Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some concerns  (Read 4120 times)

Jacobus

Some concerns
« on: November 03, 2002, 07:27:46 pm »

My wife and I have joined but at this point the states we have agreed to move to are somewhat limited.  We have some concerns about the project that we'd like to put to ease before we'd commit to moving to, say, Alaska.

1.  The membership numbers: Are the people who say "I won't move to any state except (insert state here)" included in the total membership count?  If so, then will the membership number go down after the vote on the state is taken to reflect this?

2.  How do we know that the membership numbers reflect real people?  I think it would be very easy and tempting for people who disagree with the FSP to enter bogus members to make us think we have more people on board than we really do.

3.  Are people being tracked at all?  While I don't expect chip implants and satellite surveillance, I wonder how many people will get lost after joining.  Also, I think some people might join in the heat of the moment and regret it later or just plain forget about it.  Are there profiles that we can access if we want to change our e-mail address or change the states we agreed to go to?  A good idea might be to have members reaffirm their pledge every so often or else their membership is not counted.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re:Some concerns
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2002, 09:52:41 pm »

1.  The membership numbers: Are the people who say "I won't move to any state except (insert state here)" included in the total membership count?  If so, then will the membership number go down after the vote on the state is taken to reflect this?

Yes, they're included, but they represent a fairly small number of people.  Probably between 40 and 60 people have opted out of 9 states; that's just my rough guess.  Of those probably 80-90% will be disappointed, simply going by basic probability.  So we'll some contraction there...Lately most joiners have been opting out of 3-4 states, whereas the first several hundred were mostly "I'll go anywhere" types.  it is possible that after we reach 5,000 and vote on the state, we will lose up to 1,000 of them.  However, we'll write to them and ask them to sign the new statement with the new state, and I'm sure some of them will.  Also, many will be jumping on once we choose the state.  By our current growth rates, we could make up a thousand in about two months.

2.  How do we know that the membership numbers reflect real people?  I think it would be very easy and tempting for people who disagree with the FSP to enter bogus members to make us think we have more people on board than we really do.

It's actually very easy to detect bogus entries.  We hadn't gotten any until the last few days, actually, probably due to our being linked to "halloween.com" and getting thousands of visitors (but few signups) from them.  The way the signup sheet is set up, a registrant has to give us some valid contact info.  Almost always this is an email address.  If I write the email address with a greeting message, and the email bounces, it's probable that the entry is bogus and I delete it.  Otherwise the person is signing on to be contacted by us, on average, about twice a month, so it would have to be a very committed anti-FSP'er to do something like this, and he probably wouldn't think it worth adding the extra "1" to the membership number to get our messages.

3.  Are people being tracked at all?  While I don't expect chip implants and satellite surveillance, I wonder how many people will get lost after joining.  Also, I think some people might join in the heat of the moment and regret it later or just plain forget about it.  Are there profiles that we can access if we want to change our e-mail address or change the states we agreed to go to?  A good idea might be to have members reaffirm their pledge every so often or else their membership is not counted.

No one can find out who's joined except by physically breaking into my computer or that of one of the other organizers - or by monitoring this forum.  It's a risk, I suppose, but I'm not really concerned about it at this stage, and I'm the one who's most likely to get hit if anyone is.  Right now we don't have profiles people can log into to change their information, but we may implement this eventually.  (It will take a lot of work and a good bit of expense too, to make it fully secure.)  I've thought recently about having people taken off the membership list if they don't cast a ballot in the state vote.  After all, someone who doesn't participate in our most important decision can't be counted on as an activist.

So far I've seen two people renege on their pledges, both for reasons that were, frankly, bizarre and meaningless.  For whatever that's worth!
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

bethy

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2002, 12:55:21 pm »

I think there is a need for some sort of way to change ones information; i.e. -- my last name has changed since I was married (I had joined the FSP beforehand). I think more contact information is needed to really confirm someone as a member, such as an actual mailing address.  These days some people change their e-mail address(es) quite often.

(I am Jacobus's wife, btw).  

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2002, 01:24:07 pm »

You're right, bethy - that's why we're doing this mailing to the membership in about a month.  We'll be asking people to give change of address and any other relevant information.  We've got valid mailing addresses on probably over 95% of our members, but there are always a few that don't give us anything but an email address.  I guess they're worried about privacy.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything