Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Mid-Atlantic FSP - MD, n VA, DE, DC, se PA  (Read 70020 times)

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
Re:Mid-Atlantic FSP - MD, n VA, DE, DC, se PA
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2004, 03:07:44 pm »

Posted on the Yahoo group a second ago:

Hey all,

This is a bit late (and slow on my part), but since we're the Mid-Atlantic group and some of us are in the DC area, does anyone have any ideas for a peaceful get-together to coincide with the inauguration?  Is there some way we could capitalize on the great gathering of people and press?  

Post here or email ideas to krick at freestateproject dot org.

Thanks, and happy holidays.

Kate
It's time for President Paul.
www.ronpaulhq.com

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
Mid-Atlantic calendar and activism
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2005, 02:32:53 pm »

Mid-Atlantic Free Staters!

We have work to do.  For the second time in a row, we’re going to alter our meeting schedule—this time because there’s just too much good stuff going on.

For those in Virginia (or who don’t mind driving), this weekend (1/14-15) in Charlottesville will be the Ludwig von Mises Institute’s conference on “The Trouble with Taxation.”  Attendance is free, but registration is required. (http://www.mises.org/upcomingstory.asp?control=72)

The discussions will feature Lew Rockwell, Tom DiLorenzo, Mark Thornton, and others, and it promises to be quite a show.  Anyone who can put in the day would have a great networking opportunity for the FSP—email me if you want to take bumper stickers, FSP cards, or pins.  And please, please go.  It’ll be worth your while.

Folks in New Jersey, Maryland, and West Virginia—your states’ Libertarian Party Conventions are coming up soon, and we ought to be there to make sure the LP crowd knows about the Free State Project.  I’m looking into getting tables, but we’ll need folks to come, to mill about, to pass out stuff, and maybe even to speak for a few minutes on the project.  If you believe in activism, here’s the place to start.  (A bonus for New Jersey-ites: FSP President Amanda Phillips is already signed on to speak to the NJLP.) Email me if you’re interested in attending and helping out.

For upcoming local LP events (potential outreach opportunities) see:
Virginia - http://www.lpva.com/Calendar/events.asp
Maryland - http://www.md.lp.org/events/events05.html#Upcoming
Delaware - http://www.de.lp.org/events.php
West Virginia – under construction
Pennsylvania - http://www.lppa.org/
New Jersey – not updated yet - http://www.njlp.org/events.php
DC – currently not meeting, but who knows? - http://www.lp-dc.org/

For gun folks, I’ve got upcoming shows:
February 11, 12, & 13, Chantilly, VA, Dulles Expo Center
February 19 & 20, Upper Marlboro, PG County Showplace Arena
Email me if you want to work a table.

And (not for the first time), I’m putting out the call for folks who are willing to put banners on overpasses.  If you have a good spot, I will help you get the thing up there.  This is major exposure, and we need it.

And last but not least, on January 29th, our own Keith Murphy will be saying farewell to Maryland and hello to liberty.  We’ll have another get-together that day to see him off and wonder why we’re not going with him.  1pm at City Crab and Seafood in Greenspring Station (2360 W. Joppa Road, Lutherville—exit 23 off the Baltimore Beltway).  RSVP to me at krick@freestateproject.org.

Kate
www.ronpaulhq.com

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
Re: Mid-Atlantic FSP - MD, n VA, DE, DC, se PA
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2005, 09:43:43 am »

Posted a second ago on the Yahoo Group:

Hey all,

I know this is spectacularly late notice, but I have to go out of town this weekend, so a Kate-hosted meeting is not going to happen.  That doesn't mean that a meeting won't happen, though--if you want to get together, organize here, on the forum, or through me--krick at freestateproject dot org.

The news is that I've decided to step down as Mid-Atlantic group leader.  As many of you know, my husband Adam is already in New Hampshire, and I'm looking to follow him within the next few months.  But mostly, I want to concentrate in these last pre-NH days on my own activism, which has fallen prey to competing responsibilities and the never-too-successful effort to herd cats. ;)  Leaders should lead by example, and it is far more useful to have a good track record than a title.  Note to self.

I don't know yet who's going to take over, but I'll be at least minimally involved until that person surfaces.  In the mean time, I urge you all again to do what you can--every little bit helps--and think about being an "early mover."  20,000 is a good goal, and we should strive for it, but I believe we need far less.  (Having
recently bought a house, our neighbors have already offered to help us get involved in town government, and our state rep is arranging a time to have coffee with us.)  A few good people can do so much good.  Just keep that in mind.

Enough nagging from me.  I expect to see many of you before I leave, and I hope to see all of you in New Hampshire. 

