Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taxachussetts  (Read 5075 times)

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
Re:Taxachussetts
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2004, 11:46:30 am »

Benson didn't want fusion this time around (there aren't enough of you here yet ).....

I think he's doing the right thing.  Once we have enough influence to make a difference in the primaries, running as a fusion candidate would be great.

My guess is that the Libertarian Party in New Hampshire isn't entirely displeased with him in office :)

We need to get more support there and prove we can give candidates the backing they need.  Once there's confidence that issues can be handled successfully without scaring off support, we're on the way toward realizing the Free State! =)
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2004, 12:22:38 pm »

How would we work, or how could we help push them together like this?

Have people been talking to the two of them and asking them to run?

Tracy

Benson/Johnson in '08.  ;D

who is Johnson???

I definitely hope Benson runs in the GOP primary for president in 2008.

Johnson is Gary Johnson, the libertarian-leaning republican who was governor of New Mexico, and eliminated all jail time for people caught with less than 5oz. of cannabis (max $100 fine).

I met him once when he came up to NH to speak to the Dartmouth Libertarians - A HECK of a guy. He's now part of LEAP.

Benson/Johnson is my dream ticket.

JM
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2004, 02:55:32 pm »

Benson/Johnson in '08.  ;D

who is Johnson???

I definitely hope Benson runs in the GOP primary for president in 2008.

Johnson is Gary Johnson, the libertarian-leaning republican who was governor of New Mexico, and eliminated all jail time for people caught with less than 5oz. of cannabis (max $100 fine).

I met him once when he came up to NH to speak to the Dartmouth Libertarians - A HECK of a guy. He's now part of LEAP.

Benson/Johnson is my dream ticket.

JM

:o oh, crap.  all this time I thought it was Bill Richardson who was the libertarian-leaning governor of New Mexico.  oops.  Oh well, nobody I mentioned it to probably bothered looking it up.

that would be one hell of a ticket.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 02:55:59 pm by thegotoguy »

DougD

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2004, 11:32:37 pm »

I have read that Massachusetts has 20,000 registered Libertarian voters....

Didn't the NH FSP contingent attempt to contact them a year or two ago about joining the FSP?  Maybe it's time to try again.  Is voter registration information in Massachusetts publicly available?

They wouldn't have far to move, and they would have a big incentive to do so, living in a high tax state.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2004, 10:19:59 am »

Stats say we've got 188 FSP members in Mass. Don't know how many of those are due to our postcard mailing. Thats under 1% of the registered libs in Mass.
We definitely need to do more outreach. I would suggest we have a booth kit (if we dont' have one already, make one) and get people to man a booth at the various county fairs around Mass as well as the Great Eastern States Exposition in Springfield, MA.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

AnonCastillo

• FSP Participant
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2004, 10:44:09 am »

If we can get ahold of mailing lists for registered Libertarians in the states whose LPs have endorsed us, and send a mailing to those states that are in the top fourth or so of the country tax-wise, or which are extremely strict in ways that NH is not (gun control, etc.), we can get maximum effect for the money.

Anyone want to form a committee to look into this (first to figure out which states are good targets, then to go about getting the lists)?
To those who understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand, take me as I am
Not under your command, I know where I stand
I won't change to fit your plan, take me as I am
"As I Am" - Dream Theater

SBottari

• FSP Participant
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2004, 08:50:14 am »

Quite a few years ago State troopers had gone to fireworks stores in NH and staked them out for MA plates, since even sparklers (I am not kidding) are illegal in MA.  They were pulling people over as they returned to the commonwealth.  NH did not take kindly to that.

That's deplorable, even here (Minnesota)cops can't do anything outside their jurisdiction - Staties turn around at the border,  City/suburb cops stay in their city boundries unless going to a meeting or something.

And even just last year or the year before they made most non-exploding fireworks legal to sell and use here.  Before the staties used to wait on the Minnesota side of the river to search your car from buying fireworks in Wisconsin.  But, even then they never did that through a job of searching.  Now, you can buy fountains and all the pretty stuff, and if you get rockets from out of state -  they won't stop you from firing them.  
"The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly, flat, and dishwatery utterances of the man who has to be pointed out to intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States."
   -The Chicago Times review of After Lincoln's Gettysburg Address
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up