Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Mid-Atlantic FSP - MD, n VA, DE, DC, se PA  (Read 69430 times)

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
Re:Mid-Atlantic FSP - MD, n VA, DE, DC, se PA
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2004, 03:45:37 pm »

Hey all,

Thanks to everyone who showed up at the gun show this weekend.  We actually managed to have a pretty good meeting in the middle of it yesterday, with a bunch of folks I didn't even expect, so I'd call the weekend a rousing success.

To give a brief account, we had a pretty well-placed table with an FSP banner, a few t-shirts, bumperstickers, and literature.  I think Spear single-handedly gave away nearly 100 brochures this morning alone.  Today, we had the genius of Josh Henly, who contributed a Gadsden flag and the one with the cannon that says, "Come and take it."  That got us a whole lot of attention. ;)  Anyway, folks stopped by to chat (or Spear stopped them), and we got a whole lot of positive responses.  Long-term, I'd say we got the name out there with a bunch of new and interested folks.

Thanks to Spear, Phil Denisch, Adam, the Eagles, Steve Cobb, and Glen and Antonia (who I believe came after I left today).  I'd like to recognize Josh in particular for contributing his entire weekend, getting other folks to come, lending his flags, and (unbelievably) volunteering to do it again.  We need more activism like this, and we need more activists like him.  

I hope to see some other folks too at the conference in Crystal City next weekend.  I'll post details here and on the Yahoo group when I have them.  Email me if you need anything else.

Kate
It's time for President Paul.
www.ronpaulhq.com

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2004, 04:02:32 pm »

Here's a picture taken by Steve Cobb yesterday:
from left to right, Josh Henly, Adam Rick, Kate Rick

There were also some other Porcs who helped out yesterday and today.

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2004, 04:45:25 pm »

Since we're recognizing genius, I would like to recognize that of Phil Denisch.  He bought a "waterproof ammo container" at the show, and used it in the following manner:

It was left to the gun-show attendees to decide whether we were soliciting cash  or .308 cartridge donations.  :D

But in all seriousness, it was a great weekend for the FSP members in the mid-atlantic region.  We talked to dozens of genuinely interested folks, and handed out countless pieces of FSP literature.  We even sold an FSP t-shirt to someone who had never even heard of us before, and got a sympathetic radio show host to promise an FSP plug!

- margomaps (er, Josh)

Steve

• FSP Board Member
  • Administrator
  • La Vero vin liberigos
    • Elegant Solutions
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2004, 05:34:34 pm »

Receivers of Richard Boddie's mailings just got this:
-----------
As Libertarians, libertarians, anarcaps, and individual liberty activists. we should constantly be reminded of the following eloquent words and thoughts:

"... it does not require a majority to prevail,  but  rather
             an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires
                in people's minds...."       ~  Samuel Adams

Carpe Diem,

Richard B. Boddie
              Freedom Strategist

Free - Market  News  Network
   <http://www.freemarketnews.com>

*   'Minority'  here is not a reference to  blacks / African-Americans.
    "The  smallest  minority  on  earth   is   the  individual.   Those who
deny
      individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities."  ~ Ayn Rand

Amanda

• former FSP President
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2004, 02:24:02 pm »

Great job. Thanks for the pictures! Awesome stuff. :)
"The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations." -- David D Friedman, The Machinery of Freedom

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2004, 09:39:21 pm »

Posted to the Yahoo group this evening:

The latest, unfortunately, is that Evan won't be speaking.
Apparently his deal fell through. But NH FSPer Mike Pelletier and
his wife made the trip and will be in attendance all weekend. I'll
be heading over myself tomorrow for at least a little while. (I have
to plead busyness because I'm buying my NH home this week.) For
anyone in the area with an interest in gun rights, it should be an
informative weekend.

On a related topic, I realize that the gun topic may not be the hot
button issue for everyone. It isn't actually primarily what gets me
riled. So, if people wouldn't mind telling me, I'd like to know what
issues you all care about so I can try to cover more bases.

