Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When will Prop C come to NH?  (Read 2863 times)

rapt

• I am a digital & fine artist.
When will Prop C come to NH?
« on: August 04, 2010, 01:28:04 pm »

I just moved to NH last month with my new husband. He has been a member of the free state project for many years and I have been for a few years. We are excited to be here and even more excited to vote. When will NH get a vote to opt out of Obamacare? Arizona, Florida and Oklahoma are holding similar votes:
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_c847dc7c-564c-5c70-8d90-dfd25ae6de56.html
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 01:30:20 pm by rapt »
Life is what we make it, and the world is what we make it... To the gentle, many will be gentle; to the kind, many will be kind. A good man will find that there is goodness in the world; an honest man will find that there is honesty in the world; and a man of principle will find principle and integrity in the minds of others. ~Morals and Dogma, by Albert Pike, [1871]

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: When will Prop C come to NH?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 02:25:21 pm »

We won't. NH doesn't have that type of system.

rapt

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 05:00:25 pm »

But there are New Hampshire laws that trump federal laws. For instance, in June I got married in Philadelphia and went to the City Hall and changed my last name to married name and switched my maiden name with my old middle name. I got my ss card changed to my married name with new middle name-- according to federal law that is my married name. Then, we moved to NH and I went to the DMV to get my NH license and found out that in NH federal law (that says I can change my middle name to my maiden name) does not apply. NH has it's own law that I would need to go to small claims court. I didn't care because I just left my middle name off my license.

So can't NH do the same for Obamacare? Can't we decide to opt out somehow? What will happen with Obamacare?

I am staunchly opposed to Obamacare and that is one of the many issues that prompted my recent move to NH to be a part of the free state project.
Life is what we make it, and the world is what we make it... To the gentle, many will be gentle; to the kind, many will be kind. A good man will find that there is goodness in the world; an honest man will find that there is honesty in the world; and a man of principle will find principle and integrity in the minds of others. ~Morals and Dogma, by Albert Pike, [1871]

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 05:23:30 pm »

John was trying yo say NH doesn't have a citizen proposition process like those other states.

If you live in NH find a state rep or senator who will introduce the bill, get with the NHLA, and rouse people to support the bill.
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 06:24:56 pm »

I got my ss card changed to my married name with new middle name-- according to federal law that is my married name.

Federal law does not care about your married name. Or maiden name. Marital status. Or whatever. Federal law, er regulations, care that they can match up your government records with the name you go by.

So can't NH do the same for Obamacare? Can't we decide to opt out somehow? What will happen with Obamacare?

There're many dozens of roadblocks that we can throw up and make it nearly impossible to implement ObamaCare. Some of them, however, are not very "politically feasible" at present. Elections are coming...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 06:27:33 pm by B.D. Ross »

Mdj

• Mark Douglas Jacobsen
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 07:10:20 pm »

Wow NH has no initiative procedure? That blows. How about making one?

In Mukilteo, in my home state of Washington, red light cameras are being dealt with by the initiative process. Besides citizens disabling or destroying them, that is if they came to NH, or are in NH, what would be a good way to deal with those?

rossby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 07:40:11 pm »

I thought so too at first. But the state is so small, it doesn't really seem to be an issue. The state legislature is very accessible, very personable. In the next 15 minutes, I could be on the phone with a half-dozen legislators. Citizens literally write bills for their legislators to submit.

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 08:58:38 pm »

I thought so too at first. But the state is so small, it doesn't really seem to be an issue. The state legislature is very accessible, very personable. In the next 15 minutes, I could be on the phone with a half-dozen legislators. Citizens literally write bills for their legislators to submit.

In fact, I'd _oppose_ initiatives.  Our current system is MUCH better.  Initiatives are for states where the only way to make changes happen is to end run around the system... We don't need that... you can get _any_ bill you want introduced pretty easily.  Getting it thru the system takes time/energy/etc... but far better than just putting stuff onto a ballot and having folks vote Yea or Nay.
Especially things that are complex or 'feel good'.

People do use warrant articles at town meetings to do 'local' initiatives... some symbolic, some financial, some policy wise.  But that's per town, not for the state.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 10:11:58 pm »

In fact, I'd _oppose_ initiatives.  Our current system is MUCH better.  Initiatives are for states where the only way to make changes happen is to end run around the system...

Texas has the worst of both worlds: no referendum system, and also no easily approachable legislature. In order for direct citizen change, the constitutional amendment is the only option... and it gets used. Boy, does it get used. The Texas Constitution of 1876 has been amended 467 times (with 176 amendments proposed but rejected).

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:13:57 pm by KBCraig »

KBCraig

• FSP Participant

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 04:25:13 am »

In Mukilteo, in my home state of Washington, red light cameras are being dealt with by the initiative process. Besides citizens disabling or destroying them, that is if they came to NH, or are in NH, what would be a good way to deal with those?

NH RSA 236:130 prohibits public roadway surveillance - with some few exceptions (the worst of which - 236:130 III (a) should be stricken - hint, hint!)

And there is also RSA 261:75-b "Use of Automated Number Plate Scanning Devices Prohibited. – The use of automated number plate scanning devices is prohibited except as provided in RSA 236:130."
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 07:43:01 am »

welcome to NH rapt!!

I am pretty sure that there will be some bills in the upcoming session regarding '10th Amendment issues'.. in fact HCR6 was the first one of those laws (put in when Bush was still president) to lead the nation.

I second the notion of joining the NHLA.

Elections in November are coming up... we need to make sure pro liberty people get elected.
If you PM me and tell me you town I can steer you to some people in your area that are proliberty.

rossby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 08:38:07 am »

NH RSA 236:130 prohibits public roadway surveillance - with some few exceptions (the worst of which - 236:130 III (a) should be stricken - hint, hint!)

Noted...

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 08:53:57 am »

red light cameras Besides citizens disabling or destroying them, that is if they came to NH, or are in NH, what would be a good way to deal with those?

We did fight them already once and win... in fact, we won so big, it was overwhelmingly against them, enough to rest the issue for a few years.  I'm sure it'll come back... but we know what works, what convinces legislators that it's a bad thing (lack of due process for one), and how to stop it again.

Again, way way better than trusting that holding a wide vote, where the other side will invoke 'it's for the children' over and over, and convince people who don't understand things like due process.

rapt

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 09:09:27 am »

This is all great information. I am learning so much. Thank you for your posts.
p.s. After living in a major metropolitan area for most of my adult life, I have been privy to the dangers of the emotional vote (mob mentality & why America is supposed to be a Republic vs. Democracy)-- where trying to explain logic is like talking in a foreign language. I think that where there is a large concentration of people like major cities, the 'feel good' or 'it's for the children' attitude prevails and logic is deemed ignorant, heartless, racist... or so the mob says.
Pages: [1]   Go Up