed because you are a terrorist, and I say you are a terrorist because you deliberately target innocent bystanders (as opposed to accidentally hitting them in a battle going on around them), or if I say you should be executed for treason for going to war against your own country, it is not even close to the same thing as actually gunning you down because you are the wrong religion, or flying airplanes into buildings full of non-combatants with the purpose of doing so and killing as many Americans as possible.

And, if you don't get that difference, head over to almost any country in the middle east to see it for yourself - oh, and be sure to pretend you are a woman to get the full effect.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2002, 07:08:29 pm by blnelson »

Barbara

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2002, 07:12:29 pm »

The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

P.S. You highlighted the wrong part of the above definition - you should have highlighted THE UNLAWFUL USE

Barbara

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2002, 07:15:59 pm »

No Mr. Mouse, I think she's called rabid because she is a woman with strong opinions who is not afraid to voice them in public.

Barbara

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2002, 07:19:43 pm »

author=blnelson
If I say you should be executed because you are a terrorist, and I say you are a terrorist because you deliberately target innocent bystanders (as opposed to accidentally hitting them in a battle going on around them), ...

Umm... As we are supposedly a society that uses an elective system, where we appoint those who carry out our wishes, we are not innocent bystanders. Every single one of us who supports such a terrorist state is a valid target.

Umm...I think when I referred to actual Americans who were actually killed, I termed them non-combatants.

Barbara

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2002, 07:23:34 pm »

Every single one of us who supports such a terrorist state is a valid target.
I wholeheartedly agree that anyone who supports a terrorist state is a valid target.  I disagree that the U.S. is such a state.  Self-defense is not terrorism; it is the proper role of government (and one of the only ones), and protects your and my right to have this argument (ahem, I mean discussion ;))
« Last Edit: November 05, 2002, 07:24:33 pm by blnelson »

5pectre

• FSP Participant
    • home
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2002, 07:26:22 pm »

P.S. You highlighted the wrong part of the above definition - you should have highlighted THE UNLAWFUL USE

au contraire...

it says: The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence.

I would call it a threatened use of force.

Was John Walker a terrorist (deliberately targetting innocent bystanders) or a soldier/guerilla/combatant/traitor fighting against the US invasion of Afghanistan?

Is Israel a terrorist state for deliberately targetting non-combatants and using collective punishment?

I would be interested to know your opinion on the reasons behind terrorism.

I'm sure all the dead civilian non-combatants are able to rest in peace knowing that they were shot/bombed accidentally.

Barbara

• FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2002, 07:27:17 pm »

Sorry - the operative term is unlawful
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up