Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Off-Grid Homestead Subdivision  (Read 13578 times)

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
Re: Off-Grid Homestead Subdivision
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2005, 04:51:32 pm »

A diesel generator is more expensive initially but you can run it with waste vegetable oil. Restaurants have to pay to dispose of their oil so they save money if you take it for free.

You just have to settle and filter the oil and have a way of heating the oil to thin it before running it through the diesel generator. Once the diesel is running and warmed up you can use the diesel cooling water to keep the oil heated.

Cheers!
Pat
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright

Evenstar

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Participant
    • My Blog
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2005, 08:14:00 pm »

Funny thing... I'd heard of diesel engines running on vegetable oil in vehicles, but never considered that a diesel generator could do the same... that's not a bad idea at all!
Searching for my place in "Life, the Universe, and Everything" one day at a time.
Maybe I've finally found it... in NH! (www.FreeStateProject.org)
Visit my blog.

Sergeant Roark

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2005, 10:05:42 pm »

As for vegetable-oil burning Diesels, learn from my mistakes:

I spent $800 on a kit from a Mass. company called Greasecar and it simply does not work. It apparently works on Volkswagens, but NOT on Ford short buses, as they claimed it would. Now I'm stuck with this ridiculous bus that gets 12 mpg on Diesel. The greasecar.com forum is full of people who've had trouble with it. It's a cool theory, and our bus did run perfectly on veggie oil for about 120 miles, but now it won't run on it at all. I was a Diesel mechanic for 4 years and I can't make it work. Just a warning.

lloydbob1

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2005, 06:51:48 am »

I have no firsthand knowledge about running veg in diesels, only theory, from reading, but, it would seem to me that if it ran on veg for a while, something, probably either coking, or filter problems, that you could fix, is the problem.  What does Creacecar have to say about the problem?

FreeBoB

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2005, 08:26:14 am »

As for vegetable-oil burning Diesels, learn from my mistakes:

I spent $800 on a kit from a Mass. company called Greasecar and it simply does not work. It apparently works on Volkswagens, but NOT on Ford short buses, as they claimed it would. Now I'm stuck with this ridiculous bus that gets 12 mpg on Diesel. The greasecar.com forum is full of people who've had trouble with it. It's a cool theory, and our bus did run perfectly on veggie oil for about 120 miles, but now it won't run on it at all. I was a Diesel mechanic for 4 years and I can't make it work. Just a warning.

My son converted a Chevy Tahoe to run on waste veggie about 6 mos ago.  All problems are fixable.  He hired a local guy to do the conversion (there are two in Ithaca).  Each problem he had after the conversion was fixed, or the system slightly modified.  Once, early on, my son put the veggie oil fuel filter in backwards and it took them hours to figure out what the problem was!  He's been running for months now without problems of any kind.

Not only diesel generators, but oil home heating furnaces can be modified to run veggie!

Brian

Sergeant Roark

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2005, 11:48:47 am »

The guys at Greasecar aren't much help; apparently almost all of their customers drive VWs, so the kit is sort of designed for them. VW drivers don't seem to have any problems with it at all, but there are a bunch of us with Fords (well, the engines are made by International) with similar problems. Again, the bus DID run on it, so the concept is sound; I would just recommend making your own kit or buying one from someone other than Greasecar unless you drive a Jetta or something.

lloydbob1

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2005, 01:14:19 pm »

Not only diesel generators, but oil home heating furnaces can be modified to run veggie!

Brian

Altfuelfurnace Yahoo group

and

http://www.econoheat.com/

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2005, 09:18:01 pm »

The guys at Greasecar aren't much help; apparently almost all of their customers drive VWs, so the kit is sort of designed for them. VW drivers don't seem to have any problems with it at all, but there are a bunch of us with Fords (well, the engines are made by International) with similar problems. Again, the bus DID run on it, so the concept is sound; I would just recommend making your own kit or buying one from someone other than Greasecar unless you drive a Jetta or something.

I put the Greasecar kit in a 1985 Mercedes 300TD. 8000 miles on fish & chips and Chinese restaurant oil. I had a 60 mile one way commute. I now have a 1984 Mercedes 300D I am installing the kit into.

Pat
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2005, 09:22:11 pm »

Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

Chuckster

• FSP Participant
Re:Off-Grid Homestead Subdivision
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2005, 03:57:24 pm »

Are you the same Chuck who got in all that hot water over the Grafton situation ?  Or someone different?
Not me.  I don't know anything about that and haven't, as yet, done any business in NH, though I have been active in Hawaii and Vermont.
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it." George Bernard Shaw

Chuckster

• FSP Participant
Re:Off-Grid Homestead Subdivision
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2005, 04:01:35 pm »

Diesel Generator running on grease?

Wind, photovoltaics, and microhydro would be much more common, I think.

We are using a combination of photovltaics and biodiesel generator to power a large business operation in Hawaii.  We are totally self sufficient, energy wise.
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it." George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up