Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about Dover....  (Read 4214 times)

Randall Danger

• FSP Participant
  • Oppression is the enemy and I'm Bruce Lee!
    • Anarchy Soda
Questions about Dover....
« on: April 10, 2004, 05:11:09 am »

I plan to move to Dover because I already have a buddy there... Unfortunatly; he only comes to kentucky in the summer and I'm too cheap to call him, so I figured I'd ask these questions here. As far as size goes, I'm really hoping that Dover is more like my hometown (Knoxville, TN) than where I am now (Corbin, Kentucky). It sounds to me like most of NH is backwoodsy like kentucky is, but Dover is a pretty decently sized city, isn't it? Woods are nice and all, but I miss living in a psuedo-metropolis. I'm also wondering about the availability of things like PC hardware stores like CompUSA and Fry's. Is there a good amount of stores like that? I was also wondering if there is any sort of punk scene there. All the good bands in knoxville broke up, and all the places to play shut down. As far as I can tell there is no scene here in Corbin, and I'm starting to miss it :-[ Thanks in advance for any answers.
There is no sig here.... Move along.

Gerry LaVallee

• FSP Participant
  • Hunting, camping, or both.......too many choices
Re:Questions about Dover....
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 06:35:40 am »

There is a pretty good site that has overviews of all NH towns
http://www.nhes.state.nh.us/elmi/communpro.htm

specifically Dover:
http://www.nhes.state.nh.us/elmi/htmlprofiles/dover.html

But for the more detailed stuff like stores, sorry I can't kelp you.
gerrbear
I work, because millions on welfare depend on me.

bookish_lass

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 07:11:50 am »

Dover's a fair sized city.  To answer questions about local businesses in places I've been contemplating moving to, I've been checking the yahoo yellow pages:

Dover Yellow Pages

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 08:15:15 am »

I've been in Dover since February.  Not sure what you mean by fair size, but Dover is around 28,000.  Pretty much any type of stores you might want are within a short driving distance.  While I'm not certain, but guessing the punk scene might be stronger in Portsmouth, about 20 minutes drive time.  There is a pretty large tourist element there in the summer I'm told.

What you have in the Seacoast area is lots of little towns fairly close together.
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Randall Danger

• FSP Participant
    • Anarchy Soda
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 09:24:52 am »

Heh, I went and looked up the population for Knoxville to compare, it's got around 150k people. Dover is definetly a lot smaller than I was hoping for :-[ It's still a LOT bigger than Corbin though! ;D As long as it actualy looks like a city and not a bunch of cheap houses and trailers randomly thrown together, I'm happy :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 09:25:20 am by GhostCow »

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 09:44:48 am »

Nothing in NH approaches 150k.  I'm currently staying in a converted hotel in downtown Dover.  Really a pretty little town, with a river running through the middle of it.  Nearly everything you need is within walking distance.  The RR station to Boston is only a 5 minute walk.

If you want change, Portsmouth, and Rochester are within 20 minutes, each offering a little different flavor.  BTW distance up here is measured in minutes! :D

If you decide to visit feel free to give me a buzz.  Expect to shortly have a pretty sizable list of folks in the area willing to met and greet with visitors.
Please join us!

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Randall Danger

• FSP Participant
    • Anarchy Soda
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 09:28:50 pm »

I plan to take a trip to Dover and to Littleton in late August to check out the scenery and visit GG Allin's grave (he was born on August 29th). I'll get up with you some time closer to me leaving.

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 10:21:32 am »

Super!!!  Look forward to hearing from you. :)
Please join us!

Karl

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 10:38:55 am »

Nothing in NH approaches 150k.

Manchester has 108K, and is the largest city.  Remember, the definition of a N.H. city is very different from one in Tennesee and the rest of the country.  Knoxville is currently 200 sq miles, and I presume regularly annexes surrounding county land, while Manchester is fixed in size at 33 sq miles; all towns in N.H. have a fixed geography typically around 50 sq. miles.  The 200 square miles encompassing Manchester, which includes the towns of Bedford, Derry and Hooksett, has a population much larger than Knoxville.

If there is any kind of "scene" in New Hampshire, the Manchester area is where its at.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 10:52:21 am by Karl Beisel »

Randall Danger

• FSP Participant
    • Anarchy Soda
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 08:22:20 am »

Thanks for clearing that up, I'm even more excited about moving now! ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up