Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Build or Buy? I say Build... and Create  (Read 8170 times)

mikefam

• Live free or Die:death is not the worst of evils
Re:Build or Buy? I say Build... and Create
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2003, 12:02:18 am »

i'm just thinking if some of the early movers got together and moved to a smaller town those people could start living the life of liberty by getting rid of the local BS rules and regs, like building permits ,driveway permits, excessive property tax via the way the tax bill is set up( there is state county town and school district taxes on 1 bill) thus making it tough to excercise ones right to freedom of assocation. i'm really just sayin build or buy, come check out Deering NH its ripe for the taking,, back .
          As for the underground house, just build on the high ground

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2003, 03:43:53 am »

Appealing to a town's voters with socially beneficial effects of underground and dome housing (environmental and energy conservation) could get people on our side. Unique housing solutions like co-housing which might be banned under "large lot" zoning (multi-family housing being zoned out) could be offered as a solution to the problem of few low-cost housing units. If porcupines build a private school (or homeschool) this will reduce the burden on the local town as well. According to CAIRE that's one reason for so-called "large lot" zoning. From their front page:

Welcome to NH's Very own "little shop of horrors"

- A Socio-Economic Class Cleansing Program in disguise -

ACROSS THE NATION - the building of housing is severely restricted by "open space" laws, severe zoning ordinances and draconian environmentalist rules. Meanwhile, the building of apartments is made unprofitable by rent control.

IN NEW HAMPSHIRE - Unfair and discriminatory property taxes for education dollars has contributed to the shortage of affordable housing, has increased poverty, and homelessness.
Local officials know that more housing means more children to educate and higher property taxes. The cheaper the housing, the greater the imbalance between the taxes paid by the housing compared to the public cost generated by the housing so NH has large lot zoning (which zones out multifamily housing) that makes affordable housing impossible. NH has in a sense zoned nearly the entire state against children because of the fear of higher property taxes.  

This combined with an overall NIMBY (Not in my backyard attitude) and a populace at large in a general state of denial, with a dysfunctional and inept legislative body at the beck and call of its notoriously corrupt judicial branch at the helm, has created a population of refugees forced to migrate to areas of NH, and sometimes beyond, where subsidized shelter of any kind might be available.  

More and more dollars for education under the guise of "Its for the children" + oppressive, unfair and discriminatory property taxes = large lot zoning = less affordable housing = less industry = higher and higher prices = more and more working homeless and homeless = more and more people living in poverty." Because administrative bureaucracies at all levels, town, county and state often set up spending questions in ways which pit different interest groups against each other because the bureaucrats biggest fear is that if too many "feud" groups combine, they will have to change their ways of doing business. Deeper and wider this sinkhole grows and when and where it's going to stop nobody really knows.  

mikefam

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2003, 08:33:01 am »

good luck trying to change these od Yankees, their kind have been running small towns like mine since the king was dethroned here in 1776. in all practicalcality i would need 30 to 40 voters to sit with me at town meeting and we could own this town in the name of Liberty

mark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2003, 01:52:47 pm »

good luck trying to change these od Yankees, their kind have been running small towns like mine since the king was dethroned here in 1776. in all practicalcality i would need 30 to 40 voters to sit with me at town meeting and we could own this town in the name of Liberty

Actually, according to the new-and-improved FSP model we would need only 20 activists in Deering with it's population of 1,910 persons.  ;D

mikefam, would you be willing to do some research on the local political scene there? I'm thinking we should start approaching this with local percentage of total FSP activist numbers in mind.

mikefam

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2003, 05:16:43 am »

You are most likly right on with the 20 number, people always come up to me after town meeting a congratulate me for being so articulate and what not, I feel if there were more people (than the uaual 3)they would have participated in the process more fully instesd of being a spectator.  but I sure would'nt mind doing some leg work on the ground up here

mark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2003, 06:37:43 am »

You are most likly right on with the 20 number, people always come up to me after town meeting a congratulate me for being so articulate and what not, I feel if there were more people (than the uaual 3)they would have participated in the process more fully instesd of being a spectator.  but I sure would'nt mind doing some leg work on the ground up here

BINGO! Those 3 people feel like a downtrodden minority so why should they even bother, right? Please have a look at this thread I started and ask those people if they would be willing to support the second part of the FSP SOI. Tell them they're not alone anymore.

