Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thousands of Porcupines have moved already!  (Read 3710 times)

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
Thousands of Porcupines have moved already!
« on: March 10, 2004, 01:55:24 pm »

http://www.politicsnh.com/archives/pindell/2004/March/3_10blevens.shtml

excerpt:

It will be the third time Blevens, a realtor, has run for the U.S. Senate and the fourth time he has sought statewide office. (He ran for governor in 1998.) In 2002’s contest against John Sununu and Jeanne Shaheen he received 2.2 percent of the vote.

He will have more success this year, he says, because thousands involved with the Libertarian Party inspired Free State Project have already moved into the state with the sole mission of electing libertarian minded candidates.

“The energy and phone calls from Free Staters has been remarkable,” Blevens said.

Thousands???  Thousands of us have moved already!  Wow!    ;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 01:55:55 pm by SethCohn »

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
Re:Thousands of Porcupines have moved already!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 03:08:26 pm »

Nah, we are just so hard working that it SEEMS like there are thousands of us... ;)
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 04:19:44 pm »

I'm sure Ken was misquoted. He knows it hasn't been thousands. But, FWIW, I did hear him last weekend talking about how appreciative he is of the help he has been getting on his campaign from some recently moved Porcupines.
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

Dawn

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 10:20:58 pm »

Just goes to prove, once again, that you can't believe everything you read. I know that I personally have been misquoted before too so I take everything I read with a grain of salt, just in case it's inaccurate.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 10:59:03 am »

Curt Schilling (the Red Sox's new starting pitcher) wore a t-shirt the other day that said "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can, and will be, misquoted and used against you". ;)

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 12:36:37 pm »

Yeah like when I used the phrase "eliminate the need for public schools" and responding letters to the editor quoted me as saying that we were going to "eliminate the need for public schools."

Morons!   ;D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 12:37:02 pm by LeRuineur6 »
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 02:09:39 am »

I thought I'd pass along a notable little conversation, that my wife, Aleisha, had this last week while she was attending a social function.

The topic of conversation amongst the group of ladies there touched upon discovering the lack of general interest in private schooling in Utah.  Aleisha happened to mention that she had strong feelings against sending her children to public schools, and then somehow managed to include mention of the Free State Project and moving to New Hampshire which left a few ladies stunned, but one quickly complimented her on her courage to stand by her principles, and related the story of her sister and brother-in-law:

When the both of them were married, they decided that they were somehow going to stand for freedom as a couple, since it was their mutual interest in certain patriotic themes and paleoconservative authors that brought them together in the first place.  They decided to start their lives by moving somewhere in the United States where freedom was valued.  They started their search and planning in the West, but then were given some wise counsel by several people to go look into New Hampshire.  They were inspired by the history and tradition of moving to New England in their quest, home of where the ideas were put in motion for a Constitutional Republic based on moral principles.  They made the move to NH immediately after the honeymoon.

This was several years ago.  Recently, due to a career move and to be closer to family, they moved back to the Western U.S., but they readily admit that living in New Hampshire permanently changed them for the better, and they miss it immensely.

One observation to come from all this: while living in NH, they met dozens upon dozens of others who had also made the move from states all over the country for the exact same reason, to carve-out a bit of freedom in a not-so-free world.  This couple was neither big "L" libertarian nor small "l" libertarian, and most of those they met were not libertarian either, mostly something more like paleoconservative, or Goldwater Republican, but sure as anything, whether they had moved in 1976 or 1996, they had all moved to better appreciate life with a bit more freedom.

This thought, extrapolated- out to very rough statistical estimates, might reveal that indeed thousands of freedom-seekers, while not from among our Porcupine ranks, already have made 'the move'.
And if there is anything so extra-special in using some sort of 'refuge status' in describing ourselves, the concept may already be so common it is passé in New Hampshire.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 02:11:36 am by Kelton Baker »
Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 02:43:45 am »

I've been surprised at how many people know the N.H. state motto is "Live Free or Die".  Apparently it's not a secret that N.H. has a bit more freedom oriented culture than elsewhere.

It would be nice if someday it's widely known that Vegas is for gambling, Utah is for Mormons and New Hampshire is for freedom :)

I felt the same way you did, in that picking N.H. was good because we effectively had some porcupines there already.  (Not that other states don't have people with similar views but if even there was a single percent bias in N.H. equates to ~15,000 people and if the trend continues, we'll attract more)
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

mvpel

• FSP Participant
    • Aidoann
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 06:45:44 am »

We've met a number of people here since we moved from California who came as much as 30 years ago for exactly the same reasons we did.

There's been a de-facto "Free State Project" underway here for decades.
New Hampshire Notary Public - Merrimack Valley Area - Silver Accepted

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 07:05:57 am »

This "defacto FSP" is why we still have more freedom than other states. It is clear to me that 20k new FSPers will have a dramatic effect on life in NH. Even 5k can do a lot. So many of the immigrants to NH talk of coming not only because of the tax situation, but the freedoms we still have, that other states have lost. I encourage all who who can, to move here as early as you can, so our journey here can truely begin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything