Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NH small group family health insurance cost  (Read 7864 times)

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
NH small group family health insurance cost
« on: March 29, 2004, 11:51:24 am »

From a report at the Heartland Institutes newsletter Health care news, a 2000 study show NH. the third highest cost for  small group family health insurance.          
      MA. was the highest at 8,468 a year, NY second at 8427 a year, NH 8290 a year.                                            
   SD was the lowest at 5,678, ND 5,713 and MO at 5790, CA. was a low 5945 dollars.                                      
  This fiqures are from the year 2000 both Maine and Vermont cost may  be the highest today.

Karl

Re:NH small group family health insurance cost
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 12:02:38 pm »

Do you have a link to the study?

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 02:13:00 pm »

Do you have a link to the study?

Go to Heartland.org      then click on Health Care News under publications, then click on the article titled New York Health Insurance, the table is down into the article. It is worthwhile to read the article to get an indication of why some states are so much higher than others.

FreeBoB

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 11:43:05 pm »

Thanks for the info and link...I'm one of the self-employed in NY forced to pay for the mandated increases in health insurance...New York - what a freakin' MESS.

GET ME OUT OF HERE!   ???

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 11:52:38 pm »

Why is NH so high?

Is there hyperregulation in this area?

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 08:44:10 am »

Why is NH so high?

Is there hyperregulation in this area?

Tracy

That would be something for some free state people including those that are now living in NH. to check into.                                                                                    
Does the state madate community ratings or what?            
     If you get a chance go back to Health Care News and  search for last months( or the month before) article on Vermont and search for Articles on Maine. Maine came very close to passing a state single payer plan like Canada.I can not see that happening in New Hampshire but something seems wrong.

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 08:53:18 am »

Health Insurance is not the only insurance problem. My state is having a big problem with Workman's Comp, for example the place I work at has plants here, in VA. and Arkansas. Workman's comp cost nearly 3 times the payout in my state than in Ark. and twiced as much as in VA. My plant and several other employers have put the state legisltor on notice that such high cost will effect their companies future plans and choices.

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 09:05:31 am »

one way to check up on non group family and individual health insurance plans is through quotesmith.com. You put in age, sex, smoker or non smoker, weight, occupation, state, county, zip code and the co pay amount etc you are willing to pay. A person can compare various states this way.                    
      Notice that in California a lot more insurance companies offer plans than say in NY or Maine.                  
  There may be other instant quote services out on the web as well.

Karl

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 09:33:04 am »

There's more here than meets the eye.  The "average premiums" are affected by many variables, not just government intervention.

For example, all of the "high premium" states except Texas and Maryland have older-than-average populations.  Also, New Hampshire residents tend to have higher incomes generally than the national average, so it may stand to reason that people choose to purchase more coverage than average.  There are surely dozens of other important variables...

Remember, these are AVERAGES.  That does not mean you'll pay the average.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 09:34:17 am by Karl Beisel »

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2004, 09:48:36 am »

Hmmm... sorry that I can't offer too much insight into this issue, but I can tell you my experience.

I am in NH and am self-employed. We have a private family health insurance policy for my husband and I (both mid thirties) and our daughter. To keep costs lower, we opted for a relatively high deductible - $2500 each or $5000 total. The cost of this insurance just increased from $403/month to $432/month ($5184/year). In the next month or so, I had planned to shop for a better coverage/lower cost policy. I'll report back with any results.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 09:49:03 am by Michelle »
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2004, 11:21:26 am »

Hmmm... sorry that I can't offer too much insight into this issue, but I can tell you my experience.

I am in NH and am self-employed. We have a private family health insurance policy for my husband and I (both mid thirties) and our daughter. To keep costs lower, we opted for a relatively high deductible - $2500 each or $5000 total. The cost of this insurance just increased from $403/month to $432/month ($5184/year). In the next month or so, I had planned to shop for a better coverage/lower cost policy. I'll report back with any results.

Ok, I'm 48 and single, in TN. I  checked last year on the TN. Blue Cross website and I could get a similar plan that I now have through My employer for around 160 dollars a month with drug coverage and I think a 2,500 dollar deductible( which is only 250 through my employer).                                                                                          I just ran  a quote and got 8 pages, nearly 160 diffrent plans offered, the lowest 30 dollars a month for a limited use short term plan, the highest 471 dollars a month for a 250 dollar dectuctble, 80% co pay, stop loss 5,000 dollars, the nest highest was 460 dollars a month, 1,000 dollar deductible, no co pay.                        
     I got 6 pages of quotes when I limted it to  long term plans.

Karl

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2004, 11:26:32 am »

Crum.  The sad truth:  New Hampshire has a "community rating" law. :P

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xxxvii/420-g/420-g-4.htm

We'll need to repeal this bugger.

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2004, 11:39:06 am »

Ok, I'm 48 and single, in TN. I  checked last year on the TN. Blue Cross website and I could get a similar plan that I now have through My employer for around 160 dollars a month with drug coverage and I think a 2,500 dollar deductible( which is only 250 through my employer).                                                                                          I just ran  a quote and got 8 pages, nearly 160 diffrent plans offered, the lowest 30 dollars a month for a limited use short term plan, the highest 471 dollars a month for a 250 dollar dectuctble, 80% co pay, stop loss 5,000 dollars, the nest highest was 460 dollars a month, 1,000 dollar deductible, no co pay.                        
     I got 6 pages of quotes when I limted it to  long term plans.

Ok, I ran a quote using Coos county, NH. I got one page of quotes for temporary plans of 1- 6 months. the lowest cost 76 dollars a month for 1,500 dollar deductible, 50% copay, 5,000 dollar stop loss, the highest at 210 dollars a month for a 250 dollar deductible, 80% copay, 5,000 dollar stop loss.                    
  No long term plans were offered.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 11:52:41 am by Terry 1956 »

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2004, 11:45:27 am »

Crum.  The sad truth:  New Hampshire has a "community rating" law. :P

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xxxvii/420-g/420-g-4.htm

We'll need to repeal this bugger.

Yeah and I beat if you check you will find all the New England states have it and check even further and the major Health plans like Blue Cross lobbied to get it and now its coming back to hit them as well. Some of the major plans have also lobbied against association plans like mutual aid church group plans, even in Texas.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up