Kate
www.ronpaulhq.com

Steve

• FSP Board Member
  • Administrator
  • La Vero vin liberigos
    • Elegant Solutions
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2004, 08:30:22 am »

This was posted to the Yahoo group LibertyBandwagon.  Maybe some of our talented Flash developers could make something similarly amusing for the FSP.  Badnarik certainly could use such help.

----------------------------------
   Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 17:03:00 -0000
Subject: It is good to be in DC

By now we have all seen the JibJab parody "This land is my land" They
have a new one out called "It is good to be in DC". It is not quit as
funny as the first but it is still a good laugh. I found it here.

http://www.my-funny-stuff.com/dc-land.htm

Rusty

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2004, 10:57:16 am »

Sent out this morning:

FSP Mid-Atlantic Group
October Meeting and Upcoming Events

Another third Saturday’s coming up, so get ready for the monthly meeting on October 16th at 1pm. I’ll be out of town, so our own Josh Henly will be running the show, and his chosen venue is Ram’s Head in Laurel, MD. Please rsvp to directly to Josh at margomaps@hotmail.com.

Take 95N or 95S to 32E
Take 32E to the first exit: route 1 South (stay to the right)
Take 1 South to the first stop light (Howard St.), and take a right on Howard
Howard St. quickly becomes Baltimore St.
Follow Baltimore St. until it ends (Fair St.), and take a left on Fair
Follow Fair St. until it ends at Washington St.; parking lot is to the right

Savage Mill is a large mill complex. Once you enter, just keep following the main hallway until you eventually find The Ram's Head on the right. Ask for the FSP table.

We’ve got a lot to talk about and I hope you all will try to make it. I also want to ask everyone a few questions about your relationship with the FSP so I can do a better job as local leader:

1. I’d love to know why we’re all here. If I know what issues you all care about, I can try to come up with events/protests/campaigns/fundraisers that will appeal to you.

2. How do you get your FSP information, and how would you like to? Is the Yahoo group useful for us? Does anyone check the forum thread? Do you like these emails or hate them?

3. What do you believe your role is currently in the FSP? Are you interested in recruiting to help us reach 20,000 members? If so, what are you willing to do?

Upcoming Events

Cato Institute - Oct. 22
Lessons from the Iraq War: Reconciling Liberty and Security
Luncheon speaker: Nick Gillespie, Reason Magazine
http://cato.org/events/041022conf.html

Alliance for the Separation of School and State - Nov. 20-22
SepCon2004 - “Get the Kids Out”
http://sepcon.org

I’m sorry I’ll miss you all. Please feel free to get in touch with me at krick at freestateproject dot org if you have any questions or need help with projects of your own.

Kate
www.ronpaulhq.com

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2004, 02:52:47 pm »

Posted on the Yahoo group a minute ago...

Hey all,

We have a big conference coming up in November: the Alliance for the Separation of School and State will host SepCon 2004 in DC.  The great news for us is that on Monday, November 22, they will run roundtable discussions, and we have a member who is willing to put up the table fee.  What we need now is someone who can lead the discussion.  This will be a great opportunity, with tons of networking potential, and we will pay for the volunteer's admission (Monday only, unfortunately--the whole thing's too expensive).  

Details available at http://sepcon.org/

We need someone to step up to the plate! ;) Do I have any takers?  

Kate
www.ronpaulhq.com

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
Mid-Atlantic: Flyer Your Neighborhood This Weekend
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2004, 12:28:18 pm »

Posted on the Yahoo group:

Hey all,

We (the FSP as a whole) seem to be experiencing some downtime here, and I'd like to enlist your help in getting back up to speed.  Let's get the Mid-Atlantic group out of the gates first.

The idea is simple.  I'm a huge fan of on-the-ground activism, and my somewhat misnamed role as local "leader" exists at least in part to facilitate what local folks want to do.  So let's put the facilitator role into action.  

Let's declare October 29-31 the official Mid-Atlantic FSP Flyer Your Neighborhood Weekend.  Stick them on community cork boards, hand them out at metro stops, trap them beneath windshield wipers, put them in mailboxes--whatever.  Just get them out there.  

