Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alaska Quake & Porcupines  (Read 2626 times)

MouseBorg

Alaska Quake & Porcupines
« on: November 04, 2002, 10:54:33 am »

_
« Last Edit: December 12, 2002, 10:16:50 pm by MouseBorg »
The penetrating brilliance of swords
Wielded by followers of the Way
Strikes at the evil enemy
Lurking deep within
Their own souls and bodies.

-- O' Sensei (Morihei Ueshiba)

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA
Re:Alaska Quake & Porcupines
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2002, 02:54:16 am »

With the geo weather reports concerning Alaska's thawing (some tundra which was normally frozen is now marsh type mud), I would expect more similar interesting seismic activity due to temprature differential, weight distribution changes, etc.

I've wondered about this.  I knew that Alaska was subject to earthquakes, and this had made me wonder about moving there.  After all, if another big one hits, I'd hate to be standing out in -20 weather with my house and all available hotels damaged so as to be practically uninhabitable.   :o

I don't buy into global warming, but I do think that there are warming and cooling cycles in nature, of what duration, I couldn't guess.  Remember that they were predicting a new ice age back in the late 70's and early 80's?  But if we are currently in a warming cycle, then Alaska's tundra could partially thaw and this would result, among other things, in the land levels sinking somewhat.  People who live in areas with permafrost (permanently frozen ground) tend to build houses up on stilts, or otherwise insulate them, so that any heat from the dwelling does not transfer into the ground.  If it does, the ground thaws and contracts, creating sinkholes and swallowing your house.  But this would apply only in northern Alaska.

This thawing action, as you point out, could result in tectonic shifts that might produce some nasty consequences depending how rapidly it happened.
Pages: [1]   Go Up