Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Midwest FSP -- MI, n OH, ne IN  (Read 57610 times)

bIlluminati

• FSP Participant
  • For freedom
Re: Midwest FSP -- MI, n OH, ne IN
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2005, 02:41:13 am »

I'm in Columbus, Ohio, which is along another border to the Cincinnati area. Lately I've been working shifts which are not conducive to meeting people during normal waking hours - working evenings and weekends. But that is about to change, so presumably will be more active in the near future.

Face-to-face meetings are useful, but a bit challenging. When we had one in Columbus, people drove from 200 miles away to attend, but I was the only one from Columbus, even though I know at least five members locally - probably there are more that I don't know.

Again soon

Thomas
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.

EclecticBuddha

• FSP Participant
  • Carlos Baerga Is the Greatest Man Since Iron Man
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2005, 03:06:35 am »

I'm near canton and other than pintofasout theres nobody in eastern ohio actice it seems.  Our whole area isnt close to most points in PA and sure as hell isnt close to Indiana or Michigan.  I get my 40hrs in over sun. mon. and tues so any place within 45min-1hr of columbus is within my reasonable driving range.  It already takes me 2+hrs to get there if I take I-70... unless of course someone would rather come to the Pro Football Hall of Fame festivities going on... that would rock.

Detroiter

• I take my llama shooting!
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2005, 05:45:35 pm »

This local group is in need of a new leader...current leader has posted on the Yahoo Group that she will be out of the country in a matter of a few weeks.  Anybody out there with an interest?
Activism on the 90% gap between freedom & today's reality, not endless debate about the 10% we disagree on, will  make or break the endeavor to restore freedom.

AmerTwnCrier

• FSP Participant
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2005, 09:55:09 pm »

Greetings All.  I finally managed to get signed in. My thanks to Brian Sullivan @ Participant Services for the quick reply. 
First things first.  I'm currently selling my property in the Sheridan Michigan area and was planning on buying in Michigan.  My second choice was to move to Panama or Costa Rica - but without a social security number I can't get a passport and now I also will be unable to get a drivers license renewal.  Some statism idea that it will be possible to catch 'dead beat dads'.  Well, I'm not a dad - in fact, I don't have children.  Ok, I've been a member of the patriot movement for over 25 years so I know why they really want the number used. This is what motivated me to start using the internet...looking for answers to survival without an SSN.  I found FSP from a banner ad when I was on the Sierra Times webpage and here I am. 
This leads me to ask all the mid-west members what they want? It appears there is a need for a local group leader and I've got time on my hands to spare.  Until next August I can even travel to meetings.  After that, maybe I'll try an Internation drivers license or the World Service Authority (WSA) which issues documents under the United Nations.  That's another story.  In the meantime...I'd like to get busy!
Lately the question, "Can one person make a difference" has been on my mind. Rather then go into the details let me jump to the end. How about taking back just one state!  Get the pyramid back in order: First comes, WE THE PEOPLE, the the state and THEN the feds.  With that thought in mind...and then connecting with FSP it seems the possibilities for developing a 'Galt's Gulch' is within reach. (I know there are some Objectivists out there - that was another motivation for joining. OK...I'm getting long winded.  Hello to you all. I'd like to start hearing from you.

AmerTwnCrier

• FSP Participant
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2005, 02:23:34 pm »

Hello again Midwest members...I've been browsing other threads? while you've been offline and the social security number is an issue I wanted to make sure we all discuss here in our group.  I found the NH regulation that addressess the issue in relation to drivers licences and found that all of us (if we moved to NH) would in fact need to place it on the form.  Only renewals can avoid the requirement...so each of the 20,000 going to NH would have the problem.  I'm pasting the regulation for you to read...we really need to deal with this.  I'll be ready to move to NH as soon as my property here in MI sells and I would like to be there while staying in touch with this group. BUT...I don't use my number (haven't since 1990) and WON'T use it again.  Here it is. When you get online...I'd really like to start hearing from you and start to meet with you. PS...I just re-read the regulation (I forgot to be VERY careful and it would appear that it could be understood that a RESIDENT may not have to give it.
What do you think? How does it read to you? Thanks.
TITLE XXI
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 263
DRIVERS' LICENSES
Form of License
Section 263:40-a
    263:40-a Social Security Numbers; Addresses; Application Form Options. –
    I. (a) An applicant for a driver's license who has not previously been licensed to drive a motor vehicle in this state shall provide his or her social security number in the application. The applicant shall be given the opportunity to determine whether to have his or her social security number retained in the records of the department of safety. The application form shall include a box to check off if the applicant does not wish to have his or her social security number retained in the records of the department.
       (b) The application form for a renewal of a driver's license may request the social security number of the applicant. An applicant who is a resident of New Hampshire shall be given the opportunity to determine whether to provide the social security number. The application form shall include a box to check off if the applicant does not wish to provide his or her social security number pursuant to this paragraph.
       (c) The application form for an initial driver's license or a renewal of a driver's license shall include a box to check off if the applicant does not wish to have his or her social security number appear on the license, a box to check off if the applicant wishes to have his or her mailing address appear on the license instead of his or her home address, and a box to check off if the applicant does not wish to have his or her computerized image, likeness, or photograph retained in the records of the department of safety.
    II. Notwithstanding RSA 91-A, RSA 260:14, RSA 261:60, or any other provision of law to the contrary, the social security number shall not be a public record open to the inspection of any person. The department shall not sell or otherwise provide individual social security numbers or lists of social security numbers for any purpose which is not stated in this paragraph. The department shall only make the social security number available to other states for driver record purposes, to any national driver information repository established pursuant to federal law, or, on their request on a case by case basis (a) to a law enforcement agency that requires the social security number for investigative purposes, or (b) to the department of health and human services for use only in the administration of child support enforcement.
    III. At the time that an individual provides the social security number to the department, the individual shall be given the opportunity to determine whether he or she desires to have the number printed on his or her license. If the individual desires not to have the social security number printed on his or her license, it shall not be printed on the license.
    IV. An individual shall be given an opportunity to determine whether his or her mailing address shall be printed on the license instead of his or her home address. If the individual desires to have the mailing address printed on his or her license, the home address shall not be printed on the license. The individual's home address shall be retained in the department's records.
Source. 1989, 349:1. 1995, 310:181. 1997, 351:54. 2002, 214:1, eff. Jan. 1, 2003.