Kate
www.ronpaulhq.com

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2005, 09:20:12 pm »

I asked this on the Yahoo group last week, but is anyone interested in getting together on Saturday, March 19th?  I had an email from someone who hasn't come to a meeting yet, and it would be great to have a good group for him to meet.  Any takers?
www.ronpaulhq.com

Steve

• FSP Board Member
  • Administrator
  • La Vero vin liberigos
    • Elegant Solutions
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2005, 09:50:05 pm »

I think we're due for a meeting, eh? We've probably all about recuperated from moving Keith.

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2005, 10:11:42 pm »

Great!  Two down, 400 to go.  I'll say it again: Who wants an FSP meeting on Saturday?   ;)
www.ronpaulhq.com

bookish_lass

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2005, 07:45:52 am »

First off, thanks to Kate Rick for all the incredible work she did with the Mid-Atlantic local group.  Kate has asked to step down from leading the group since she in moving to NH soon.  Her local group efforts will be missed, but we're looking forward to having her in NH.

Second, please welcome Phil Denisch who has agreed to take over the group.  Thanks for volunteering, Phil!  Phil is one of those indispensable Friends of the project who we can't thank enough.

Steve

• FSP Board Member
  • Administrator
  • La Vero vin liberigos
    • Elegant Solutions
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2005, 10:53:51 am »

Great!  Two down, 400 to go.  I'll say it again: Who wants an FSP meeting on Saturday?   ;)
Me! I am planning on being in the neighborhood by 11am for coffee, so be sure to tell me if plans change!

Friday

Medical Marijuana march in D.C. 8/13
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2005, 06:41:14 pm »

A group called Journey for Justice is organizing a march on Washington on Aug. 13 to push for legalization of medical marijuana.  I think this would be a great place to hand out some FSP brochures.  Is anyone in the D.C. area available to do this? Please let me know. Thanks!  :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DC JOURNEY FOR JUSTICE CALL TO ARMS
August 13, 2005
9:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Lafayette Park, North end of the Whitehouse
Washington, DC
All info at www.journeyforjustice.org

Watch the Latest promo created by photojournalist for DC J4J (provided
to us by long time Federal marijuana prisoner George Martorano, serving
life in prison on his first charge). 
http://www.michaelproductions.com/march

The first two Journeys for Justice (Ohio and Wisconsin) were put
together by myself and a number of patients involved in reform, some of whom
have since died.  I was trainer for the 3rd J4J through Florida, and
was 'along for the ride' on the 4th J4J through Texas organized by Kevin
Aplin and Jodi James.  Back in the early days we did it in wheelchairs
at 4 1/2 miles per hour (5 to 7 days depending on the state).  November
Coalition left the wheelchairs behind for the 5th J4J but were able to
cover 100 cities on their whirlwind journey across the nation.

The journeys were a reform effort supported by many groups and
individuals representing several important issues.  Our common beliefs were
that non-violent drug war prisoners would be a bigger benefit to society
if we weren't paying for them to sit in cells; that proper care and
rehabilitation of all prisoners lead to increased public safety; that
doctors and patients should be allowed to decide what helps without
government interference; and that free speech is urgent to the education of the
citizens. 

The spirit of those journeys is alive and well in the 6th and latest DC
Journey For Justice. A great diversity of people and groups have begun
to coalesce around this effort.  The media has already begun to talk
about it.

David Losa of FACTS is coming 3000 miles on his bicycle in the spirit
of Howard Woolridge (LEAP: Law Enforcement Against Prohibition ) and his
horse Missy, who have traveled the country twice on these issues.

Louis Korn from Hawaii writes, "That body count of living protesters to
stop the mounting body count of the dead and dying in our prisons is
extremely important, not only for its victims but for ourselves, [who
are] in growing danger of becoming its victims also.  I am deeply
gratified that you have developed a profound understanding of this evil and
resolute opposition to it."

Dean Becker of Drug Truth Network/Pacifica http://www.drugtruth.net
will be doing interviews with organizers, attendees and David Losa en
route. There will be a pre-march party on Friday night (August 12).  There
will be speakers and networking and the tremendous message to those in
power is FIX THIS MESS. Everything you need to know can be found at
http://www.journeyforjustice.org

It doesn't matter what kind of reform work is closest to your heart, if
you feel that these issues are not being properly addressed in a common
sense manner and, as such, are an assault on public safety, make every
effort to join us in Lafayette Park on the 13th of August. We'll be
there waiting for you.   

A DRCNet article about the DC Journey for Justice is included below.