As, hopefully, an added help, if you live anywhere in the DC area, you can pick the flyers up from me.  No printing or copy charges (and none on the local group dime either).  Just the cost of your time.  I'm living in Bethesda now, and I'd be happy to drive a pile to at least one other area location on Saturday if a few people can agree on a drop off location.  Email me at krick at freestateproject dot org to set up a pick up time or discuss delivery options.

Let's not sit and wait for the member count to go up.  Let's make it go up.

Kate
www.ronpaulhq.com

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
Mid-Atlantic: FREE FSP FLYERS
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2004, 10:16:10 am »

Yahoo group post from this morning:

Hello there,

I'm still looking for takers for free FSP flyers to deposit in your neighborhoods (or any place other than a trash can). To reiterate the point, I will DELIVER these flyers if I have to to get people to distribute them. I will make as many copies as you want of whatever flyers you want. Hell, I'll write new ones. (In fact, with a few restrictions, I'll reimburse you for copies if that's more convenient.)* But I need you to agree to spend one hour of your time over the next week getting the flyers out there.

This is exactly the sort of stuff that we'll have to do in New Hampshire eventually, and in order to get to that point, we're going to have to do it here first. There is no reason in the world for us not to double the FSP membership in the Mid-Atlantic area--let's lead
the charge.

Kate

*For those of you outside my immediate delivery area (DC area into Northern Virginia and Maryland) I called my local Kinkos and got a quote of 9 cents per page for black-and-white copies. If you want to make your own copies, email me at krick at freestateproject dot org to get the okay, and I will reimburse you for up to 100 copies per person at a comparable rate (with a receipt and copy of the flyer used mailed to me). This is a standing offer, not limited to this weekend or any other time period prior to the signing of the 20,000th member.
www.ronpaulhq.com

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
Re:Mid-Atlantic FSP - A little shameless promotion
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2004, 03:53:57 pm »

Bored in DC?  Come keep me company at this conference tomorrow on federalism, wine shipment, and medical marijuana: http://www.aei.org/events/type.upcoming,eventID.944,filter.all/event_detail.asp

Edit: At Steve Cobb's excellent prompting, I'll mention that AEI is the only DC think tank (and one of the few think tanks altogether) so far to take the FSP seriously.  We had Jason Sorens here in February--http://www.aei.org/events/eventID.754,filter./event_detail.asp

Part of being taken seriously is seeming like an actual organization instead of just a couple of people on the Internet, and showing up to events, whether at AEI, Cato, or wherever, and identifying ourselves as members of the FSP helps tremendously.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 09:57:48 am by kater »
www.ronpaulhq.com

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
Re:Mid-Atlantic FSP - Meeting!
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2004, 04:48:27 pm »

FSP Mid-Atlantic Group
November Meeting and Announcements

Saturday, November 20th, 1pm
Luigi’s Restaurant - http://www.famousluigis.com
1132 19th Street, NW
Washington, DC

Come on up to the second floor—I have a table reserved, and it should be quiet and conducive to some real work (with some good food).  Because of the reservations, I will ask people (more seriously, this time) to try to rsvp to krick at freestateproject dot org in advance.  No harm done if you can’t, but we can make sure to have a seat for you.

Now that the election’s over with, let’s get back to business.  The FSP needs more members than it has, and I’m taking it on as a personal goal to add 200 new folks (to our 400-ish now) in the Mid-Atlantic region in the next six months.  That’s half of what we’d get if everyone who receives this email recruited one person.  It’s more than doable.

To that end, I’m going to ask for help on a few projects, and offer help on projects that you come up with.  My projects include:

-   The great flyer give-away.  This is activism at its simplest—just tack these things anywhere you can reach.  I’ll supply the flyers, you supply an hour of your time.  I’ll bring a pile to the meeting.

-   FSP overpass banners.  A cheap way to get seen by a bunch of people right when they feel least inclined to be meek and agreeable (i.e, when they’re stuck in traffic on the way to work).  We can put these things up everywhere from I-95 to various beltways—anywhere with a nasty rush hour will do.  We need slogan ideas and volunteers.  I can make a few of these and try to find ways to fund them (donations, anyone?), or you can take this on as your own activism with any help I can offer.

