Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: NH tax burden drops  (Read 14182 times)

Dalamar49

• FSP Participant
  • I smoked out the sheriff and his deputy! : )
Re:NH tax burden drops
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2004, 10:00:06 pm »

:o

Oh dear. I didn't think I was behaving so rudely,  but it looks like I was. Sorry, Wes.

I admit that I took offence at Wes's demands that we "fix" New Hampshire before he help us. I also didn't like his rudeness to Jason. It takes a team effort of activists to make change in a state. We'll need help, not demands that we do something.

But, maybe I read it wrong. If I did I am extremely sorry, Wes.  :-[
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 10:02:09 pm by Dalamar49 »
Get up, stand up, stand up for your right. Don't give up the fight.

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2004, 04:43:15 pm »

Maybe I'm just being overprotective of Wes, but at leasat with me, it ticks me off, when I ask a question or try to explain myself, and the next thing I know instead of somebody trying to understand my position or whatever they just launch into a tirade of "quit complaining."

Or like I had an English teacher I was asking questions of and eventually she just looked at me and said. "Well, do what I say, or you'll get it marked wrong."  To me this is just a cop-out. A signal that the teacher has no more use for rational discussion.

In the same way when I'm a part of something, and trying to work to make it better. (If you'll recall Wes did say he'd move -- just not obtain residency yet. That means he can still be an activist, and write LTE's and what not.)  And I'm asking questions, it doesn't do anybody any good to cop a "You have no right to ask questions, or complain cause you're not working as hard to fix it as I am." attitude.  I guess the frusteration that I know I would feel, if I were Wes, would be "Why do you assume I'm not helping out to change things"? And so now, this individual, whose asking legitimate questions feels attacked and defensive. Is it no wonder he starts being rude back?

I mean, I've asked simular things, in relationship to the property tax issues in NH.  I might not be able to afford to move to NH to help out, untill you guy's help make it a little better first.  I realize moving to help work for liberty would be an inveestment, but what if I don't have the funds, money, credit, whatever, to make that investment, and because of such be forced to wait untill it's a little more libertarian with a little less tax burden before I make the move, to help push it to become even more libertarian?

Now, for me. Hopefully the sale tax on food here in SD will be repealed. Then I can save an extra $600 or so a year, to help me make the move to what is at least currently a higher taxed, place. And survive in the higher taxed state of NH before we get the taxes down.  But it'd be a lot more affordable for me to make the move if the tax burden was already the same or even lower then SD's by the time I was more capible of making the move. Yes, I know Job's pay more there. But for me that doesn't really matter either, because my business isn't connected to my location. I don't work at a "JOB." I'm in NetWork Marketing.  And as such, my passive income would be largely the same regardless of where I lived.

I'm sure that, while I can't speak for Wes, these are the simular types and concerns going through his head in this thread. Perhaps it wasn't my place or business to tell Dalamar49 he was behaving rudely, and if it wasn't, I guess I should appologize too. But I guess I empathised with him, because I've been in simular situations, and conversations -- here even, but also other places.

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

Dalamar49

• FSP Participant
  • I smoked out the sheriff and his deputy! : )
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2004, 10:23:26 am »

Wes said he's moving? Ah crap! Then I did unjustly attack him.

Again, sorry Wes.  :)

I'll be happy to work with you and everybody else so we can force those taxes down and make it less expensive to live in NH.

Personally I think NH's taxes are pretty low compared to Nevada's and will be happy to be outta this Californicated sinkin' ship.
Get up, stand up, stand up for your right. Don't give up the fight.

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2004, 12:31:01 pm »

Some stocks pay rather high dividends, more likely with the reduction in dividend tax on the federal side.  It is not impossible to hit $2400 in dividends if you're invested in a lot of dividend paying stocks over a long period of time as they split etc.  If after 20 years your 100 shares of XYZ corp are 2,000 shares paying 50 cents a share, there's $1000 a year right there.

Of course, before deciding where on the tree this issue is, it would be nice to know what the state collects per capita on I&D, and individual numbers (how many at certain levels) if possible.
I have a coworker who buys stocks just before the dividen is due, hold it for a few days till the price goes back up( which it does not always do of course) and sells it, turns around a buys another stock. He usually beats the market but he has been trading  for 20 years or more. Dividen taxes would hit him hard but he mostly trades through his 401k account and contributes the max of over 11,000 a year to the account.

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2004, 12:41:26 pm »

This is the actual, current, Belize Trust Law:

http://www.belizelaw.org/lawadmin/PDF%20files/cap202.pdf
                                                                                                   What about Charitable Donor Trust are the dividens  from them in NH? If the Free State Project is a 5013c or whatever a donor trust might be set up with the project if it is agreeable to the parties in question.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2004, 09:45:23 pm »

This is a good issue to explore as an alternative to 501c3. I suspect that donations to a trust are not tax deductable. Trusts are primarily used to shield assets against double or triple taxation after you've already earned the money to donate.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up