With great faith in the power of the truth, and in you.
Kay Lee
kaylee1@charter.net
2683 Rockcliff Road S.E.
Atlanta, GA 30316-4013
404-212-0690
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Making The Walls Transparent
http://www.angelfire.com/fl3/starke
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
DRCNet ARTICLE: Two Million is Too Many --
Grassroots March Against Mass Imprisonment
Aims at Washington, DC
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/394/dcmarch.shtml

Friday

Cato Institute Constitution Day Conference
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2005, 12:08:46 pm »

The Cato Institute is hosting a Constitution Day Conference on 9/14/05 in Washington D.C.  Anyone who is planning to attend and would be willing to take some fliers to put on an information table, please let me know. Also, please consider wearing an FSP lapel pin or T-shirt. Thanks!  :)

http://www.cato.org/events/const_day/program.html

Friday

Re: Cato Institute Constitution Day Conference
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2005, 09:19:33 pm »

The Cato Institute is hosting a Constitution Day Conference on 9/14/05 in Washington D.C.  Anyone who is planning to attend and would be willing to take some fliers to put on an information table, please let me know. Also, please consider wearing an FSP lapel pin or T-shirt. Thanks!  :)

http://www.cato.org/events/const_day/program.html

FYI, this event has been rescheduled for Sept. 21.  I haven't heard from anybody who's going yet. Come on, somebody on this forum must attend events at the CATO INSTITUTE?? 

Friday

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2005, 10:40:29 am »

Hope springs eternal.  If any FSP activists in the Washington D.C. area are interested in helping the FSP reach its goal of 20,000 members by attending the occasional libertarian lecture at the Cato Institute and handing out some fliers (or simply wearing an FSP T-shirt), please let me know.  There's one happening tomorrow; the topic is eminent domain, and it's free.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cato Institute's Center for Constitutional Studies invites you to a Forum and Debate

Restoring Property Rights After Kelo v. New London

Monday, October 17, 2005
12:00 p.m.
(Luncheon to follow)

featuring Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX)
and a debate between Roger Pilon, Director, Cato Institute Center for Constitutional Studies and John Echeverria, Executive Director, Georgetown Environmental Law and Policy Institute

The public outcry that followed the Supreme Courts decision last June in Kelo v. New London has been loud and sustained. Americans have awakened at last to the power of government to take their homes and businesses and transfer title to othersall in the name of economic development. In response, legislatures across the country, including Congress, are introducing measures to better protect the rights of owners. Sen. John Cornyn, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee and a former justice on the Texas Supreme Court, has introduced one such bill. Please join us for a discussion of what Congress is doing to protect owners, followed by a debate over the issues at stake.

Cato events, unless otherwise noted, are free of charge.

To register, visit www.cato.org, e-mail events@cato.org,
fax (202) 371-0841, or call (202) 789-5229 by 12:00 p.m., Friday, October 14.
News media inquiries only (no registrations), please call (202) 789-5200.

Cato Institute
1000 Massachusetts Avenue N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20001

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2005, 08:14:49 am »

Friday,

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how many people in the DC area actually check the forum...  When I was the local leader down there, it was mostly Yahoo group action; maybe Phil can repost some of this stuff there for you.

And sadly, after advertising Cato events, I used to go by myself.  :(  FWIW, I thought it was very worthwhile, both from a publicity perspective (just folks seeing my name tag/affiliation) and an educational one.  So to everyone else: please go.

Kate
www.ronpaulhq.com

Friday

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2005, 12:12:49 pm »

Thanks for the tip, Kate. I do post these messages on the Yahoo group as well.  Unfortunately, there's no improvement in response there.  :P

freedomroad

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2006, 01:36:54 pm »

Volunteer for a FSP table in August

Hello everyone,

I am Keith Carlsen, the FSP Warped Tour coordinator.  The Warped Tour is a traveling festival that hops around North America every summer with over 70 rock/punk/metal bands. There is a special non-profit tent where various groups, like the FSP, are allowed to set up tables for free. FSP volunteers gave out flyers, stickers, and FSP matchboxes to thousands of music fans in five cities during 2005 (and we have even more stuff to give out this year).

I am traveling the Northest/Mid-atlantic leg of the Warped Tour.  I am still looking for volunteers to help at tables along the way.

It basically works like this:
-show up at the venue and meet up with the other volunteers around 9 AM
-do not dress like a prep or square
-activities include talking to other venders before the venue opens, working the table, walking around and handing out flyers, posting flyers in bathrooms…
- stay until 5:30 PM or leave earlier, it is up to you

If you want more information about helping with a table at any of the following cities/dates email me at warpedtour@freestateproject.org or PM me.

8/3 Philadelphia, PA Camden Tweeter Center
8/4 Scranton, PA Toyota Pavilion
8/5 Uniondale, NY Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum
8/6 Old Bridge, NJ Englishtown Raceway
8/9 Virginia Beach, VA Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
8/10 Bristow, VA Nissan Pavillion at Stone Ridge
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up