-   Keith Murphy’s radio ad.  Keith is working on a radio buy for a Baltimore station that targets our audience.  He needs to raise some more money, and may still be taking edits on the script.  To get involved email him at kmurphy at freestateproject dot org or go to http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=8630

That leaves your stuff.  Tell me what you want to do, what you need help on, whatever—it’s my job to be of assistance.  Every one of us is less than 3 recruitments away from New Hampshire, and I don’t know about you, but I’m no longer in a patient mood.  Let’s get started.  Hope to see you Saturday.

Upcoming Events:

The D.A.R.E. Generation Returns to DC – SSDP 2004 Conference - http://www.ssdp.org/home/ssdp_conference2004_info.htm
November 17–20, University of Maryland, College Park
Students—join Students for Sensible Drug Policy for four days of discussion and lobbying.  Details at http://www.ssdp.org/

SepCon2004 - http://www.sepcon.org/
November 20–22, Washington, DC
Government-schooling foes of the world unite!  The Alliance for the Separation of School and State hosts its annual conference.  If education is your issue, this is the place to be.  Registration information at http://www.sepcon.org/regform.php

Next Meeting: Saturday, December 18th

Kate
www.ronpaulhq.com

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2004, 11:28:29 am »

Posted on the Yahoo group a minute ago:

Has anyone in the New Jersey area heard about the Citizens for Property Tax Reform?  They're supposed to have about 500,000 members in the state, and might be a group to get to know better.  The argument for the FSP is a bit nuanced in this case (what with NH property taxes), but these people are obviously in the right vein.  Anyone want to give it a shot?

http://www.citizens4propertytaxreform.org/index.html
www.ronpaulhq.com

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2004, 02:23:04 pm »

Going out by email today if it kills me:

Free State Project
Mid-Atlantic Group
December 2004 Meeting and Announcements

Meeting
Holiday Activism
FSP Merchandise
Shadow Ad/Activism opportunity in Philadelphia

Hi everyone.  First off, you should plan on NOT having a meeting on Saturday, December 18th.  As much as I hate to skip one, I think that sensitivity to the holiday schedule and an eye to activism make this a smart move.

Since the holiday thing is obvious, let me concentrate on the activism.  I like getting together every month.  But I like watching that member count go up too.  How about instead of a two-hour+ meeting, we each actively do something to make that count increase before the end of the year.  You could:

-   Hand out FSP literature
-   Make a highway banner
-   Buy FSP merchandise—including new FSP pins (more on this below)
-   Write a letter to the editor about your decision to join the FSP
-   Write an article about the FSP and send it in for publication
-   Wear the FSP URL on your commute to work
-   Call in to a radio show and mention the FSP
-   Talk to pro-liberty friends and relatives about the FSP
-   Contact local libertarian/pro-freedom groups to talk about the FSP
-   Be creative—and ask for help if you need it

On the merchandise front, give the gift of liberty (lol).  Purchase FSP merchandise at the newly redesigned—and re-priced—FSP store (http://freestateproject.org/getinvolved/store.php); it’s a donation and a walking advertisement all in one.  As for the shiny new FSP pins, I purchased 30 for our local group—contact me to get a few hand-delivered (within a reasonable distance).  They’re $6 each or two for $10.  Those funds will go straight into our local group bank account.

For those of you in Philadelphia, you may not have seen a post on the forum about a 10-year old girl in Philly who was handcuffed and arrested for bringing a pair of scissors to school.  She was suspended and still faces the possibility of expulsion.  This is exactly the kind of government heavy-handedness that draws people to the Free State Project.  I’d like to help organize a protest/letter-writing campaign/advertising campaign to highlight how dumb this is and remind people that government control is not the only option.  Please contact me at krick at freestateproject dot org if you are in the area and willing to help.  (See http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=55;action=display;threadid=8910 for the story.)

Happy Holidays, and let’s make sure to start the new year with one goal in mind: liberty now.

Kate
www.ronpaulhq.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

anything