Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Concord Monitor Editorial  (Read 8611 times)

Karl

Re:Concord Monitor Editorial
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2004, 11:01:40 am »

My reading is that the article actually agrees with the secessionist sentiments of the Killingtonians but takes a swipe at both the FSP and Benson..

Based on the "education in poorer communities" comment, I suspect they want Killington for the same reason that Vermont doesn't want to let it go -- to rob them blind.

This is just two thieves (the Vermont legislature and the statists at the Concord Monitor) fighting over the loot.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 11:03:44 am by Karl Beisel »

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2004, 11:10:15 am »

It's not loot - it's "revenue enhancement" ;) Ask any liberal..... :)

The VT SoS is saying that there is no way Killington will be allowed to seceed - This gives us the opportunity to stand up for the people aginst big government, and make a huge splash out of it.

Justin and I have a great TV ad in mind.....

Anyone else interested in a second round of Killington shadow ads?

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

BillG

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2004, 11:16:32 am »

My reading is that the article actually agrees with the secessionist sentiments of the Killingtonians but takes a swipe at both the FSP and Benson..

Based on the "education in poorer communities" comment, I suspect they want Killington for the same reason that Vermont doesn't want to let it go -- to rob them blind.

This is just two thieves (the Vermont legislature and the statists at the Concord Monitor) fighting over the loot.

no, we just want reduce rate skiing tickets at Killington for in state residents...

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2004, 11:35:28 am »

Anyone else interested in a second round of Killington shadow ads?

First we need to know what's next.  Where does Killington go from here?  What's their next step?

Once we know this, then we can answer the next question:  How can we help them out and how much will this benefit us?
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

Karl

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2004, 11:46:14 am »

Here's my take on an LTE reply.  I don't do this normally, since I'm not in-state yet, but they attacked the FSP, and as a member, I feel I should come to its defense.

---

In your March 5 editorial, "Yes to Killington", you attack everyone who sympathizes with the plight of people of Killington -- the people of Killington themselves, Governor Benson, and the Free State Project, of which I am a member.  The one thing you don't attack is the idea of welcoming Killington to New Hampshire, much as a pirate might welcome a heavily laden merchant ship, being pursued by a rival pirate, straight into its own clutches.

The people of Killington are of the same breed as a great many New Hampshire residents.  Neither take kindly to fringe opinions like this one in the Concord Monitor accusing them of being unwilling to, among other things, help educate poorer citizens.  As if they were given a choice!  If the Monitor truly cared about educating citizens in poorer communities, it would send money to those families in need instead of attacking those it feels aren't up to its apparently high standards.

The Monitor can start by donating generously to the newly established Liberty Scholarship Fund (lsfund.org).  The Liberty Scholarship Fund awards scholarships and other financial aid to low-income New Hampshire families to help their children attend quality private schools.  It was, in part, founded by Free State Project members, the very group you malign in your editorial.

Karl Beisel
Arlington, Virginia

(Edited with recommended changes + clarity on the pirate metaphor)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 08:44:52 am by Karl Beisel »

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2004, 01:46:11 pm »

Hey Eric:

That's great, but the CM isn't a fringe paper - It is a major paper in mid NH. However, you COULD say "fringe opinions like the one in the Monitor" and be spot on.

As for where we go now, it goes to the NH legislature next.

FSP member Henry McElroy is introducing the bill, which I expect to pass.

While this is going on, I believe we should be raising money for another ad run, aimed at the VT SoS saying that there is no way the voice of the people in Killington will be heard. We encourage people in VT to call their reps, and join the FSP.

THEN it goes on to the VT leg, which will likely vote it down.

And then - The U.S. Congress.

That's where we are at. :)

JM
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 01:46:57 pm by jgmaynard »
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

Karl

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2004, 04:28:19 pm »

That's great, but the CM isn't a fringe paper - It is a major paper in mid NH. However, you COULD say "fringe opinions like the one in the Monitor" and be spot on.

That's really what I meant; I'll change it.  Thanks.

Karl

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2004, 09:40:29 am »

My LTE (above) published, March 10

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2004, 10:10:11 am »

My LTE (above) published, March 10

Great work Karl!

SethA

• FSP Participant
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2004, 10:26:57 am »

Nice letter Karl, that's a nice way of putting them in their place and offering a great alternative.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up