Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Get out of the box - FSP in Costa Rica!  (Read 3093 times)

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
Get out of the box - FSP in Costa Rica!
« on: October 28, 2002, 06:47:52 am »

I think the focus of the FSP has been too narrow.  Not to mention too northern.  I vote we add Costa Rica to our list of move-to locations.  Tropical weather...  No military...  5 Libertarians in congress...  

Meph
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

Penfist

• FSP Participant
  • Work together to build something that lasts.
    • Penfist
Re:Get out of the box - FSP in Costa Rica!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2002, 09:31:40 am »

Hurricanes, a much lower standard of living, unfamialiar customs and laws, jungle, bugs, lower standards of medical care, language barrier.

I've considered Costa Rica in the past, and will again if all else fails. For me, the idea of moving there is a last ditch escape hatch sort of thing.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Steve

• FSP Board Member
  • Administrator
  • La Vero vin liberigos
    • Elegant Solutions
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2002, 01:17:04 pm »

And it's another country--could we vote there?  We could at least be "activists" and support the local LP.  

We need to *reduce* the number of risk factors, not increase them.  Learning a foreign language, for example, is no trivial undertaking.

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2002, 08:30:31 pm »

I'm in a bit of an unusual situation with my job.  Basically, it'd be financially beneficial for me to move *anywhere* outside of the U.S. for tax purposes (I can keep my job and I work almost exclusively overseas, hence could claim the foreign earned income exclusion).  As a result, I've spent a huge amount of time researching where to go.

Costa Rica is not at the top of my list for some of the above mentioned reasons.  Though it is high on the list (primarily because of good LP activity there), it's not quite to the top.  There are many other places that seem promising.  The Bahamas, for example, has a great tax climate, though their trade and labor policies are downright awful (translates to high cost of living for lower quality).  Belize is a possibility as they're english speaking (primarily) but on the mainland.  But they seem to be flushing themselves down the political toilet as we speak.  The Dominican Republic is independent and has a nice geographical variety to it.  Again the language is an issue, as are many other things.

The bottom line is, I can't even agree with *myself* as to where the best place to go is and I have a significfant financial incentive to go *somewhere* (which probably isn't the case for most FSPers).  And if for no other reason than voting rights, our success would be limited to lobbying and influencing the other voters around us.

The U.S. is not the worst place in the world to be (I've been to about 25 countries in the last 2 years and have been to 45 of the 50 states in the U.S. at least once).  Though there are some places that might look better right now, I think the idea of transforming a state into a beacon of freedom for all the world to see is very promising.

I just wish I could quit paying federal income tax.. ;-)

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up