Detroiter

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2005, 08:16:48 am »

Greetings All... 
This leads me to ask all the mid-west members what they want? It appears there is a need for a local group leader and I've got time on my hands to spare.  Until next August I can even travel to meetings... In the meantime...I'd like to get busy!
Lately the question, "Can one person make a difference" has been on my mind...Hello to you all. I'd like to start hearing from you.

Hey back at ya, AmerTwnCrier-  You should post over on the Yahoo Group Midwest Porcupines as well.  I have found in the past that more people are posting there than on the FSP board, although there are also some who refuse to Yahoo and only use the FSP board.  And yes, this group has been deathly quiet for some time now...perhaps the end of summer will bring people back to their computers.

What do I want as a local group?  Interaction with other pro-freedom folks.  Information about local issues.  Activism where it makes sense.  Promotion of the FSP, to help raise awareness & bring in new members.

Erica (current leader) is looking for handing off 2 things, moderator (spam filter-outer) for the Yahoo Group, and leader of the Midwest Porcupines.  I'd suggest contacting her, as well as the Local Groups coordinator (contact info for both listed at the top of this thread).
Activism on the 90% gap between freedom & today's reality, not endless debate about the 10% we disagree on, will  make or break the endeavor to restore freedom.

Jack9f

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2005, 08:35:36 am »

I just found this forum and I am interested in sharing with others concerning the FSP and other Libertarian ideas either online or within driving distance of Detroit, Ann Arbor, Flint, or Lansing.

Detroiter

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2005, 07:40:32 pm »

Hello Jack9f- Welcome to the forum.  I gather that you are in my general vicinity...do you have any thoughts on successful endeavors from recent news (medicinal MJ in Detroit & Ferndale, MCRI anti-affirmative action petitions, other)?  Any good ideas to reduce size & scope of gov't in our area?  One that I have is to force our state police to stop melting down all the guns they come into possesion of, and sell them like our Dept. of Natural Resources does at auction every year.  Hard to get figures, but I figure they gotta waste a million dollars a year with that policy.  On the local level I'd like to get our Code Enforcement staff cut in half, and move the remainder from police interceptor vehicles to some 50 MPG type vehicle (they think they are supercops enforcing important laws!!!).

AmerTwnCrier

• FSP Participant
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2005, 03:45:00 pm »

Hello Jack9f and welcome.  I live about an hour north of Lansing and have wondered if any meetings could be scheduled.  Our area has been rather quiet for some time.  FSP is looking for group leaders and it sounds interesting but for now even meeting new interested people would be a start.  I'm not really interested in trying to change Michigan...I'm NH bound as soon as my property sells.  If you or any others in the area want to try again to set up a meeting let's give it a try.

templersstorms

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2006, 05:42:10 pm »

Hello, I am sort of new to FSP but am very very interested in it. I am as of now still a minor, but would still like to attend your next local meeting, so just wondering where and when. I live in Webberville. Which is not to far from Lansing. I could prolly brings some friends who I are slowly learning that they are not free and they are becoming very pissed off about it. I know many people who are learning this fact, but they do not know that they are not alone. They need organization, they need some way to help do something about it, as most are not the kind of people who are about to directly start something to do something about it. So, they/we need some direction, and I believe that this might just be it. Peace out.

