Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: thoughts on the paid presidency  (Read 6822 times)

Amanda

• former FSP President
thoughts on the paid presidency
« on: March 04, 2004, 12:49:58 pm »

In response to some comments floating about regarding a paid presidency, I'd like to make it clear that I refuse payment for my services as Free State Project President. A paid presidency was the Board's decision and not mine, but I will support the Board's decision and help pave the way for the next FSP President. I am happy to serve as FSP President, unpaid, for as long as the organization needs me. The only repayment that I desire is the ultimate success of the Free State Project. Nothing would make me happier.
"The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations." -- David D Friedman, The Machinery of Freedom

atr

• FSP Participant
Re:thoughts on the paid presidency
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 01:08:58 pm »

The only repayment that I desire is the ultimate success of the Free State Project. Nothing would make me happier.

Amen to that.

adonis79

• FSP Participant
  • TheFlowerOf SafetyLiesWithin ThePerilousThorns
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 01:13:49 pm »

We are all in your debt Amanda!
I have seen the freest among you wear their freedom as a yoke and a handcuff.
And my heart bled within me; for you can only be free when even the desire of freedom becomes a harness to you,  and when you cease to speak of freedom as a goal and a fulfillment.
Kahlil Gibran

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 01:31:52 pm »

:)

I got the handwritten thank you for the donation card you sent and then reading the transcript description from the documentary of "... her little anarchists shoes" .... totally adorable ;D
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 08:40:43 pm »

Hey Amanda,

Most of us understand and appreciate your effort.  Hoping that you understand that no matter what you do, someone is going to bitch, it's a shame those same people do so little to help us!

Hey Gal, "Can't wait until we all get to NH!" ;D
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 09:25:32 pm »

The only repayment that I desire is the ultimate success of the Free State Project. Nothing would make me happier.

Amanda,  I know that you've long desired to lead this organization,  as you've stood-out as a leader in this organization from your first involvement, and you've done a lot of good.

If the FSP is to be a success,  the notariety and resume-building potential, not to mention the historical footnote with your name as having a hand in leading this great effort should be worth it alone.

Few people,  however, have the time, the patience, or the endurance to hold-out long-term in what you are doing as president since daily pressures of the 'here-and-now' take their toll.  But don't just take it from me:

. . . all of us are volunteers. We all have businesses to run or jobs and families. Picture yourself in our situations. In addition to your normal life, you add 20-40 hours a week for the FSP.    . . .
. . .

I think that there seems to be a lot of stigma and even outright resistance to the idea of having a paid president,  it's certainly not something you want to be found urging while you are in the running for receiving a salary,  but the reality is that it is a lot of work for one person, even when you have many supportive volunteers (perhaps even more work when there are a lot of volunteers in the organization's growing infrastructure) so making *the right decision* is a real dilema.

If that is going to be your stance, I say thank you, thank you!  how noble of you.  But at the same time,  I hope, for the sake of the project, that as the membership grows, there never arises any serious leadership defficiency or the flames of volunteerism dwindle because of one stance or another about this issue of compensation.

It seems I am of two opinions over this whole matter of paid presidency,  but I agree with your sentiments and add that the success of the FSP will bring a lot of happiness, especially to those who toiled the greatest for it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 09:26:07 pm by Kelton Baker »
Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

Amanda

• former FSP President
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 11:37:16 pm »

. . . all of us are volunteers. We all have businesses to run or jobs and families. Picture yourself in our situations. In addition to your normal life, you add 20-40 hours a week for the FSP.    . . .
. . .

I think that there seems to be a lot of stigma and even outright resistance to the idea of having a paid president,  it's certainly not something you want to be found urging while you are in the running for receiving a salary,  but the reality is that it is a lot of work for one person, even when you have many supportive volunteers (perhaps even more work when there are a lot of volunteers in the organization's growing infrastructure) so making *the right decision* is a real dilema.

If that is going to be your stance, I say thank you, thank you!  how noble of you.  But at the same time,  I hope, for the sake of the project, that as the membership grows, there never arises any serious leadership defficiency or the flames of volunteerism dwindle because of one stance or another about this issue of compensation.

It seems I am of two opinions over this whole matter of paid presidency,  but I agree with your sentiments and add that the success of the FSP will bring a lot of happiness, especially to those who toiled the greatest for it.

Kelton, thanks for the thoughtful comments. You are perhaps the person among us who has the most insight into this. Things have been *crazy* for the last few weeks. At the craziest moments, I thought of you and remembered how your grace and charm carried you through the most difficult situations.

I absolutely support the board's decision to go with a paid president in the future. I will do my very best to get things ready for the next president, and I will gladly hand over the reins when the board decides the time has come. This organization is bigger and more important than any one person, and I want what is best for the project. I do believe that paying someone (else) full-time so they can really focus on the needs of the organization without outside distraction is the best course of action. I will step down and help that person when the time comes.
"The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations." -- David D Friedman, The Machinery of Freedom

Radio

• FSP Participant
  • Escapee from CA
    • ENTJ Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2004, 08:46:27 pm »

In response to some comments floating about regarding a paid presidency, I'd like to make it clear that I refuse payment for my services as Free State Project President. A paid presidency was the Board's decision and not mine, but I will support the Board's decision and help pave the way for the next FSP President. I am happy to serve as FSP President, unpaid, for as long as the organization needs me. The only repayment that I desire is the ultimate success of the Free State Project. Nothing would make me happier.

Very generous of you, Amanda. We truly are in your debt. Wish you the very best.

alanrweiss

• FSP Participant
  • Have a high performance day
    • Synchromesh Computing
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 09:59:22 pm »

:D

Whenever I question "this" ... I am reminded of just how special, how outstanding, how awesome some of the people we have in the Free State Project.

Such is the case with you, Amanda Phillips.

You are my friend, but more than that, you are a leader who deserves a shot at leading.  So be it.  We're here for you, every step of the way.

"And miles to go before we sleep."

Alan R. Weiss
N.A.C.
Alan R. Weiss
CEO, Synchromesh Computing, LLC
6300 Bridgepoint Parkway
Bridgepoint Parkway, Suite 125
Austin, Texas 78730 USA
Voice: 512-219-0302 Fax: 512-219-0402
Skype: alanrweiss78726 AIM: alanrweiss78726 SMS: 5125176507@mobile.mycingular.com
Email: alan@synchromeshcomputing.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up