Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: happy with status quo, but willing to go east  (Read 4867 times)

Matt Arnold

• The Electric Monk
    • Internal civics for your mind!
happy with status quo, but willing to go east
« on: October 31, 2002, 02:40:12 pm »

I recently cast off a religious environment that could be described as authoritarian. On the self-government compass of the World's Smallest Political Quiz I would have been represented as the conservative right corner of the diamond. Now that I have freed my mind, I have moved in the past few years to the top Libertarian corner of the diamond.

Let's face it, I'm so giddy with my newfound freedom that I laugh at the suggestion that I do not possess liberty in America in the 21st century. I am just fine with my government the way it is. I support other people's right to do anything victimless. But I myself don't have anything I want to do that is currently illegal, or which anyone even wants to make illegal. There are are plenty of controversial things that already have become legalized, such as alcoholic beverages, which don't interest me either and which I personally regard as foolish IMHO.

But if I wish to be free I have to want others to be free. So I find myself willing and eager to vote for Libertarian candidates.

But to move to a trailer park in some godforsaken wasteland, give up my career to waste my potential on some boring minimum wage job, and have nothing to do and nobody to do it with? Just to have these mere tweaks to the greatest political system ever? I already live a life that three hundred years ago would have been considered to be a hopelessly optimistic Utopia!

I'm sorry, but there's only so much I can reasonably be expected to sacrifice. It has to be a life better than the one I have now-- I won't trade a ton of convenience for a tiny bit of extra freedom. That's not a hard criteria as long as it's east of the Mississippi. But I have several deal-breakers. The state has to have thriving high-income metropolises with exciting downtown recreation, sophisticated companies, a cutting-edge intellectual life, and quick access to the rest of the continental U.S. I've had it up to here with living in the bible belt, I already want to move out of state. Since California is impractical for the FSP, it has to be the Northeast. Give me urbanity and you can legalize anything you want.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2002, 05:00:04 pm by Matt Arnold »
He believed in a door. The door was the way to... to... The Door was The Way. Good. Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't have a good answer to.

Matt Arnold

• The Electric Monk
Re:happy with status quo, but willing to go east
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2002, 04:57:08 pm »

Thanks for the welcome.

I guess you could sum up my perspective as, "Sure, I'll come along on the Free State Project as long as you choose the state where I was going to move anyway." ;D
He believed in a door. The door was the way to... to... The Door was The Way. Good. Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't have a good answer to.

heyerstandards

• Who's guarding the guards?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2002, 05:42:17 pm »

Matt, I share your concerns. How willing am I to give up what I have and jump into the unknown.  Am I willing to pack what I can into the Conestoga wagon and just go?  

I just found a evangelical church with a strong school and knit community. My children range from 5 yrs to 1 mo; how disruptive do I want to be?  We live a block from my retired in-laws; how far do I want to be from the in-laws ;-). I love my job.  Can I root up and move?

I could take the easy route and only donate money and maybe adopt a [Free Stater] and help him with living expenses.  I could do some electioneering and campaign work from out of state.

But the point is that we have an historic opportunity. I'm not talking about the history of America.   I'm talking about the magnitude of discovering the New World!  Or the new Reformation!

It will take a couple of years to get there and get through some election cycles, but when they write the history books in 200 years, the new America starts with the Free State Project.  Every other state in the union cannot compete with us economically.

How will the tax and spend northeast compete with a Taiwan/Hong Kong appearing in New Hampshire.  How will politicians/bureaucrats repsond to increasing comparisons of "If the [Free State] legislature can cut taxes 80%, why can't we?"

The three people who will read this post need to grab hold of the FSP. I am a wait-and-see and I'll-help-how-I-can-from-here participant. We may start with 20,000 in the new [Free State], but when people see it works, only our lack of state unemployment insurance will retard the 200,000 who follow.

Godspeed

Is government sometimes useful? Answered Mencken:

So is a doctor. But suppose the dear fellow claimed the right, every time he was called in to prescribe for a bellyache..., to raid the family silver, use the family tooth-brushes, and execute the droit de seigneur upon the housemaid.

heyerstandards

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2002, 08:40:03 pm »

I imagine most of us have a dim view of government welfare, but those of us on the sidelines must be willing to put in a few bucks to help make ends meet.  After all, there will be an enormous flux in the job market.

So is a doctor. But suppose the dear fellow claimed the right, every time he was called in to prescribe for a bellyache..., to raid the family silver, use the family tooth-brushes, and execute the droit de seigneur upon the housemaid.

heyerstandards

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2002, 04:59:09 pm »

Frankly, before I write the check, I'll have an application process to make sure my "proxy" is representing me well.

Matt Arnold

• The Electric Monk
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2002, 10:38:55 am »

The proxy is an interesting twist that I had not considered. I think if the FSP ends up choosing an unpleasant state I could contemplate some financial support for living expenses. When I was a fundamentalist pew-sitter I used to support foriegn missionaries, so if I could do that, why not "Adopt A Free Stater"?

JT

• FSP Participant
  • How can someone else know what's best for you???
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2002, 08:16:13 pm »

Adopt ME!!!  I'm a poor college student!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Matt Arnold

• The Electric Monk
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2002, 11:23:18 am »

The problem is, how little are you willing to live on? Especially out in the boondocks?

JT

• FSP Participant
  • How can someone else know what's best for you???
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2002, 01:33:23 pm »

I had planned on leaving as soon as the 5k mark was reached as I can live on practically nothing (I can live with minimum wage) , but now that I'm back in school I feel that I should stay until I'm finished.  My school has an excellent Criminal Justice program, and hopefully I can find a decent law school in the Free State.  I anticipate many legal hassles for FSPers so maybe I'll be able help out in regards to jumping over the legal hurdles to keep this thing going full speed ahead.

Assuming I get into a law school I'd have to live near one, so that rules out the Boondocks (although some cities in the candidate states could probably qualify as 'Boondocks'  ;) )

Pages: [1]   Go Up