Overlooked importance of recruiting NH natives as FSP members

Second part of the Statement of Intent reads: Once there, I will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of civil government is the protection of life, liberty, and property.

You all are already there! You can focus your energy and resources on the good stuff now rather than worry about relocation details like the rest of us!  ;D

ps mikefam (or is it just Mike?), perhaps what you can do is create a data reference report for your local area. Collect data on housing, jobs, market opportunities and the like. Then start collecting political, both current and historical, intelligence on town government. I'm sure the FSP research commitee will include it with the NH data when they finally publish it on the website. The  NH Community Profiles site has some data on Deering but nothing like the living, breathing knowledge we need to really know a place.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 06:45:39 am by mark »

mark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2004, 12:28:01 pm »

Example of a farm growing with a cohoushing community.

Blueberry Hill Cohousing

NHHomes

• I can help you move to our fabulous state!
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2004, 12:53:50 pm »

Zoning and subdivision laws depend on the town, so you just have to contact a town clerk to find out what is possible.  If multiple buyers are interested in purchasing a large parcel of land and subdividing it for multiple ownership/homesites, you can write the contract contingent on a study period which will allow you to determine the rules, do the perk tests, order the surveys, etc., and even line up buyers for the new parcels before even going to close on it.  

Let me know if you want to brainstorm on options, creative financing techniques, etc.  I'm happy to help anyone moving to this region find an experienced professional to help them buy land.  I can also help you in the Upper Connecticut River Valley area, near Dartmouth College.  If you don't need the help, I am here to bounce ideas off of or to locate contact information for anything you need to know.

- Gretchen from Hanover, NH

Gretchen Wallace
Coldwell Banker Redpath & Co.
8 West Wheelock St.
Hanover, NH 03755
603-643-1888
Gretchen@cbredpath.com

Chuckster

• FSP Participant
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2004, 03:14:51 pm »

If I had seen this thread earlier, I wouldn't have started this one:

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=42;action=display;threadid=6358

Perhaps the moderator can combine the two.
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it." George Bernard Shaw

jnoyes

• Ad Orthopraxia
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2004, 06:31:36 pm »

Hi all
Im planning on builidng an off grid  passive solar bermed house with associated green house, gardens, orchards etc...
Ive been designing this house in such a way that It can be small to start and expand when needed (as I also have plans for an coop/orphanage)...to start I wanted to buy the land raw go camping on it and use my vacation time in the summer and slowly build it to livability...

Just like everyone else money is tight...and while I can afford to buy 5 acres at $1500 per... the acreage that sells that cheap only comes in huge parcles....so thus no land....

we really need to get a coop or buyers-group together to pool money so we can actually consider one of these big parcels maybe even start our own town.

please feel free to contact me jeremy_noyes@hotmail.com if you're interested. :)

worst case scenerio we can all help each other find information about various pieces of land
The authority and responsibility between families, villages and states should be democratic only in the realms that must by necessity be commonly shared.  There is little need for state authority over the village, and precious few things should be the concern of the nation.

rodschmidt

Underground House
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2005, 11:57:31 pm »

I think it will bwe a while before you get a permit to build an under ground home.

Call it a "cold frame."

Read "The $50 and Up Underground House Book"

wayneq

• FSP Participant
Re: Build or Buy? I say Build... and Create
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2005, 06:55:05 pm »

Build Our Own Homes!

I would like to recommend a local New Hampshire business based in Walpole, NH. The Company is called FirstDay Cottages. They offer some excellent homebuilding kits designed by an architect to be constructed by homeowners in 15-20 weekends. Here is their website:

http://www.firstdaycottage.com/

I have done some research on the kits and the company and I must say that I'm impressed. Check it out.

Maybe some of us could band together and pay each other to help build our new homes.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up