Aim - templersstorms
Yahoo - amadeus_james
e-mail - 40kultraist@gmail.com

AmerTwnCrier

• FSP Participant
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2006, 06:09:52 pm »

Hello to everyone in the Midwest area. A young man recently posted on the underground site and wanted to plan a meeting. I talked to Nik Ludwig the other day and it looks like Nik will be able to be in the Michigan area toward the end of august. We discussed the idea of a meeting to have a chance to talk to amadeus and his friends.
I live an hour north of Lansing..in Crystal. (Find Carson City and go north 6 miles).
Anyone interested in coming to Crystal for the meeting please let me know. It's an opportunity to meet with local FSP'ers and to meet Nik as well.
So far it appears that about 8 - 12 people will be attempting to make the meeting.
Hope to see you here. We will be having a BBQ and I suppose I'll even put on my Town Crier costume.  :)
Let's see if the Midwest can get it together.

Jitgos

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2006, 09:53:51 pm »

Dear Fellow Free Staters:

If you know anyone in Northern Indiana/Southern Michigan please let them know. Thanks!

I'm writing to you all to invite you to our first local FSP event on Saturday, 8/26/06. We'll be meeting at Hacienda restaurant at Easy Shopping Place in downtown Elkhart at 5:30pm for food and fun.

Below are a few notes that I have for everyone:

1. For a map and directions http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&q=hacienda&near=Elkhart,+IN&cid=0,0,3283755684946427819&ie=UTF8&ll=41.690348,-85.966941&spn=0.023042,0.030513&om=1 .

2. If you plan to attend (as I encourage everyone to do - it will be fun!), please RSVP via email at this address or by phone if you have not already done so. Everyone who shows up is of course welcome, but the more I have a handle on how many are attending the better. Thank you!

3. Personnel at Hacienda will be able to direct you to our table. Just mention the FSP.

4. Mr. Nik Ludwig, the FSP's Volunteer Coordinator will be coming down to Elkhart specifically for this event. Not every Local Group gets this kind of attention, so it will be a great opportunity to learn about activism in general and the FSP in particular.

That's about all for now. Please have a good week, try to beat the heat, and I'll see you all on the 26th!

For Liberty,
Jeremy Couch
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 10:00:24 pm by Jeremy Couch »

mvpel

• FSP Participant
    • Aidoann
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2006, 01:59:39 pm »

Hello all,

I'll be visiting my family in Ann Arbor, Michigan, the week between Christmas and New Year's, December 23-31, and would be interested in getting together with any Free Staters in the region while we're out there.

Caren and I are the first ones to have made the move to New Hampshire after the vote.
New Hampshire Notary Public - Merrimack Valley Area - Silver Accepted

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2006, 05:22:18 pm »

I'll be visiting my family in Ann Arbor, Michigan, the week between Christmas and New Year's, December 23-31, and would be interested in getting together with any Free Staters in the region while we're out there.

Caren and I are the first ones to have made the move to New Hampshire after the vote.
Awesome!!

I would suggest you get in contact with the Michigan LP ASAP, and see if they'll let you speak for a few minutes at any meeting they might have during that time. Whether or not you're not an LP member yourself, they might be interested to hear your story. It's a great way to let like-minded people know that we are scoring victories already, and that they can choose to come join us any time they wish.

You also might want to post on the Midwest Porcupines Yahoo group.

Good luck and have fun!

Klaus

• FSP Participant
  • (The Swiss) are most armed and most free.
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2006, 12:43:31 am »

You know, it seems we get so close to actually getting together that I can almost taste it!  But it just hasn't happened yet.  Let's try again, shall we?

I know that Richard Mawby can host a get-together at his rural location about a hour NE of Grand Rapids.  There are several Porcs in the GR, Grand Haven, Muskegon, etc. area.  We have Porcs in Lansing (Amadeus and crew of course!), and Retta I know is in the Detroit area.  I'm sure I've missed some (so please chime in) but here's what I propose:

If possible, let's either A) meet somewhere west-central (Grand Rapids, Lansing, Richard's place, etc), and then try for another meeting in the Detroit area.  Or B) if everyone agrees to drive, we all drive to Richard's place and make him put us all up for the weekend :).  (Don't think he has enough room actually but who knows?  And a handful of silver might interest him...).  Particularly if he has a place to shoot, camp, play some music, etc., that could be a great time (we did something like this in Minnesota in September and it was a lot of fun and we picked up a new participant who came along - so good for recruiting also).  Or let's make a plan C).

If you have other ideas please post 'em, but let's keep talking until we come up with a plan that works.  As you know, I'm originally from Northern Indiana, so I'll drive over from Minnesota (with some advance notice), visit the relatives in Michigan City, maybe pop over to Elkhart and see how Jeremy's group is doing, and then see the Wolverine/Porcupines, or whatever you decide to call yourselves ;).

Lemme' know what you think!

Nik (cross-posted to the Midwest Porc Yahoo group)
All the armies in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come.
- Victor Hugo
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up