Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: NH small group family health insurance cost  (Read 7855 times)

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
Re:NH small group family health insurance cost
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2004, 11:51:10 am »

Crum.  The sad truth:  New Hampshire has a "community rating" law. :P

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xxxvii/420-g/420-g-4.htm

We'll need to repeal this bugger.

From the law does that mean they can only charge smokers 1.5 as much as non smokers or say 150 dollars a month instead of 100 dollars a month but no more? The same with bad health?

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2004, 12:25:20 pm »

Well it looks like it is offical, Maine is going for a state Universal plan. Check out todays freemarket.net or the Washinton Times. It is called a voluntery plan and it seems private plans will be avaliable with the, federal government, the state government or taxpayer, and employers footing the bill, plus users will pay a  monthly fee based on their income.                                                      
    I guess when all the state mandates the state only had a couple of providers still operating in the state and at a very high cost.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 12:31:54 pm by Terry 1956 »

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2004, 07:18:35 pm »

I guess I don't understand what a community rating law is?

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2004, 09:46:38 pm »

I guess I don't understand what a community rating law is?

Tracy

Tracy If I have it right I think it means that whatever the state government declares a community a insurance company can not charge more for any member in that  group or if the state allows a company to charge more for some, the state sets the percentage. It seems that NH will not allow insurance groups to charge  smokers more than 50% more than non smokers or people with bad health 50% more than people in good health.

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2004, 12:09:09 am »

Sounds like in many ways, to a certain extent, that it forces healthy people with healthy lifestyles to subsidize unhealthy people with unhealthy lifestyles.  That's even worse then government subsidizing self destructive behaviors. -- Forcing private companies to do it.

Tracy
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 12:09:52 am by Tracy Saboe »
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2004, 09:12:54 am »

Sounds like in many ways, to a certain extent, that it forces healthy people with healthy lifestyles to subsidize unhealthy people with unhealthy lifestyles.  That's even worse then government subsidizing self destructive behaviors. -- Forcing private companies to do it.

Tracy

It is easier for politicans to regulate or make a private firm do something rather than tax more and have the government run an operation.

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2004, 01:25:21 pm »

It is easier for politicans to regulate or make a private firm do something rather than tax more and have the government run an operation.

This is another form of indirect taxation.  A certain percent of your labor is redirected against your wishes to comply with some legal requirement.

It doesn't have $ value tagged to it but it costs nonetheless.
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2004, 03:00:41 pm »

This is another form of indirect taxation.  A certain percent of your labor is redirected against your wishes to comply with some legal requirement.

It doesn't have $ value tagged to it but it costs nonetheless.

It sure is, of course the politican will claim they did not raise taxes, they may even claim to have to have cut taxes. Now if a family insurance plan in NH cost 3,000 dollars more a year than another state because of heavy regulations that is like a 5% income tax on a family making 60,000 a year, 10% on a family making 30,000 a year and 20% on a family making 15,000 a year. Who says NH doesn't have an income tax, all the states have at least an indirect income tax.                        
   What is the actual indirect income tax in NH or any  area with health insurance regulations, housing and zoning regulations etc etc and it seems these indirect income taxes are often regressive.

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2004, 03:11:54 pm »

Hey Terry,

Perhaps a foolish question, but so what are we going to do about it?
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2004, 03:12:08 pm »

Yesterday I seen a link from freemarket.net to an Associate Press article by Rebecca Cook( I think it was in a Seattle paper online). The Article was on a doctors plan called Simple Care, the doctor reduces his fees if you pay cash, for example one doctor cut a visit from 70 dollars down to 48. Mrs. Cook interview one 55 year old man who used the plan, he used to have a regular insurance plan at over 300 dollars a month but only carrys a catastropic plan that runs 75 dollars a month now.                                                                      
    Now I'm going to have to check into that to see if its doable here.

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2004, 03:19:00 pm »

Ok now were cooking, that may very well be a start.  Hoping you can get back to us with more info.
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2004, 03:31:44 pm »

Check out    http://www.simplecare.com                            
     Now if I can find out if there are other plans as well and are they usable in my state and NH.                                                  
   Finding Catastrophic care insurance will be a task as well. In NH  it may not be avaliable with the community ratings, I don't know. You need to contact your state representive , state senator, and the governor on this, it should be an easier task to get these community rating regulations etc changed in a small populated more fiscally conservative state like NH.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 03:39:05 pm by Terry 1956 »

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2004, 03:38:04 pm »

Check out    http://www.simplecare.com                            
     Now if I can find out plans as well and are they usable in my state and NH.                                                  
   Finding Catastrophic care insurance will be a task as well. In NH  it may not be avaliable with the community ratings, I don't know. You need to contact your state representive , state senator, and the governor on this, it should be an easier task to get these community rating regulations etc changed in a small populated more fiscally conservative state like NH.

Well I see no General  doctors with Simple Care in TN, there is one in NH in Northwood.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up